What kind of skating fan do you live with? | Golden Skate

What kind of skating fan do you live with?

P

Pookie

What kind of skating fan do you live with?

I'm just curious. My husband hates skating so I pick and choose events that are most important. I don't watch much of the Grand Prix or Euros or 4 Continents so I don't see most of the lesser known skaters you all discuss. I try to be fair and not drive him crazy with it. Although he would let me watch just about all that I wanted, it's kind of hard when it runs him out of the room and he really has no where else to go. :lol:

I know several that have said they watch and go to events with their spouses. That's great. I'm jealous. :)

I didn't know whether to put this in off topic or not.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">Edited for spelling errors.</span>

R

RealtorGal

Re: What kind of skating fan do you live with?

<span style="color:navy;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">I've mentioned before that Mr. RealtorGal is a HUGE figure skating fan. If a skating show is on, he asks for popcorn so he can enjoy the competition. His favorite skaters are Sasha and Shizuka. He is extremely opinionated on the subject and thinks Michelle should retire. "What does she have left to prove?" wonders he. "Another medal, another title... big deal." A few months before the Olympics, he told me he thought Sarah would win gold, and I told him he was crazy.

He is not from this country, so baseball, hockey and football have no interest for him whatsoever. He loves playing & watching soccer with RealtorGal Jr. and will stay up until all hours of the night to watch World Cup.

RealtorGal Jr. enjoys watching, too, but she could really take it or leave it.</span>

M

megsk8z

I live with a great guy that thinks all of skating is fixed and that actually, it's not a sport at all. But this is the same guy that gets up every Sunday morning during the skating season, after working 6 days a week, to ice monitor and play tapes for our club's ice time. He supports my skating (even though I'm old and probably never going to get that double flip), and if the only thing I have to deal with, negativity-wise, is some snide comments about the fairness of judging when skating is televised, well, that's pretty good.
Besides, I have a few snide comments about the sports he likes and his incessant devotion to fantasy leagues, so I figure our 20+ year partnership is good for both of us.

S

Show 42

My hubby is an avid golfer and baseball, football, basketball fan. He could care less about figure skating and rolls his eyeballs when I take about competitions, skaters, performances, etc. He does recognize the different skater's names though, (I wonder why ;) ) and recently shocked me when at a family gathering, he knew the correct answer to a skating term while playing a trivia game. (He knew that a salchow was "some kind of skating jump"........:D I guess I've done my job after all.....42

A

Aloft02

I have the wonderfully indulgent kind. He surprised me on my birthday with tickets to World's when it was in Vancouver and actually went to everything with me - including the practices.

Whatta guy. Over the years he's confessed to actually enjoying it. He watches most of the televised competitions, but I'd hate to think what would happen if a good soccer game was on at the same time!!!

L

lottafs

Me myself and I.

P

Pookie

Show, my husband is an eyeroller too. In his more magnanimous moods, he will do color commentary for me. That can be really interesting. :lol: Of course he only lasts about 15 minutes and then he's looking for somewhere else to go.

Don't tell Mathman but he doesn't like Michelle at all. Thinks she is all hype. ;)

H

heyang

My ex-boyfriend was willing to listen to me talk skating for a while before his eyes glazed over. Actually, he's always participated in sports and could appreciate some of the finer technical aspects, but didn't like the subjectivity. Knowing how important MK's Oly performance was, he stopped by to watch with me and felt bad for me (as did all my friends). Surprisingly, he called B&S as the winners in pairs - he didn't like the playfulness of S&P and felt that it was too simple.

My Mom's a fan, but I don't like watching with her because she's only watching the presentation and doesn't know an axel from a toe jump. She talks while the skaters are performing - 'Is she Chinese?', 'I don't like her dress.', etc. So, I refuse to watch competitions with her because it's too distracting and I miss everything while shushing her.

S

sk8cynic

Mr. Cynic tolerates my love of skating very lovingly, albeit a little naively. He got me tix to Skate America this past fall, thinking that 4 days of skating would burn me out on it. HA!!!!!! He realizes that now he has created a monster fan.

He enjoys watching the men more than the women, but I love his philosophy about figure skating in general. He says FS is Motorcross for women - it's all pretty much the same until there's a spectacular crash.

R

rgirl181

Heyang,
My mother is the same as yours. For about three years after Sergei Grinkov died, every time we'd watch skating, just out of the blue when some guy came on she would say, "Is that the guy who died?" She's also big into hating the costumes:lol: But it was kind of hoot to watch with her if it wasn't an important competition.

My sister's husband would get jealous when my sister and I watched skating together. He'd flip the lights on and off, run the vacuum in the next room, anything to distract and annoy us. He was another nonskating fan guy who didn't like Michelle. There must be a type.

My neighbor where I last lived would watch Nats and Worlds with me. He was fun. Not a true skating fan, but knew who was who. Very funny comments on hair and costumes.

