Ladies LP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

Kasey

Medalist
Martinova was supposedly sick, and had been for quite some time. Not sure what excuses others may have had for doing poorly, but I think a long illness would sap the strength out of most.

I thought Doronina had been with Mishin for some years. I can't believe that he hasn't fixed her jump technique by now (which means, I don't think it can be fixed at this point)

Kati

On the Ice
Where are the French ladies (once there were Surya, Gusmeroli, Hubert..), the German (Witt, Poetzsch...), the Russians, Ukrainians, Hungarians, Finnish???
Europe now has just Sarah Meier, Caro Kostner and Elene. I think it will be a bad bad result for Europe at Worlds this year.[/QUOTE]

Yes, there is more talent in Asia right now... But don't forget Julia Sebestyen's GP competitions, and don't count Susanna Pöykiö, Alisa Drei and Kiira Korpi out yet...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After the fall of the Berlin wall and reunification, the Germans haven't had a top lady skater since Tanja Szewczenko. After Bonaly retired, the French federation had Laetitia Hubert and Vanessa Gusmeroli, but by 2002 those ladies had faded away, and since then there hasn't been a French lady of any consequence.

Right now, Sarah Meier is the top scoring European lady, having placed top 6 at Worlds 2006, and having won a GPF medal. Carolina Kostner will be returning from injury and she usually skates well at Euros. Elene Gedevanishvili is a question mark this year, since her training was abruptly interrupted when she was forced to leave Russia and her coach. Julia Sebestyen is making a comeback effort, but she is not nearly as consistent a skater today as she was when she won Europeans back in 2004. The Finnish ladies Poykio and Korpi have been inconsistent of late as well.

I don't know how old Doronina is, but for me, she is a work in progress. Her opening lutz in both the SP and LP looked textbook to me. She has problems in the LP after midway through the program. Her hands and arms are quite good. Her spins are standard. Her facial expression to me is a la Totamianina and Kavka - rather stonefaced.

She's no threat to Meire or Kostner at this point.

Joe

Last edited:

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I don't know how old Doronina is, but for me, she is a work in progress. Her opening lutz in both the SP and LP looked textbook to me. She has problems in the LP after midway through the program. Her hands and arms are quite good. Her spins are standard. Her facial expression to me is a la Totamianina and Kostamarov - rather stonefaced.

She's no threat to Meire or Kostner at this point.

Joe

What do u mean 'her spins are standard'? They are horribly done. I've never seen spins as slow as hers. It's embarrassing. She is going nowhere.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When they replayed her lutz in the SP, I checked it out in slow motion and there was definitely a switch from the outside to the inside edge just before the takeoff.

The opening lutz in the FS was underrotated according to the protocol. She also underrotated her second lutz attempt.

I agree with Iloveaxel. Doronina is incredibly slow, not just the spins but also the spiral sequence, where she was bouncing around on the flat of the blade. Her PCS scores for the FS were in the low 4s, and that was because of the lack of speed and any kind of musical sense.

Doronina got low 6s in the Russian FS, but that was the Nationals inflation factor at work. She's never going to get PCS scores like that at Euros.

Last edited:
When they replayed her lutz in the SP, I checked it out in slow motion and there was definitely a switch from the outside to the inside edge just before the takeoff.

The opening lutz in the FS was underrotated according to the protocol. She also underrotated her second lutz attempt.

I agree with Iloveaxel. Doronina is incredibly slow, not just the spins but also the spiral sequence, where she was bouncing around on the flat of the blade. Her PCS scores for the FS were in the low 4s, and that was because of the lack of speed and any kind of musical sense.

Doronina got low 6s in the Russian FS, but that was the Nationals inflation factor at work. She's never going to get PCS scores like that at Euros.
And she won!!! What does that say about Sokolova , Yevleva and Martinova?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It doesn't say much about any of them, particularly Sokolova. Elena is capable of much more than what she is doing, but it's clear she hasn't taken the time to keep up her skills, maybe because she thought she'd have an easy road to the Russian championship.

Maybe this kick in the pants will finally wake her up to reality. But it could be too late. Russia has only two places for Ladies at Worlds. Elena is going to HAVE to outskate both of her countrywomen at Euros to get a spot at Worlds, and the Ladies SP at Euros is less than 3 weeks away.

"I've never seen spins as slow as hers."

"She incredibly slow."

"It's embarrassing (to the Internet pundits)."

I guess she's just a disgrace to the sport. Why doesn't she go hang herself now, like any decent person would?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RUSSIAN NATIONALS VIDEOS - SPs in order of finish in the SP:

Alexandra Ievleva:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcdmkshWQlI

Elena Sokolova:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRUnrzLndiE

Arina Martynova:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FQ93cQYu-I

Ksenia Doronina:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ech_dssUR6A

Viktoria Volchkova:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8iVWE8R7Hs

Ievleva has the easiest jumps but the best overall presentation and her nonjump elements are very good.

Sokolova looks good on the ice, but jump and non-jump elements are way below her best. She is coasting here and resting on past laurels when she should have overshadowed the field.

Martynova is apparently battling a lingering illness and said she didn't have the energy to get through her programs.

The first three had the best overall skating.

Doronina is slow and her spins travel drastically. She is pokerfaced throughout. She had the jumps but everything else was blah.

Volchkova is but a shadow of her former self. She looked so tired and sad out there. Nothing went right for her.

scorekeeper

On the Ice
Was the long program a splat-fest? I only saw Sokolova's. It wasn't her worst, but for all top three ladies to have scores below 150? With all Russian judges? I can't believe Doronina won. After seeing the performances available on You Tube, it's mind-boggling. I used to hope that Viktoria Volchkova would develop the confidence, consistency, and artistry to be the next Russian heavyweight, but that unfortunately hasn't happened.

scorekeeper

On the Ice
Well, now that I've seen the long programs for the top five ladies, I guess I can believe it. It looked like Doronina landed all her triples. She didn't have much else to offer, unfortunately. Ievleva's LP was a bit of a mess. Volchkova looked defeated before she even started.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Levleva is absolutely refreshing. Good spins, footwork, and spirals with some musicality. She has good flow and a striking resemblence to the charming Diana Poth. Very nice SP to Harlem Nocturne btw. I just hope she can get her jumps together at Euro's. Perhaps she's one of those skaters who skate better post teen years like Butyrskaya and Malinina. Crossing fingers because she seems like one of the few hopes for Russia....