Footwork levels - what does it take to get a level 3 or 4? | Golden Skate

Footwork levels - what does it take to get a level 3 or 4?

Lanie

On the Ice
Does anyone know what the exact requirements are for footwork sequences to get a higher level (ie 3 or 4 vs 2)? I was surfing around the ISU website and cannot find anything about it.

Lanie said:
Does anyone know what the exact requirements are for footwork sequences to get a higher level (ie 3 or 4 vs 2)? I was surfing around the ISU website and cannot find anything about it.
Great question. I don't know either, but I'd love to see what level the judges would give a Kurt Browning top-o-the-line footwork sequence, not to mention the GOE.

One thing's for sure. As soon as somebody does start getting Level 4s for his/her/their footwork, everybody will start doing it--at least as best they can. :frown2:

Rgirl

Rgirl said:
One thing's for sure. As soon as somebody does start getting Level 4s for his/her/their footwork, everybody will start doing it--at least as best they can. :frown2:Rgirl
As I paraphrased Bianchetti's take on how the CoP affects figure skating:

Sur la plage, sur la plage, Everyone looks the same.:)

Joe

backspin

On the Ice
I don't know if this also applies to freestyle, but for freedance there's a whole chart & 25 pages of discussion about what gets you points & what is needed for each level. I got it from the USFS website (? I think?). Off the top of my head (it's in the car in my skate bag at the moment), I remember you needed turns in both directions, difficult turns (ie brackets/rockers/counters/twizzles) on both feet, good speed, good expression, ..... I can't remember the rest. I believe there's a specific number of direction changes you would need. Now I'm curious & will have to sit down & read through it all again!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What levels are Sandu, Buttle, Plushenko or Weir???

Dee

I would imagine, the Tech Asst calls out the level and if you have full faith and trust in the Tech Asst then whatever he deems Level 4 would be ok with you.

Hinz and Part had a wrong level call in their SP. It was corrected after a protest, but it just shows Tech Assts are not perfect.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I would imagine, the Tech Asst calls out the level and if you have full faith and trust in the Tech Asst then whatever he deems Level 4 would be ok with you.

Hinz and Part had a wrong level call in their SP. It was corrected after a protest, but it just shows Tech Assts are not perfect.

Joe
Yeah. I agree with you. I posted in that thread, Michelle has huge disadvantage in that, because she diddn't got chance to compete this season. Some of her elements could be ***innocent*** called wrong at Olympics. Had she competed, she could protest or got exact what need to be done to got the level she desired. Then next comp the caller would make adjustment. An international/world caller dose not repeat the ***innocent*** mistake twice.....but now, all to her is that one chance.....But the girl sounded confident.

MZheng, thanks for the link to JWCardinal's post on the MK Forum. Very complete analysis.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if this helps, but here is what the official ISU rules have to say about how the levels are determined. (Scroll down to page 14.)

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-166267-183485-89562-0-file,00.pdf

1. Variety of (complex for level 4) turns and steps throughout.
2. 3 (4 for level 4) changes of skating or directional rotation.
3. Change (quick changes for level 4) of speed (not because of a stop).
4. Modest (full use of for level 4) upper body movement.
5. Quick changes from steps to turns.

For a level 2 you must meet 2 of these five criteria, 3 for level 3 and 4 for level 4.

Types of steps and turns are classified as:

1. Basic
Turns: 3-turns, Mohawks
Steps: Progressives, chasses

2. Variety
Turns: Must include three different methods of turning, e.g. three turns, twizzles, brackets.
Steps: Must include three different steps, e.g. progressives, toe steps, chasses, etc.

3. Complex
Turns: Must include more than three different turns, e.g. brackets, counters, rockers, twizzles, Choctaws.
Steps: Must include three different steps )e.g. running steps, progressives, toe steps, chasses) used in multiple directions.

Turns and steps must be balanced in their distribution throughout the sequence.

MM

Lanie

On the Ice
MM - thank you so much! That was what I was looking for. I'm tempted to slow-mo some footage of various footwork and check what turns they use, what levels they should be getting. It would be an interesting exercise, at least!

