The 36th Iditarod Sled Dog Race | Golden Skate

The 36th Iditarod Sled Dog Race

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Alright, I'm going to try and keep this thread updated while the race goes on. The race starts 'officially' on Sunday, with the ceremonial start on Saturday.

The Iditarod will be taking the Northern Route this year, and has a record high of entrees, and it was a record high for rookies. A rookie is defined as a musher who has never crossed the finish line in Nome. That means you can be a rookie for quite a few races :laugh: though I would assume if you really were bad and never made it to Nome but entered every year for a few years they'd just let you be a half-vet or something. :laugh: But I don't make the rules. At last look, 96 mushers are slated to start the race (there were over 100, but many have had to "scratch" - which means withdraw)

Interesting observation - the 'accepted' length is 1,049miles... but the Iditarod site lists the milage this year as 'over 1,150mi'. 1,049 is the poetic idea 49 being significant because Alaska is the 49th state (And we're going to be celebrating... um... 50 years of statehood next year - though technically it was 58 that it was voted we'd go for statehood or whatever...)

The Iditarod restart is now in Willow - that is the new official restart. Wasilla was the home for as long as I can remember, but development of that area and the lack of snow in recent years has made that almost impossible. To be honest the snow isn't as hard to overcome as the many streets and driveways the teams would have to cross now. Times, they are a changin!

I will be volunteering again this year at the ceremonial start. Will hopefully have pictures to share...

Anyway here's a basic rundown of names to look out for, and why.

Lance Mackey - He is the reigning Iditarod Champion, and his family is 'legendary' in the sport. He is the third in his family to win an Iditarod, his father and brother won before him. His win was one of those out of a Disney sports movie.

Martin Buser - one of those that dominated sled dog racing in the 90s, he's a 'transplant' Alaskan, and known for how well he treats his dogs. He is even kidded by others on the trail that he babies his team. When the huge fires in his hometown threatened his home, he didn't waste time protecting the structure... he went in and pulled out his 100+ dogs losing only two who got loose and ran into the woods. Two years ago he ran the race a month after cutting off the tips of several fingers. His son, Rohn, was last year's Jr Champ, and will be making his first appearance on the World level. Can you tell Martin's one of my favorites? Did I mention he's a 4 time Iditarod Champ?

Rick Swenson - He dominated in the 80s and 90s, and was Susan Butcher's main rival of sorts. He's one of them 'outsiders' and you either love him or... well... yeah. ;) He's also rather... large... for a musher. He's taller and heavierset, but he's still cool. I guess. For an outsider anyway. ;) This guy has won more Iditarods than anyone else with a total of 5 wins.

Jeff King - Buser's main rival in the 90s, he's also a 4 time champion. He's known for his antics on and off the trail, as well as his innovations. He helped design the sleds you see racing today. He put a seat on the back of the sled so that he could sit, one time he fell asleep and fell out of the sled (the dogs just stopped, which is lucky for him lol) he then designed seat belts that break away if needed. He tried to put hand warmers on the sled handle, but that caught fire. I guess he provides comic relief.

Rachel Scdoris - She is legally blind, and will be traveling with an Iditarod veteran as a trail guide. He will lead up ahead of her and radio back to let her know what to 'look out for'. She had to petition and testify to get to be in her first (IIRC that was in 05) and she's a very sweet girl, I met her over the summer. She took last year off, but she's back baby!

DeeDee Jonrowe - probably the 'hometown favorite' in a lot of ways. She's been plugging along through the years, and always is a contender - coming very close several times to winning. She's a breast cancer survivor!!! And you can't help but cheer her on. This could be her year!

Mitch Seavey - the 2001 Iditarod Champion, like Lance Mackey he has a long family history and investment within the Iditarod. His father, Dan, helped start up the very first Iditarod and ran several times (his best placement was 3rd). Dan is a hoot! Mitch fell in love with racing dogs growing up in Seward, AK... he has four sons, three of whom have run the Iditarod. In 2000, the Seavey's became the first three generation family to run together. Dan, Mitch, and Mitch's oldest son Danny all ran. Tyrell and Dallas have run in past Iditarods as well. Dallas is actually the youngest musher ever to finish the Iditarod he turned 18 one day before the race - which is the age you are allowed to enter the race, and as long as you're 18 before the race starts you're good to go. Oh yeah, Mitch/Danny/Dallas is my boss (depends on who's in charge on what day I guess lol).

