How this before the Olympics?!?--Z/Z land throw 4sal | Golden Skate

How this before the Olympics?!?--Z/Z land throw 4sal

gkelly

Record Breaker
Why would the ISU ratify anything that happened at a national competition?

Was the competition held under the new judging system? If so, then did the Chinese technical panel call the element as a quad?

If not, there's probably no system for "ratification" any more official than calling Meissner's triple axel at 2005 US Nationals a triple axel. (Although this throw may have been cleaner.)

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Don't get too excited - they had the quad sal before Salt Lake, too, but Shen Xue couldn't hold on to the landing when they attempted it there.
She almost had it, though. Just the attempt was breathtaking. I'd love to see them land it next month!
xoxo,
Rave

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ravyn Rant said:
Don't get too excited - they had the quad sal before Salt Lake, too, but Shen Xue couldn't hold on to the landing when they attempted it there.
She almost had it, though. Just the attempt was breathtaking. I'd love to see them land it next month!
xoxo,
Rave
The difference was Shen never landed quad throw in ANY competetion before 2002 Olympics, though they had the 50% rate in practice leading into the game.

Matt

On the Ice
I was under the impression that Shen never got credit as to officially landing the 4sal in competition--the SLC competition video says "the Chinese almost made history by becoming the first pair to land a quad throw in competition"

Surprisingly though, Chinese Nats appears to use the modified OBO system of judging put in place before CoP.

Even if the ISU doesn't have any jurisdiction in national championships, it would seem that Z/Z's throw 4sal would be the first to count as being cleanly landed in competition. Technically, Bonaly landed a 4toe at '91 Worlds, but fell on her face about 2 seconds after; the first cleanly landed quad by a woman was given to Ando's 4sal

mzheng

Record Breaker
Matt said:
I was under the impression that Shen never got credit as to officially landing the 4sal in competition--the SLC competition video says "the Chinese almost made history by becoming the first pair to land a quad throw in competition"

Surprisingly though, Chinese Nats appears to use the modified OBO system of judging put in place before CoP.

Even if the ISU doesn't have any jurisdiction in national championships, it would seem that Z/Z's throw 4sal would be the first to count as being cleanly landed in competition. Technically, Bonaly landed a 4toe at '91 Worlds, but fell on her face about 2 seconds after; the first cleanly landed quad by a woman was given to Ando's 4sal
Had 2002 using CoP, I guess S/Z's throw 4Sal would be called so with -3 GOE and another -1 taken out for the fall from the total score. But under 6.0 only those landed one with cleanly flow out counted.

I couldn't believe Chinese Nationals still use the modified OBO instead of CoP system.

Antilles

Medalist
I though China's fourth ranked pair (can't remember their names), landed a throw quad about two years back, and received credit for it. Doe someone else remember this?

A "first" at a national championship would be ratified by the ISU, as far as I know. It just needs to be at a sanctioned competition, which nationals are.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Antilles said:
I though China's fourth ranked pair (can't remember their names), landed a throw quad about two years back, and received credit for it. Doe someone else remember this?

A "first" at a national championship would be ratified by the ISU, as far as I know. It just needs to be at a sanctioned competition, which nationals are.

Yea, it's throw quad toe. But she was two footed.

Vash01

Medalist
Antilles said:

Their names are Ding and Ren. They are no longer skating (he is not skating).

Vash