What kind of skating fan do you live with? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What kind of skating fan do you live with?

G

Grgranny

Re: what kind of fan...

My late husband really spoiled me. He thought it was really cute that I liked to watch it so much. He also took me to a lot of skating shows. We went to almost every Stars on Ice in Phoenix for quite a few years. Went clear up to Oakland, CA for the World's. Went clear from Caribou Maine down to Portland to see Scott Hamilton in the show he was in. Took me to shows in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas City -- you name it. He got to where he had his favorites too.
Do any of you get teased a lot. I get teased all the time by friends about it.

A

Aloft02

[Grgranny, I'm so glad you didn't get blown away with those twisters in the midwest!! I was worried for you.]

Back to topic - some good friends of ours (who roll their eyes when I have to reschedule social events so they don't conflict with figure skating on TV) gave me a trophy of a skater (mid-scratch spin) with my name on the plaque that proclaims me "#1 Ice Skating Fan".

I once convinced them to have a St. Patrick's Day party that wouldn't conflict with World's and ever since all invitations begin with "If there isn't any ice skating on....".

D

Dee4707

Well, first of all I live alone and wouldn't have a problem watching my skating even if I didn't live alone. Second, I am very fortunate that my whole family likes skating. Yeah for my family.

Dee

H

heyang

I once 'threw' a friend of mine out of the house because of skating. Instead of going out for dinner that night, my then-future-SIL and I told my brother and our friend Dan to go pick up Thai food. So, we got to watch the 96 World Dance in peace. When the guys got back, the 7th-12th women were performing their LP's and were splatting all over the place. Dan kept on making so many jokes and laughing and he's always loud. Made my brother laugh, too. So I told him that he had to leave before the final 6 started. He took it well and left so I could watch in peace and enthrallment. I am so glad I was able to watch Michelle and Lulu turn in 2 captivating performances without distraction.

S

starshinexavier

I am a lone skating fan in a house of hockey/baseball fans. I have to fight off my brothers and dad for the TV when skating's on. I usually win though, since hockey's on EVERY DAY and skating's not. Thankfully my gramma's a huge skating fan and tapes competitions and gala's that I'm not able to see. It'll be nice when I move out, so I'll be able to watch skating without hearing "he's SO gay" and "FALL!!! FALL!!!" all the time, that is of course if another network starts airing skating in Canada.

P

Pookie

Thanks for sharing, everyone. It's good to know I'm not the only "persecuted" :p skating fan around. :lol:

Those of you that have other fans in the house with you or very supportive family members, you are so lucky. :D

G

goveggie

"Mr. goveggie" actuallys CHEERS when the skaters fall, just to annoy me! :mad: But, then he'll tell me when skating is on, if he ever runs across it and I hadn't noticed. :) We have a deal: he always gets to watch his (gross) wrestling on cable, and I always get to watch my skating when its on cable (we have 2 TVs but only 1 has cable). The problem we have though is that wrestling and skating are often opposite each other on Monday nights, in which case I usually give in to him (because he lets me watch the Yankees on cable too and they're on a lot more than skating). Hope I can get the Yankees down there in Tampa!

goveggie