Of everyone I've watched skating with, my cat is the best. She never interrupts and always agrees with me:D
Rgirl

D

dlksk8fan

I live with a non skating fan. My husband has little interest in skating. He is however very generous when skating is on TV. He knows that when I am watching skating not to disturb me and even when he sees it on TV will let me know it is on if I don't already know. He has bought me tickets to US Nationals, COI, and SOI.

B

Blue Bead

My husband says when it comes to watching ice skating that he can take it or leave it. He often watches with me but falls asleep somewhere is the middle of it. :lol: I have noticed however in the last six months that he now knows what an axel looks like, what a spiral is and has an opinion on who he thinks does it best, what flutz means, and not only knows the names of all the top eligible skaters but what they look like, and knows who some of the coaches are as well. I took him to both SOI and COI this year, and he loved it. I think I have a closet skating fan in the making here! :rollin:

Blue Bead

S

Show 42

.........As a side note, I do have to say this about the three guys I live with (hubby and two sons).......they always make a point to come and tell me if they see skating on while channel surfing. I think that's cool and that bit of consideration more than makes up for the eye-rolling they do when I talk (endlessly sometimes) about my favorite sport...42

R

rgirl181

Awww, Show. That's so sweet of your guys.

Blue Bead--I've seen the phenomenon you described with one of my old boyfriends. This was in the '80s and once he could tell the difference between a double and a triple jump, especially the Axel, he'd be like, "He did a triple Axel! Oh, boy! He's going to win!" A little technical knowledge and some of them are hooked.
Rgirl

P

Pookie

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>For about three years after Sergei Grinkov died, every time we'd watch skating, just out of the blue when some guy came on she would say, "Is that the guy who died?" [/quote]

Rgirl, that sounds <em>so much</em> like something my mother would say. :lol: :rollin: :lol: :rollin: :lol:

I don't mind the silly comments or chatter at all while I'm watching because I'm taping it to rewatch. I'm usually saying "I'm sorry this is on so long." "I'm sorry for all the commercials" "I'm sorry we don't have cable." :lol: It's really my problem because I always feel so guilty and he doesn't say anything but "go ahead and watch it."

H

heyang

My ex-boyfriend used to call me too when he channel surfed past the skating - just to see if he was able to predict what I was watching. Occassionally, it turned out that I didn't even know it was on and then I got to watch. He would ALWAYS call if he saw someone falling with a big splat on ice.

Mom's not as bad now. She knows I want to concentrate and waits for the commercials. I just can't watch with her because she turns the volume all the way up on the TV and still doesn't listen to the announcements. When we go to show together, she doesn't chatter throughout.

S

sk8tngcanuck

what kind of fan...

Mr Canuck has come a very long time in regards to skating. For the first 5 years of our relationship, if I was watching skating, he would disappear to his dad's, a friends, his brothers, ANYWHERE but home with me! After about 5 years, I think he figured out that my compulsion was not going away, and since I suffered through golf on TV, he would watch bits and pieces with me. He would sit and watch a couple skaters, then toodle off and do something completely unconstructive, and would occasionally holler asking if "that Russian" or "that Elvis guy" are skating. It got to a point that he would actually watch the final flight of a men's event or a pairs event with me. It has now evolved to such a point that he watches skating even when I am not home. He will see a skating program on TV if I am at work and he will call to see if I want it taped and then will call me throughout the program to give me updates!

He would never admit to any of his beer guzzling, hockey stick swinging, obnoxious buddies that he will spend an afternoon watching figure skating, but he has finally gained an appreciation for it...... oh except Ice Dance. He still refuses to watch Dance.

I consider myself very fortunate!

Canuck

S

Sally1214

Re: what kind of fan...

It was my husband who got me interested in figure skating in the first place. The Cdn. Nationals came to our home city and he purchased All-Event tickets for us without even telling me. When, I asked, "WHY do we have these tickets? We don't watch skating." He said, "These are the best skaters in Canada and we SHOULD go see them." Little did he know that this would be the birth of a lifelong fs obsession for me. I was *hooked* from the first novice pair on.

Over the years, my *love* of the sport has vastly overtaken his *like* of the sport; but he still watches most competitions with me on TV. And, he always goes to compeitions and live shows with me. We don't always agree on who should win - and we often have different favorites - but that's OK ... it just makes it more interesting.

Now, don't get me wrong ..... NO fs event on TV will pull him away from his beloved Toronto Maple Leafs on another channel at the same time ... but, hey, a guy has to have his priorities afterall .... !!

Sally

S

schmooze1

Luckily for me I have complete control of my tv and VCR so if skating is on then skating is what I watch.

although I am moving into a house with three male friends and I have to wonder what their reaction will be to hours and hours of eurosport coverage :p

P

Ptichka

Both of my parents loved FS. My father never thought it was non-masculine to watch it.

My ex-boyfriend could not stand it when I would watch FS. I remember when they had 2002 Worlds Men free skate on Valentine Day. We sat in a restaurant that had a TV, and it would take me all the will power to stay focused on something other than the TV... eventually we had to swith seats so I would be facing the other way -- in return he agreed to have desert at home so I could watch the top skaters at home.

My boyfriend now does not care one way or the other.