Obviously there are many more mushers, for a complete list click here.

And don't forget to check out all the goodies on Iditarod.com !

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
Wow, I thought this event had been around longer.

And I didn't at all realize Alaska has only been an official state for that short of a period!

Thanks for the runddown, Toni. This is such a cool event!

GoldMedalist said:
And I didn't at all realize Alaska has only been an official state for that short of a period!
Alaska and Hawaii both officially became states in 1959. (If you own a 49 star flag, valid only from January to August, 1959, that's a collector's item.)

I was living in the Pacific Northwest at that time, and I remember the debates about granting statehood. Alaska was no problem. But there was a lot of anti-Asian sentiment and many people didn't want Hawaii to become a state. If it were, how could you stop all those native Hawaiians, Filipinos, Japanese, Samoans, etc. (the Portuguese-Hawaiians were OK) from paddling their canoes over to the mainland? :eek:hwell:

sillylionlove

Medalist
Thanks for the info. the Iditarod is always a great race. My parents met Susan Butcher about 15 years ago when they went to Alaska. They said she was really nice. They got pictures with her and some of her dogs.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yeah, Susan was a great great lady. Like Buser, she was known to 'spoil' her team.... she used to bring in several dogs every night and let them sleep in the house... they rotated out... :laugh: Sled Dogs are so hyper I'd be afraid to let them loose in a house! :laugh: (most prefer to stay outside anyway)

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for the runddown, Toni. This is such a cool event!

I was living in the Pacific Northwest at that time, and I remember the debates about granting statehood. Alaska was no problem. But there was a lot of anti-Asian sentiment and many people didn't want Hawaii to become a state. If it were, how could you stop all those native Hawaiians, Filipinos, Japanese, Samoans, etc. (the Portuguese-Hawaiians were OK) from paddling their canoes over to the mainland? :eek:hwell:

And I believe plenty of Hawaiians weren't too happy about the idea, either, as the vote was either for statehood or remaining a territory, and did not address the injustices dating from when the Euros and European Americans forcefully overthrew the Hawaiian government in 1893.

Anyway, back to topic, love the Iditarod! Go, dogs, go!

ToePick

Rinkside
I admittedly don't know much about the Iditarod, but from what I gathered from the website you linked to, Toni, the mushers and their dogs more or less leave from Anchorage and use their own strategy/tactics/skills along a set path to get to Nome in the fastest time. This is unlike, say, the Tour de France, where everyone races starting at the same time every day and finishing at the same place every night.

Is that right? Are there rules? If so what are they? Do the mushers and their dogs have support teams, or do they carry all their stuff with them for the whole time?

I've never really thought much about it, but the Iditarod is more interesting taht I had previously considered! :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Actually the Anchorage start is for ceremonial purposes only, it does not determine any part of the race at all, it's just for the cameras and the crowd. Think of it like an opening ceremonies, it's a chance for the mushers to all be seen and the race celebrated. Mushers go through the city of anchorage on a well groomed trail and many toss booties out to the people standing along the way.

Volunteers guard each section of the trail so that dumb people don't get run over - and we shoo away moose (or if that isn't possible radio in to the officials so that mushers are warned ahead of time).

There's normally a hotdog/muffin/hot drink stand at some point on the trail and the mushers stop and gab and eat and continue on. This is also where the "Idita-riders" who have bid and won a ride in a musher's sled get their chance to ride.

Because this is not a race and the trails are fast and the crowds make it a bit dangerous there are normally two sleds for the team of 16 dogs to pull (no, this is not hard for them, Mitch Seavey's 16 dog team that was retired from racing can pull a 10,000+ lbs truck with little trouble at all) this also helps if a sled dumps the dogs can still be controlled (in a big city this is key!).