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
I think Carolina does atleast for level 3 or 4, and Plusenko's steps are level 4 for sure.
I also think Lambiel has level 3 for his free program steps

Lanie

On the Ice
I forget but there has been only one skater who's footwork has been called as level 4. It was at NHK. Japanese singles skater - I forget his name.

Caro I don't know about but Plushenko's have been called as level 1, level 2 and level 3:

Cup of Russia:
SP -- Level 3 Circular, Level 1 Straightline
LP -- Level 1 Circular, Level 2 Straightline

Europeans:
SP -- Level 3 Circular, Level 3 Straightline
LP -- Level 3 Circular, Level 3 Straightline

I don't know if he changed the footwork at all, since it seems calling of levels is terribly subjective.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Here are the footwork levels for some of the top skaters as of their last ISU competition:

Plushenko: 3 for both step sequences in the short and long [Europeans]
Lambiel: 3 for both step sequences in the short and long [Europeans]
Joubert: 2 for both step sequences in the short and long [Europeans]
Buttle: 2 for both step sequences in the short and long [GPF]
Weir: 2 and 3 for the step sequences in the short, and same for the long [CoR]

Wow. I'm surprised none of these men are getting level fours. It must be a mean feat.

Ladies:

Slutskaya: 2 in both programs [Europeans]
Sasha: 2 in both programs [TEB], though at her most recent competition (US Nats) they were both called 3
Shizuka: 3 in the short, 2 in the long
Ando: 2 in both programs
Kostner: 3 in both programs

I think the best MK can hope for is a 2.

mzheng

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
I think the best MK can hope for is a 2.
:scratch: I thought hers at test skating was called level 3?
I guess the suggestions that Cyr gave to her might help her push up one level? Some of level 4 critirials were execution related. Like fast, whole body movements, etc.

JanJam

Rinkside
mzheng said:
I guess the suggestions that Cyr gave to her might help her push up one level? Some of level 4 critirials were execution related. Like fast, whole body movements, etc.

Wasn't it mentioned that she did both levels 3 & 4?

What I like about Lambiel's footwork is that he keeps the character of the music throughout as well as in the entire program.

Plush will just go bravado and more bravado in his footwork a la Yagudin without reference to the character of the music. JMO.

Joe

CDMM1991

Medalist
mzheng said:

Ok, but you have to admit that the officials at the test skate might have been giving her the benefit of the doubt on those calls. I'm not sure she will be so lucky with the ISU officials, seeing as it is so subjective.

tarotx

On the Ice
If you read behind the lines about Michelle's test skate the caller talked Michelle into level 3s and 4s more so then she performed those levels in the test skate. Which I have have no problem with. They treated this like an early competition. This proves Michelle has it in her to do these higher levels but she hasn't proven yet she can compete these higher levels. That's why all the uncertainty about Michelle. It's not her talent that have people doubting but her zero competition reps. Most people had faith in Michelle when she went to TT but then she was injured so people aren't sure. Most people aren't counting her out but they are taking a wait and see aproach. Except the ubbers on both sides of the Michelle issue. I hope she can compete the levels. I want her and Sasha to win medals-gold and silver preferredly. I know she would be ready by worlds but she didn't petition into that event :(

*By most I mean from from my experience-from reading boards, chating and talking to non internet people. I don't mean it as a scientific "most".

Last edited:

flowjo35

On the Ice
CDMM1991 said:
Ok, but you have to admit that the officials at the test skate might have been giving her the benefit of the doubt on those calls. I'm not sure she will be so lucky with the ISU officials, seeing as it is so subjective.

I don't think the officials would tell Michelle that her levels are 3/4 if they aren't. That would only hurt her in the long run. The officials at the skate test want the Americans to get as many medals as possible. It was stated in several articles that Cyr gave her pointers on how to make her levels higher (3 to 4?) and informed her on what the judges will be looking for. I guess we will see in a couple of weeks. Good luck Michelle

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
JanJam said:
Wasn't it mentioned that she did both levels 3 & 4?
Could be. She was aiming for level 4. But since some were execution related, and are ambigouse. So when Cyr asked her what level she thought herself, she answered (conservtively) "level 3". Cyr "Right." then went on told her what are international judges looking for.-- I read this episode from the pool report.

Last edited by a moderator: