Question about Joannie Rochette | Golden Skate

Question about Joannie Rochette

chania36

On the Ice
Hi, although I love her free program and that I believe that she is the best female skater that Canada had in a very long time, the free for her olympic year, I just do not feel that it is up there with the last year's one, Firebird.

I would hope that she would decide on doing the Firebird one at the olympics, this program is a masterpiece itself and she skates that program better then any other I've seen so far, dont take me wrong, I love this program this year, but last year she had special something with her long program, I think it would do her great to do it at the olympics.

Let me know what you think about it.

Saundy

On the Ice
Yeah I agree that she should go back to her program from last year. This years, while alot don't like it, I like it alot. It is nothing near her Firebird program, but is still nicely done just the same. This is of course thanks to David Wilson who is simply an amazing artist when it comes to creating programs.

She seems to be more comfortable with Firebird and I think if she wants to up the ante, and possibly become more competetive at the Olys, she needs to revert back to this program. I'm not confident she will though, but you never know! February is still a nice ways away.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I think she should return to Firebird as well. That program was something special for Joannie. It was unlike any Firebird we've ever seen and it was different from everybody else's programs. This year's program fades in with the others a bit too easily I think. Firebird made her stand out, and if she wants to have any hope of being in the top six at Olys, that's what she needs to do.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
From the performances thus far this season, I don't think the music selections + choreo = Joannie's best. I LOVED Firebird last season. I'm not sure returning to a "tried" program is best for her either (that's a team Joannie decision IMO) but IMO, that would be better than what's on the ice now. I think she is far more capable than her programs suggest, at this stage in the season anyway. IMO Firebird was a better program for Joannie to highlight what she's good at. I'm not sure this years programs really accomplish that.

DG

MissCleo

On the Ice
I loved her LP last year. A few weeks ago, I heard the Firebird Suite on the radio. For some odd reason, I could not remember the name of it, but all I knew was that Joannie skated to it. Thats how much I enjoyed it.

Wilson's skating choreo to Firebird is, imo, the best one ever and Joannie was simply great doing it. I like the choreo to the new LP which is some sort of commpilation of French tunes. Very pretty. Joannie, imo, hasn't gotten it yet. She may before the Olys. There is time.

However, if she wants to skate to something more robust then Wilson should quickly get her a new routine. She could learn it, I am sure.

Joe

Miss Mushie

Spectator
Wonderful reviews everyone...I too am torn, I think that her LP this year has potential, I've only seen it once so I can't make a completely honest assessment of the program. I did love Firebird, but I did see it on tv etc a lot more and was at Nationals when she had that magical skate.

Either way, it's Joannie's decision, and I'll stick behind her 100%, because I know she can pull it off :)! I look forward to many more years of her skating! And seeing what types of programs she can pull off!

I am slightly bias, doing her official website...but it's nice to hear others opinions about her skate...I've heard many reviews either way, some saying they like and some want her to go back to Firebird, either way i'm happy! LOL!

Last edited:

Bowers

Rinkside
As I have stated elsewhere, I wish Joanie had half of the artistry as her fellow countrymen, Buttle and Sandhu. The likes of their artistry with her skills would be a real winner!