Brennan has no skating knowledge and should be ignored! | Golden Skate

Brennan has no skating knowledge and should be ignored!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Read Christine Brennan's latest article in USA Today. She says Cohen should get PCS miles better than Slutskaya since she is a miles more beautful skater. This women knows nothing about skating. The second mark has never been just about beautiful skating, that is why it was changed from artistic impression to presentation then to what it is called now. It was to clear that misconception. This women knows nothing about skating, and it is a disgrace she is allowed to cover it and have her opinions count for as much as they do. I wonder if she can even recognize a triple lutz from a triple loop.

millie

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Read Christine Brennan's latest article in USA Today. She says Cohen should get PCS miles better than Slutskaya since she is a miles more beautful skater. This women knows nothing about skating. The second mark has never been just about beautiful skating, that is why it was changed from artistic impression to presentation then to what it is called now. It was to clear that misconception. This women knows nothing about skating, and it is a disgrace she is allowed to cover it and have her opinions count for as much as they do. I wonder if she can even recognize a triple lutz from a triple loop.

Can you please let me know where I can get some of those Nasty pills that you take? Do you get them over the internet or can you get them locally?:)

mzheng

Record Breaker
Then why you start this thread? :rofl:

Now my curiosity is arised. I'm going to find the article and read it. :chorus:

Jill

On the Ice
Christine calls them as she sees them. And the way she see this one is that Sasha is more of an elegant skater than Irina, which is what most other people say, too. And don't count out the "kid factor" that Kimmie has. Most people also agree that if Kimmie pulls out all the stops, she could be a spoiler, much like Sarah and Tara did. No big secret there.

Actually, Christine Brennan is one of the few sportswriters who does know a lot about figure skating. Plus, she's a sweet person, if you get to meet her.

MM :)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Actually, Christine Brennan is one of the few sportswriters who does know a lot about figure skating. Plus, she's a sweet person, if you get to meet her.
Actually, MM, the best quote about Christine Brennan IMO belongs to you. That was during the last Summer Olympics when Brennan was saying that Hamm should give his gold to the Korean gymnast. I believe you said (I could be paraphrasing), "I have a great idea. Why don't Christine Brenan get out there, win a gold medal, and then she can give it to the American gymnast".

JillLaQ said:
Christine calls them as she sees them. And the way she see this one is that Sasha is more of an elegant skater than Irina, which is what most other people say, too.
SlutskayaFan is actualy NOT disputing this. She is just saying that components marks is not given for elegance.

JillLaQ said:
And don't count out the "kid factor" that Kimmie has. Most people also agree that if Kimmie pulls out all the stops, she could be a spoiler, much like Sarah and Tara did. No big secret there.
Possible? yes. However, things are drastically different then they were in SLC or Nagano. Both Tara and Sarah were World medalists going into the Olympics; Kimmie's best international senior showing is 5th at both her GP events.

Last edited:

rob43

On the Ice
Well if you were grading the quality of positions and smoothly rtransitioning between elements, Sasha is better. But those things are measured under different components. I think Irina is a love or hate skater because she has definite strengths and weaknesses that are present at all times.

But Brennan is vastly more knowledgeable than almost any other US sports writer in terms of FS- Sally Jenkins, much?

And not nearly as moody as Hersh- or that NBC bozo Celzic (what a whining tool!)

Kasey

Medalist
Brennan, like all others viewing the competition, has her own opinions. The fact that they come out in black and white don't make them any more credible than mine.

But methinks it isn't Brennan who needs to be ignored right now.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Hm. All I see is Brennan pointing out what's been obvious all season--Irina's PCS has been grossly inflated all season. No, it's not just about being pretty/elegant, but it IS about doing more than muscling through a program, throwing in as many catchfoots as possible whether they actually look all that nice.

new_europe2006

Rinkside
julietvalcouer said:
Hm. All I see is Brennan pointing out what's been obvious all season--Irina's PCS has been grossly inflated all season. No, it's not just about being pretty/elegant, but it IS about doing more than muscling through a program, throwing in as many catchfoots as possible whether they actually look all that nice.

