Sasha wasn't the only one battling illness at Nationals | Golden Skate

Sasha wasn't the only one battling illness at Nationals

S

SkateFan4Life

Last evening, during the broadcast of the ladie's long program at Nationals, it was stated that Kimmie Meissner, who eventually won the silver medal, had been battling a nasty cold all week. Kimmie skated well, if a bit cautiously, and she fell on her final jump, a double axel. She looked a bit winded at the end of the program, and she then said she had been ill for a number of days and had to guts it out to skate a good long program.

Sasha Cohen, on the other hand, was vocal about telling everybody that she had been ill with the flu. Frankly, I think she (and her camp) were doing this so they would have a good excuse if she faltered on her long program and failed to win the gold medal. I don't doubt that she was ill a week ago; however, she was very, very sure that everybody knew about it.

Kimmie, on the other hand, was quiet about her health issues.

I'll take Kimmie's method of handling this issue any day.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Sasha looked sick. She was too sick to go through her programs at practices. When you are under a microsope like Sasha it would be kind of hard to hide being sick. Knowing that she is the national champ might give her that extra something to push through her programs instead of giving in to the splat monster.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Piel said:
Sasha looked sick. She was too sick to go through her programs at practices. When you are under a microsope like Sasha it would be kind of hard to hide being sick. Knowing that she is the national champ might give her that extra something to push through her programs instead of giving in to the splat monster.

Isnt that what she did here at Nationals? She did not avoid any errors, but she avoided falling even with her illness.

S

SkateFan4Life

Piel said:

Sasha was not the National champ going into Nationals. She had an unfortunate habit of buckling under pressure and making major mistakes in her long programs. I thought she looked healthy, and I'm glad she's recovered from her illness.

S

SkateFan4Life

OK, guys, I am glad that Sasha recovered from her illness. Perhaps this new title will give her the confidence to really "go for it" with her future competitive programs.

John King

Final Flight
My own silliness....

Best cure for a cold:prune juice!For one thing,you don't dare sneeze......

S

SkateFan4Life

John King said:
Best cure for a cold:prune juice!For one thing,you don't dare sneeze......

:laugh: I'll stick to my daily dosages of Vitamin C.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I think I read somewhere that Melissa Gregory was pretty sick, too, but you didn't hear any whining from her. She gets my nomination as one of the toughest cookies in figure skating!

Lanie

On the Ice
I'd heard that Kimmie had her cold before Nats started somewhere, I don't remember where, but I do remember reading about it online before the senior ladies part of the competition started. Sasha's also probably talked to by media people heck of a lot more than Kimmie...she was the favorite going on, people were writing articles about her, etc--not Kimmie.

Vash01

Medalist
Many skaters (and other athletes) get sick or injured before competitions but not everyone publicizes it the way Sasha's camp has been doing. I found the frequent reference to Sasha's flu a bit annoying.

Vash

She was not the only skater with the flu, but she was not well. It showed in her skating - not just the boo boos but the overall slow performance. She deserved to win though and that's what mattered.

Joe

Ageless

Spectator
I thought I heard that at least one of the junior dancers had a nasty case of food poisoning and barely got through the free dance. It seems that food poisoning has been a major factor at several major competitions over the last couple of years.

S

SkateFan4Life

Ageless said:
I thought I heard that at least one of the junior dancers had a nasty case of food poisoning and barely got through the free dance. It seems that food poisoning has been a major factor at several major competitions over the last couple of years.

Good Heavens! That is terrible. Food poisoning is absolutely horrible, especially when you have to put on ice skates and compete at championship level. :banging:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
As bad as it is, one junior skater having food poisoning does not a problem make and this isn't the first place that's alleged a food poisoning problem for St. Louis. I'm not sure where this food poisoning story is coming from but that's definitely one issue I heard NOTHING about the entire week I was at Nats. I was a volunteer behind the scenes and I stayed at the official hotel too. No one that I know of had any problems with the food other than the choices the skaters had in the lounges at the start of the week. I'd sure like more information rather than just a random post about food poisoning because that's a serious allegation to make about the Renaissance Grand hotel. :scratch: (Sorry if I sound a bit perturbed but like I said, I am only just now reading about random food poisoning allegations and that's definitely not something anyone was talking about in St. Louis so I'm a bit befuddled by these stories.)

The flu, sinus problems, laryngitis (Amanda Evora & Jennifer Wester are just two of the skaters who lost their voices at the beginning of the week), and colds were what I kept hearing about and it was sometimes easier to count who wasn't sick during the week. I know for sure that Melissa Gregory was not feeling well for the CD and OD on Tuesday but she was feeling much better by the time the FD came around on Friday night and I'm really proud of her for how well she performed in St. Louis. She's a rockstar. :yes: We could almost tell who had been dealing with illness throughout the week because their stamina at the end of their programs wasn't quite there and it made us cheer harder for them because we knew they were fighting hard just to be able to skate last week. I give mad props to all the skaters, officials, and other folks at Nats who battled illness last week. :rock:

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Wow... golden skate sure likes talkin about Sasha Cohen.... I see 4 posts starte by the same poster about Sasha Cohen on just the first page .....

R.D.

Record Breaker
talking about her, sure...and a good half of those posts are against her, too.

Peggy

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
Last evening, during the broadcast of the ladie's long program at Nationals, it was stated that Kimmie Meissner, who eventually won the silver medal, had been battling a nasty cold all week. Kimmie skated well, if a bit cautiously, and she fell on her final jump, a double axel. She looked a bit winded at the end of the program, and she then said she had been ill for a number of days and had to guts it out to skate a good long program.

Sasha Cohen, on the other hand, was vocal about telling everybody that she had been ill with the flu. Frankly, I think she (and her camp) were doing this so they would have a good excuse if she faltered on her long program and failed to win the gold medal. I don't doubt that she was ill a week ago; however, she was very, very sure that everybody knew about it.

Did you ever consider the media followed Sasha & Mr. Nicks everywhere and probably asked why she wasn't practicing her jumps,etc. Sasha was the Star of the Ladies and she could hardly hide she was sick. The flu and a cold both make you feel bad but the flu makes you weak. Maybe no one asked Kimmie if she felt bad. To delibertly not practice your jumps is not a smart thing to do and I'm sure Sasha is not dumb. I think she did the best she could and handled it very well considering she probably couldn't turn around without a camera stuck in her face.

Kimmie said:
As for Kimmie, why do you think she decided to share her cold with everyone? Do you think that was an excuse for falling down and not skating her best? I don't but I don't understand the difference in knowing they are sick before or after they skate. When Kimmie and the other ladies fell no one accused them for falling off the beam. In fact Kimmie was praised for not falling off the beam. Sasha is unfairly picked on time and time again. She is the only skater in the USA that is expected to be perfect and please everyone. It is a shame to treat her that way. She is a class act in my book.

Besides, I'm sure a lot of people were happy to know Sasha had the flu so they could stay away from her.
:)

Peggy

On the Ice
Piel said:
Sasha looked sick. She was too sick to go through her programs at practices. When you are under a microsope like Sasha it would be kind of hard to hide being sick.

I agree.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Kimmie, being fairly new to the senior ranks and knowing her chances of making the Olympic team were on the line, probably didn't feel as comfortable sharing that she was sick. She is not as used to the spotlight as Sasha. What does it really matter if someone chooses whether or not to discuss their health? Everyone handles illness differently. It dpoesn't make them a better or worse athlete or person.

The red, runny nose, coughing and sneezing are usually a give away.