The teams at both the Anchorage and Willow starts are let out in 2 minute intervals. The placement in which they start is just based on when they signed up. It's all based on strategy (Macky wanted the #13 last year, said it'd be a lucky number, he was right) for most if not all the veterans. The teams are then on their own. You cannot replace dogs, but you can drop them (they are dropped at a checkpoint where vets check on them and then fly them back to anchorage to be cared for - there are people out there who are reporting FALSELY that they are left to die, they aren't).

Mushers have a map and compass, but are not allowed to carry a GPS device. This is about relying on your wits and your team. Amazingly most of these dogs can run the race and make it to Nome without a lot of direction (or at the very least make it to the next checkpoint). though they may not stay on the trail.

There is a sort of unspoken set of rules as well as the official rules... mushers are to give way to a passing team I think the only time you don't see that is when the mushers are heading into Nome. That's when all heck can break loose and we have had some close finishes!

The mushers carry a number of things on their sled. You can never predict what you might encounter along the trail. They normally carry a small tent and their sleeping gear, booties, food for the dogs (normally fish... dry dog food for each team is put at each check point that the mushers plan to stop or have to stop at) first aid kit, and other essential items. I believe they mushers are still allowed to carry a weapon for protection for themselves and their dogs.

A musher starts out with 16 dogs, he can't add, he can drop, but really 16 dogs are not needed to finish the race. So long as you have at least 6 dogs when you cross the finish line you are allowed to continue along the race. Most mushers drop dogs along the way not only because the dog is injured/tired/can no longer race safely... but also because that dog is not needed anymore. Most mushers want to finish with no more than 8 or 9 dogs. The power that these dogs have is crazy, and 16 dogs are close to uncontrollable. It's that whole group mentality sort of thing. 16 dogs are good for going over the first set of Mountain passes, after that you see a lot of dogs being left at check points so that the rest of the team can head out at a safer pace. Once a dog is dropped they cannot be put back in for any reason.

hope that answers your questions, ToePick! :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fascinating information about the race, Toni. :agree:

How interesting the historical information about Alaska and Hawaii re; the flags and statehood, too.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
From what I've read (but I have no firsthand experience like Toni!) feeding the dogs is quite an art and a science. When Toni said dry food, she wasn't talking kibble! The dpgs eat mostly meat, and mushers carry cookers to cook the dogs' food fresh. They stop a lot to "snack" the dogs on lighter meals, too. The gear vs. weight decisions are quite strategic, as Toni said -- you start with a lot of stuff, but by the last few days, when you aren't stopping much and are on the final legs -- you're dropping as much gear as you can, as well as the dogs you don't need any more.

There are a few compulsory stops -- I think each musher must take one 24-hour stop, or is it 12 hours? And there are, of course, checkpoints and there is a long tradition of people who open up cabins and the like that aren't year-round residences, just to act as checkpoints. Mushers aren't supposed to get outside help, but stuff like food at the checkpoints, etc. that are done for all are quite traditional.

Libby Riddles's book about her win (first female musher to win) is good; Gary Paulsen's _Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod_ is humorous, poetic, and wonderful; and the book by the first woman to finish (but not win) the race is also good, but her name and the title of the book are not coming to mind right now...

After Libby Riddles won, Susan Butcher had several wins -- this was in the 90's, right, Toni? And there was a spate of sweatshirts and the like with the slogan:

Alaska: Where Men are Men and Women Win the Iditarod

Loved that one!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
there is a 24 and a 12 hour manditory lay over that the mushers can choose to take where ever...

however they have a manditory 6 or 8 (can't remember) rest they must take at the checkpoint just before Nome.

Gary Paulsen was supposed to run again this year, but withdrew after his wood stove caught fire. His books on dog sledding are all great and the favored one by most mushers is the one you suggested.

Jeff King just published his first book and from what I hear it is not only a great read it has a lot of humor as well (this does not surprise me, the guy is hysterical!)