Not to mention bare choreography.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
For your information the second mark, was always about beautiful skating - used to be called the artistic mark. Cohen is way above Irina in this aspect of skating. Even someone who has never skated can see the difference.

slutskayafan21 said:
Brennan was correct!

kyla2

Final Flight
Muzzle

I think it's time to muzzle someone and it isn't Brennan I am thinking about moderators.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I think many of us have a fairly good idea what good presentation means. You are correct in that it doesn't mean "pretty" skating, although it doesn't mean sloppy skating either.

It might be of some benefit to explain what presentation does involve. It involves, in part, presenting each move to it's optimum advantage. That mean hitting positions with attention to line and posture. (Stretch is a good thing!) It means flowing from one move to the next with ease and grace, so that their is a oneness of movement through the program. It also involves matching movement to music so that the best of both are displayed.

Having said that, it seems pretty obvious, to me, that Irina has some shortcomings, though her strengths in other areas are impressive. I certainly can't fault anyone like Brennan for saying the obvious.

Panther2000

On the Ice
Brennan is correct in her statements about the presentation side of skating. & It was sasha's presentation that gave her that medal. 2 years ago with those 2 major errors she would have ended up in 5th place. But, because of her getting her nerves under wraps & having the rest of her program clean. She was able to hold on. & it was that 2nd mark that gave her the silver medal.

Irnia on the other hand, has been so over marked for the past 2 years it is not funny. Talk about block judging. They were crowning her in advance of these olympics. & There was so much talk at the Euro's or the Russian Nationals about her skating & how her skate there was awful & still managed to get those high scores.

Alot of Basher complained about Michelle & her 6.0's. Well at least she skated clean Artistic programs to get those 6.0's. Yeah, that last National in 2005 her LP she fell & those 6.0's for Blero were totally uncalled for.

I am happy that Irnia got a medal. But, even more happy that Europe did not reward with a Gold Medal for that program. Jump Jump Jump, BS, Little footwork. Jump jump BS, Footwork, BS, Spiral( um OK if you wan't to call it that) BS, Blah Blah Blah.

I give Brennan Credit. She does know the sport. Though, we at times may not agree with her. Unlike so many others. She does not just show up at olympics & critize the skaters.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Alot of Basher complained about Michelle & her 6.0's. Well at least she skated clean Artistic programs to get those 6.0's. Yeah, that last National in 2005 her LP she fell & those 6.0's for Blero were totally uncalled for.

Actually, she doubled her last triple lutz; she never fell in that Bolero performance at US Nats. She doubled the lutz almost right in front of where I was sitting so I remember it well. It wasn't MK's strongest skate of that competition (her SP was much better than her LP that year) but it was beautiful and I had no problem with her getting a few sixes back then. :)

And even though I don't always agree with her, I do think Christine Brennan knows and cares about this sport. She doesn't always say things in a way that's not controversial but she does bluntly state her opinion on things and I can't fault her for having an opinion. We all have one! :)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Ptichka said:
SlutskayaFan is actualy NOT disputing this. She is just saying that components marks is not given for elegance.

That is exactly what I am saying. Firstly she says Sasha only scored 1 point higher in PCS than Irina in the short and that was absurb, but in fact she was about 1.5 which was .3 per component on average ahead which is alot when comparing top skaters, which she would know if she wasnt such a clueless airhead who tries to be a wannabee expert in various sports, figure skating included. Secondly as you were saying the second mark is not strictly pretty skating as she insinuates, Sasha is actually far overscored in several areas of the mark as it is, especialy skating skills. Her skating skills are nowhere near Shizuka and Irina or Fumie, yet the judges give her very inflated scores in this category. She keeps calling the second mark the artistic mark, when in fact the name was changed 3 times as to further verify that it is not strictly an artistic mark, but being the clueless airhead she is she wouldnt know this, just as she wouldnt know the difference between a camel spin and a sit spin, or a spread eagle and an ina bauer, without a skating expert sitting beside her to help her out.