Kwan Cut Practice Short | Golden Skate

Kwan Cut Practice Short

millie

Medalist
Kwan had to cut practice short. I hope she is will do better in the next practice.

nbcolympics.com.

Good luck Michelle.:)

millie

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Any news of the withdrawl rumor?

On the thread "Michelle", a poster said that there was a news clip that she may withdraw. I don't know if it is true. To be honest, I hope she don't. I would love to see her skate and do her best. Good luck Michelle.:)

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
The CBC stated this morning that she had a disastrous practice and that she did not land any triples or combos. There is a rumor that she may withdraw. Can Emily still skate if she does?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
A summary from the collection of articles that I found on MKF: Her first practice was, apparently, very poor. Some articles said her groin injury was flaring up again; others thought it might be due to jet lag/opening ceremonies. She has not ruled out the possiblity that she will drop out, but there is another practice tomorrow (today, now, I think)

Last edited:

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
attyfan said:
A summary from the collection of articles that I found on MKF: Her first practice was, apparently, very poor. Some articles said her groin injury was flaring up again; others thought it might be due to jet lag/opening ceremonies. She has not ruled out the possiblity that she will drop out, but there is another practice tomorrow (today, now, I think)

Uh oh. It might be better to skip the practice or go easy for a day or so.

Good luck Michelle!

millie

Medalist
Michelle just a had a press conference on CBC news. No withdrawl. Jist of the conference-- Having a injury that do not go away, she was very stiff, strange ice, difficult because her coach wasn't there and noone to consult with. She is ready for the next practice. Good luck to Michelle.:chorus:

waxel

Final Flight
I was very surprised she was already in Turin, and shocked she marched. Doesn't seem very wise. I'm getting a bad feeling she will withdraw.

euterpe

Medalist
Michelle had a very extended plane trip, then a long walk and several hours standing outside in the cold. No wonder she got up feeling stiff and had a rocky practice!

The media is still down on her because she replaced Emily and will be dogging her about withdrawing. It must be very hard for Michelle having every move covered by the media and exaggerated all out of proportion.

millie

Medalist
euterpe said:
Michelle had a very extended plane trip, then a long walk and several hours standing outside in the cold. No wonder she got up feeling stiff and had a rocky practice!

The media is still down on her because she replaced Emily and will be dogging her about withdrawing. It must be very hard for Michelle having every move covered by the media and exaggerated all out of proportion.

With regard to Michelle and the media, Michelle called the press conference herself to explain what happened to her in her practice. I don't think that she was hounded.:)

soogar

Record Breaker
euterpe said:

Well Michelle brought it all on herself. Fans have been saying that now Michelle will have an easier time skating b/c she's not the favorite, I think that her method of making the team will put even more pressure on her. Michelle has been known to have bad practices at events but skates well in the main event. How much pressure is she under that she has to hold a press conference for every bad practice?

R.D.

Record Breaker
wait...it was THAT bad that she had to call a press conference to explain it? ouch. doesn't sound good.

millie

Medalist
If any of you that have seen the press conference, you could see that she was visibably upset when she was talking about her practice. She also said that she has to listen to her body and take it from there. She never practised her short program.

Kati

On the Ice
This must also be agonizing for Emily Hughes I guess... to go or not to go to Torino...

Say it ain't so!

Here's the link to an article entitled: "Kwan won't rule out dropping off US team."
http://www.nbcolympics.com/figureskating/5099486/detail.html

A few outtakes and quotes from the article will give you an idea of the content:
"Michelle Kwan wouldn't rule out a withdrawal from the Olympics after cutting short her first practice Saturday because of stiffness in her groin.

Kwan said the long plane ride and marching in the Opening Ceremony caused enough problems for her to skip a short program run-through one day after arriving in Torino. She avoided answering several questions about whether she's worried about competing in her third Olympics.

But asked directly if she might drop off the U.S. team, the five-time world champion said: 'I really have to pay attention to how I am feeling these days. Dropping out, it's not something I want to do, but I have to listen to what my feelings are.' "
Oh, Michelle! Say it ain't so!

I'm just really rooting for the skate gods to bring good vibes to Michelle's body. I know it's awful, but I can't help but think of Elvis Stojko in Nagano, '98. He tore his already torn and healing groin muscle again during the men's Free Skate, and the agony on his face when he finished his program--it just made you want to cry. It did me, anyway.

However, Elvis's initial groin pull had ocurred much closer to the Olys than Michelle's. Elvis tore his at Canadian Nationals, plus he had to do a quad and two 3Axels to be competitive. He won the silver, but literally could barely limp off the ice.

My heart goes out to Michelle so much! I'm tellin' ya, a groin pull--which is a tear of one or more of the hip adductor muscles, the muscles that snap the legs together for jumps--is one of the toughest injuries, if not the toughest, for a skater to recover from. The thing is, after rest and physical therapy, the skater will feel good, like she can jump full-out again. But groin pulls are soooo nasty in the way they fool you. Really, more than any other muscle group, people with groin pulls are the most likely to reinjure it--in my experience. I have my theories on why that is, but the point is, Michelle is really skating on a tightrope with this injury, trying to train, and compete full out.

It's just heartbreaking. :cry: I wish her ALL the best of luck, healing, and anything else that will help. Man, this girl just cannot get a break when it comes to the Olympics. At least she's not alone. Kurt Browning and Todd Eldredge never even won any kind of Olympic medal. Not to mention Randy Gardner, who pulled his groin in the warm-up before he and Tai Babilonia were about to skate in their Olympics. And I'm sure there are other awful hard-luck stories about injuries at the worst time at the Olympics and great skaters with either no Olympic gold or no Olympic medal at all, eg, Janet Lynn comes to mind and I'll let others fill in the rest.

I know. Michelle is in a class by herself and for her not to have an OGM seems so wrong--though it ain't over yet. Only the fat man has sung so far-- ;) --with love to Pavarotti. :love: And to Michelle. :love: :love: :love:

Rgirl

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Kati said:
This must also be agonizing for Emily Hughes I guess... to go or not to go to Torino...

If you think that it's agonizing for Emily, just imagine how agonizing it is for Michelle. To be in Turin and your first practice to turn out the way it did with the eyes of the world on you to perform at top notch. I wonder if the decision to go to the Olympics was hers or if she was compeled to go by higher ups.

flying camel

Medalist
She should have skipped the opening cermonies. It was not like she had never been in them before. Why isn't her coach with her?

Kati

On the Ice
millie said:
If you think that it's agonizing for Emily, just imagine how agonizing it is for Michelle. To be in Turin and your first practice to turn out the way it did with the eyes of the world on you to perform at top notch. I wonder if the decision to go to the Olympics was hers or if she was compeled to go by higher ups.

Oh yes, I know and I feel sympathy for her...

rjulie510

Rinkside
I wouldn't get too worried about her first practice. She was in opening ceremonies and press conference, combined with jet lag, she probably wasn't feeling good. I hope she feels better. GO MICHELLE GO!!!