I'm not sure how much of the cooking of the dog's food is still done, while that's how it was done in the 70s and 80s the trail is driven faster now (mainly because the sleds are better designed) and so I don't think the mushers have to feed them along the trail as much. They do still snack them and take breaks. Mitch Seavey's way of running is making it FUN to be out on the trail and just average day in the checkpoints. He stops and plays and loves on the dogs on the trail, but at the checkpoints it's business as usual that way the dogs are ready to leave after a rest... and aren't lingering.

As opposed to say, Ramy Brooks (who is not allowed to race for the next few years because he was found guilty of abusing his dogs on the trail. don't get me started on all of that, the man should be flogged lol) who has always had trouble getting his dogs out of the checkpoints... (some suggest he runs his dogs too hard, I don't know him, but if he never comes back to the sport I won't cry over it.)

Susan won in the late 80s and then again once in the very early 90s IIRC. and yes that shirt is still in print... (in fact Wild Ride bases the last half of our show on that very saying :biggrin: )

there is another one that is no longer in print but is my favorite is
Iditarod: Where men are Riddled and Butchered along the trail.

Libby's win was historic on many levels. Yes, she was the first lady to win (she is woman hear her roar) but she also did it during one of the worst storms in that area's history. All other mushers turned back and anyone making it into the final checkpoint were not allowed to continue on. Libby was out in teh middle of no where and really couldn't turn back without getting lost. She had to basically rely on her lead dogs' sense of direction and dangers...

She and Susan were my heroes growing up! :)

laceup

On the Ice
Thanks for filling us in on so much about this .... it is very interesting. I am amazed at how many teams there are - way more than I thought there would be. Must be an incredible experience for these people!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah the list grows every year.... it's really cool

the only qualification is that they finish in the top 10 or 20 of another long distance race (if they've never finished an Iditarod) once you finish the Iditarod you have a 'bye' for life.

Ceremonial Start begins in 2 and a half hours.... I'll be heading out in about an hour! :)

ToePick

Rinkside
Wow!!! Lots of really interesting information (I've finally had a chance to read it and actually absorb it) -- thanks Toni!

How did the start go? Seems like that would be a fun experience (in spite of crowds, craziness, etc.).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
start went reall well. had a few mishaps on the trail where we were guarding, but for the most part it went without a hitch

the official start begins in about 22 minutes! :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Day 4 Morning Update --

Dee Dee Jonerowe almost lost her team before getting into Rainy Pass, but she was able to recover them! - http://iditarodblogs.com/news/2008/03/03/jonrowe-loses-then-recovers-her-team/

Mitch Seavey is down to 14 dogs, the one he dropped last night seemed to have a sore shoulder. He actually turned around and went back to the checkpoint to drop the dog, unlike what the anti-Iditarod website reports that he would either keep running the dog or shoot it... hmmmmm interesting ;) (one site is already reporting that the Iditarod is reporting falsely. Considering one of the dogs that broke its foot last year is one of the family's dogs and is still very much alive, I think they have the wrong Mitch Seavey lol)

What is really surprising - to me - is that Rohn Buser is up in the mix... being a rookie in the top 20 is impressive! :eek: Then again his dad is a 4 time champion, and he's running some of his dad's dogs... so... ;)

Also looks like there could be trouble ahead as there's a storm brewing - http://iditarodblogs.com/news/2008/...nt-runners-about-to-run-into-a-weather-front/ - praying everyone will be okay and that the dogs stay strong! Storms always make the race interesting, it's how Libby Riddles won in 85!

As of right now Lance Mackey is in the lead followed closely by Hugh Neff - there's less than a minute between them out of the checkpoint of Rohn (yes Buser named his boys after checkpoints, how sad is that? :laugh: )

Jeff King came in a couple minutes after Mitch, but left a couple of minutes before him so they are 3rd and 4th. and about an hour behind Lance.

should be an interesting and on the edge of your seat kinda race! :rock:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
we've had our first withdrawl - Tom Roig, a rookie, scratched after reaching the Rainy Pass checkpoint. Haven't read as to why...

considering most scratched at Rainy Pass last year, this is already a far better trail/race.

ToePick

Rinkside
Thanks for the updates -- much jucier than the 2 sentences we had in the paper this morning naming the leader as of the Rainy Pass checkpoint!!!