Sasha Named USOC Athlete | Golden Skate

Sasha Named USOC Athlete

kyla2

Final Flight
Sasha has been named USOC athlete of the games. Very impressive and very deserving. I am happy for her and proud of the way in which she has handled herself.

millie

Medalist
Here is a quote from NY TIMES

QUOTE:
Some, like Cohen, get it. True she won silver by attrition as a part of the ininspiring legacy of the ladies free skate, but she would not blame injury and would not indulge in self-pity. No public tantrums or tears. Amid the disappointment of Thursday night, Cohen stayed true to high level of grace and refreshing perspective. And two days later, Cohen suffered no letdown in refinement in describing what being an Olympian was all about. "It's our responsibility to be good role models and care about the way we make our country proud", she said "It's our responsibility to have other people respect our actions".

Congradulations Sasha for being selected as Model Olympian by USOC

Kathy

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Who are the other four?

Well the article said that five athletes were awarded, but I could only find four they named in the article. Sasha, Joey Cheek, Toby Dawson and Julia Mancuso. Whoever the fifth one is wasn't a gold medalist only Julia was. The article presented this awad as the USOC's attempt to reward appropriate behavior and "shine" up the athletes who didn't act like Bode Miller, Shani, and several others mentioned - one I didn't even know who got kicked out of the games for fighting in Turin.

Last edited:

rob43

On the Ice
Cheek was also a gold medalist. I think they'll pick him because he also returned his prize money to charity and kept his head above the speedskating back-biting which broke out around him.

Kathy

On the Ice
They picked all five to "showcase" and award. And your right Joey Cheek did get a gold medal too, the article was wrong about only 1 gold medalist in the group. And he did also donate his money to charity.

Good for snotty, aggressive, self-absorbed, look-at-me, tries-to-run-down-other-skaters, ugly-haired, lousy-loser Sasha, lol!

JUST KIDDING!

I liked Sasha when she was young and not necessarily PC. I like her now when she's more mature, but sadly for having gone through adversity such as her parent's divorce. I was up and down about her in between. Let's just say I still hope she's aggressive and that she hasn't gained too much maturity. Listen to Mr. Nicks, Sasha, and have more fun.

Or maybe having more fun was just what she did after the first 45 seconds of her LP? If so, great!

Sasha Cohen, USOC Athlete. Who'da thunk it?

And good for Julia Mancuso, who won the first OGM in the women's downhill slalom after Picabo Street ripped the whole team a new one, especially Mancuso, on worldwide TV, with a special dig at Mancuso for skiing around with a cheesy tiara just for fun. "Lose the tiara!" Picabo said re Mancuso. Mancuso answered Street by wearing the tiara during the medal ceremoney when she won her gold.

Lose your name, Peekaboo.

Rgirl

P.S. Ya think Italy is going to give the USOC equivalent to Barbara Fusar-Poli?:laugh: Heck, I would. That stare at Gags was sportsmanship incarnate!

Rgirl said:
Lose your name, Peekaboo.
Factoid: Did you know that Picabo Street didn't even have a name until she got old enough to go to school? Her parents, living in some kind of hippy commune, just called her "baby girl" until the authorities made them give her a name for school records. So they called her Picabo, after the nearby town of Picabo, Idaho.

As for your first sentence, Rgirl, Sasha's hair is not all that bad.

MM :)

and.... Sasha stayed and was part of the Closing Ceremonies. She did not leave Torino after the exhibitions. Good girl!!

Joe

Sasha should get a Ford Trucks commercial. "She's built Ford tough. If you knock her down she jumps right back up and kicks butt!"

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman said:
Sasha should get a Ford Trucks commercial. "She's built Ford tough. If you knock her down she jumps right back up and kicks butt!"

No, I think that ad should go to Michelle (with shots of -- her falling in her FS at Nats in '97; on top at Worlds in '98; down in '99; up in '00 etc.) Sasha should do the ad for the sportscars -- shot of her spinning -- "our cars go faster than this!)

millie

Medalist
Joesitz said:
and.... Sasha stayed and was part of the Closing Ceremonies. She did not leave Torino after the exhibitions. Good girl!!

Joe

Joe, that's right. At the closing ceremonies she was full of life and showed that she was a true sportsman. By the way, she deserved the USOC award for model athlete. Way to go Sasha.! Let the bias media keep showing her falls from her long program, she showed them what she is made of.:chorus:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Well deserved. Her attitude and composure were second to none. She has matured into a great skater and role model. I hope this medal finds its way out of one of her shoe boxes though :)