Will Irina REALLY make it 4 for 4? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Irina REALLY make it 4 for 4?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
flying camel said:
You guys, I know a skater can't claim a move to be theres and I know Sasha has used some of Michelle's moves but it seems like every move Sasha does Shizuka has used. She is a Sasha clone. Aren't you suppose to be a little original.

Shiz has a true lutz and great edges along with that devine Ina B. What has she copied from Sasha?

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I don't think Shiz is copying Sasha, if there are similarities its most likely due to Tarasova. Shizuka's ina bauer is certainly original and her jumps are beautiful - the only question is can she handle the pressure. If she and Sasha can handle the pressure and skate clean I think they can beat Irina, Irina will likely win b/c she is probably the most consistent and has the most experience of the group.

Dibs

Rinkside
I think Irina will win due to her inflated PC scores. How Irina manages to consistently receive higher PC scores I don't know when Shizuka and Sasha seem to have more elegance and an almost equal technical repertoire. Irina does have the speed, though.

I am a fan of all three skaters, and out of all of them Irina's skating has grown on me the most. I just look back and think of some of her programs when she was still in her teens and realize just how far she has come. But as for my two cents, I hope Shizuka and Sasha hit the ball out of the park. Especially Sasha because we all know how intensely she has been training the Olympics and I would love to see her finally have two slam dunk programs back to back and the media will eat her alive if she doesn't.

RubyNV

Rinkside
Irina will win gold

Of course Irina will win the gold medal. She has it all, and she has what the Code of points supposedly rewards--really big jumps, not little hop-jumps, and fast and marvelous spins. Her triple-triple combinations are usually pretty solid.
I do enjoy Fumie's lovely artistry, but she hasn't been near the top for some time.
I wish her well, though.
Sasha has beautiful artistry, but she has too many jump problems.
I predict gold for Irina, silver for Sasha, but I have no idea who will get bronze.
I hope that Emily Hughes will place well. She is very talented.

mzheng

Record Breaker
As long as Sasha and/or Shizuka deliver in LP, at this point (with Russian has 3 out of 3) I don't think Judges will hand over to Irina. Unless Russian provides 50% of ISU fundding, which is not.

Irina is never being a refined skater as judges tried to potray her so far. Shizuka and Sasha skated more lady like than Irina. And among these three, Shizuka has the best edge quality, imo. Sasha has the weakest jump ability. But judge love her style. And 1) There is no Japanese judge on panel. But with US judge on panel 2) US TV contract provide ISU 50% funding. So if both deliver the gold will go Sasha.

Check out protocol of SP, I guess judge #3 from US, #5 from Russian. #6 just give top ladies....someone in FSU analysed that Judge #4, 5 and 9 scores are not counted.

Last edited by a moderator:

K-Mo

On the Ice
I think Irina will win becuase she's the most consistent. I would love to see a Japanese lady on top of the podium, though!

cell

On the Ice
I really think Sasha will win this, although *sniff* I'd prefer Shizuka to.

Vash01

Medalist
I think the judges will just hand this to Sasha, regardless of how anyone skates (among the top 3) to stop the Russian sweep. They will definitely not give this gold to Irina.I doubt that Shizuka will be given higher marks than Sasha, unless Sasha falls a couple of times and Shizuka lands all the triples.

Vash

Sasha_4_The_Win

Rinkside
I think the judges will 'hand' the gold medal to the person who earns it. That is my hope, anyway. And until we see those LPs its impossible to predict whose night it will be.
As far as I'm concerned Irina's skating is missing some serious artistry, and I think she got mixed up on which event she was in. This is not men's skating! Its fine if the men want to power through it but I find that a very unattractive approach in the ladies event, especially when others have such beautiful artistry.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Looks like i'm having to eat my words then!!!

I'm really pleased about that too because it looks like the judging is fair. Can anyone who has seen Irina perform earlier in the season comment on whether her SP last night was performed less well than it has been all season or was she just finally given PCS more along the lines of what she deserved?

I'm really excited now that there is a real competition in the LP.

Ant

It looked to me that she may have been ill or tired from no sleep, but she skated well and deserved her 2nd placement. I didn't see much difference from previous skates except that she had been more upbeat before starting.

Joe

Frau Muller

Final Flight
It's only one one-hundreth of a point lead for Sasha. I hardly call that a 'slam-dunk.'

Irina skates last - to a peppy (upbeat) routine, as opposed to Sasha's slower, more delicate skate, earlier in the group. If all ladies skate up to their potential, I believe that Irina has the edge.

IRINA FOR GOLD!!!! FOUR FOR FOUR, RUSSIA!!!!

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
It looked to me that she may have been ill or tired from no sleep, but she skated well and deserved her 2nd placement. I didn't see much difference from previous skates except that she had been more upbeat before starting.

Joe

Actually now you say that in the interview afterwards with Gwendal Peizerat she very serious and stoney faced, none of her usual spark of bubbly personality and she dos usually joke with him. This was before cohen Skated so she was leading but was not really givign anything away, brough tthe interview to an end quickly and went.

Ant

Sasha_4_The_Win

Rinkside
Did she watch Sasha skate or leave beforehand? I wonder what her reaction would have been to the 9000 people on their feet (and the scores. :D).

To me Irina has one of those attitudes that no one should beat her regardless of how she skates or how others skate. Maybe its just me?

cell

On the Ice
I think Irina will have another SLC-like meltdown. Hopefully not, but I can see it.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
cell said:
I think Irina will have another SLC-like meltdown. Hopefully not, but I can see it.

I don't think Irina will have a meltdown but I can see her running out of steam and making some mistakes.

emma

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Looks like i'm having to eat my words then!!!

I'm really pleased about that too because it looks like the judging is fair. Can anyone who has seen Irina perform earlier in the season comment on whether her SP last night was performed less well than it has been all season or was she just finally given PCS more along the lines of what she deserved?

I'm really excited now that there is a real competition in the LP.

Ant

She had a couple minor bobbles last night and just looked a little off...definitely a top three performance though last night. I forget which grand prix event it was, but there was one where her short program just seemed amazing, like no one could touch it solid (and this despite it being front loaded and with little choreography compared to the field). So, I can't remember which event, but one of those where she got huge marks was, imo, a much stronger skate than last night. At the same time, it may ALSO be that marks were more in line this time, but I haven't looked at the score sheets yet so am not sure about that.