Should Nationality Be Important for a Skater to Consider? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should Nationality Be Important for a Skater to Consider?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Red Dog - We are at odds again. No ambassadors to the Olys.

I am a figure skating fan and I don't care where the athlete is from who I think is the best that night, for one thing. For the more important thing, I am all for the skater who I believe has the best body of work over the years. That athlete is special wherever he/she comes from.

I don't care what country these athletes come from, and in America, I couldn't care less about their ancestral background. Just give me good skaters for the sport.

To me, anyone who is hung up on the nationality of the skater is more interested in the country in every which way than just in figure skating. Nothing wrong with that but I'm not impressed with what you have to say about figure skating.

But that's me. You can be yourself and hopefully the success of your country rubs off on you. (except for Kwan in your case.;) )

Joe

You have a point. But judging from your response, I think you're missing my main point.

The point I'm trying to make is this: When a country sends athletes to the Olympics (doesn't matter what sport they are competing in), those athletes, whether they like it or not, become ambassadors for that country. This means that they are representing that country. So, everything they do somehow or other reflects on that country. (I forgot who it was, but remember some US team trashed their locker room or something after losing? Or something like that. Do you think it reflected only on them, or did it paint a bad picture of the USA to other countries?) In the Opening Ceremonies, when those athletes come out in their Team X Uniforms, holding up the Country X flag, that's a unique moment for that country. The whole world is watching and cheering (hopefully) them on. I hope I not confusing you and you can now see my point. It has little to nothing to do with performance...it's how they conduct themselves in competition.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Well at least that was one individual and criticism of one fanatic is one thing...what about the US boycott of the 1980 games - pretty despicable if you ask me.
Not at all! Iran not only did not sanction the athlete, but they actually rewarded him for that decision! Iran did it, I'm sure, because they knew the IOC didn't have the spine for any actual action against the Iranian team.

I actually thing that US boycott of the '80 games was a very courageous decision. When I look back in history at the 1936 Munich Olympics, I sorely wish US boycotted those as well. Sometimes the countries do indeed need to take a stand.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Red Dog said:
You have a point. But judging from your response, I think you're missing my main point.

The point I'm trying to make is this: When a country sends athletes to the Olympics (doesn't matter what sport they are competing in), those athletes, whether they like it or not, become ambassadors for that country. This means that they are representing that country. So, everything they do somehow or other reflects on that country. (I forgot who it was, but remember some US team trashed their locker room or something after losing? Or something like that. Do you think it reflected only on them, or did it paint a bad picture of the USA to other countries?) In the Opening Ceremonies, when those athletes come out in their Team X Uniforms, holding up the Country X flag, that's a unique moment for that country. The whole world is watching and cheering (hopefully) them on. I hope I not confusing you and you can now see my point. It has little to nothing to do with performance...it's how they conduct themselves in competition.

ITA!!! Actually, the incident you recall -- some US team trashing a room after losting -- was the US men's hockey team after losing in Nagano. It was one critical reason why Michelle's handling of her loss to Tara was so widely reported and praised. It was because people did talk about the hockey team as though all Americans behaved badly -- and then Michelle changed that picture.

Ptichka said:
I actually think that US boycott of the '80 games was a very courageous decision. When I look back in history at the 1936 Munich Olympics, I sorely wish US boycotted those as well. Sometimes the countries do indeed need to take a stand.
I don't see how courage came into play at all. If the U.S. really had cared about whether the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan we could have done something about it (if we had had the courage). Piddling around saying, nyah nyah, just for that we are not going to let any American athletes run the hundred yard dash -- what good did that do?

Actually, what we did do is wait 20 years, then invade Afghanistan ourselves.

About the Munich games -- what people remember about it is Jesse Owens throwing Hiltler's racial superiority theories back in his face.

MM :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
ITA!!! Actually, the incident you recall -- some US team trashing a room after losting -- was the US men's hockey team after losing in Nagano. It was one critical reason why Michelle's handling of her loss to Tara was so widely reported and praised. It was because people did talk about the hockey team as though all Americans behaved badly -- and then Michelle changed that picture.

Interesting (thx for clarifying the incident). But definitely, it's so ironic that MK handled it the way she did because after all, Tara was a fellow American, not from another country. But I suppose it's the idea that got across, and that's what should count.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The majority of the TV audience for the Olympics gets into the national aspect of the games. NBC really gets off on showing the medal counts by country. I have to admit that I love to see the U.S.A. win! Seeing the stars and stripes raised higher than the other flags and hearing our National Anthem gives me chills and at times brings tears to my eyes. I think I am more of a fan of the whole Olympic experience more than of the sports. Most folks like cheering for the home team. For example, there is nothing I love more than "WVU football" but that is the only football I enjoy watching. The same for basketball. I think that when we see our country (or it's representative) win we feel like winners too.