Depth of judges' pool questioned | Golden Skate

Depth of judges' pool questioned

antmanb

Record Breaker
Soooooo many things to criticse with this article and soooooo little time.

For startes - having Scott "my screaming is oh so impartial" Hamilton commenting on this is like a bad joke. Somebody better explain to him? Why? Who exactly does he think he is? The overall arbiter of figure skating?

In the men's event this week, there are no judges from Canada, France, the United States, Japan or Russia. Instead, the judges are from a jumble of countries that include Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, China, Czech Republic, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Poland, Romania, Spain and Sweden - countries that are not skating powers.

Russia - a powerhouse in men's skating?? Right now? I find it offensive that the other countries are a "jumble" to the writer in case he missed it - skaters from the Czech Republic and Belgium are higher ranked (or possibly were with KVDPs poor worlds showing) than any Russian and possibly Japanese men's skater.

Chan said after the short program Wednesday that when he looked down the row of judges, he didn't recognize many of them.

What on earth does whether Chan recognises them have to do with it. He's hardly got years and years of experience on the senior circuit - maybe he hasn't come across every single elligible judge qualified to judge seniors yet?

What were they hoping - get Hamilton screaming at fever pitch and start working the media to get a double gold medal awarded to Chan? :rofl::rofl:

Is this a premonition of what is to come at the Olympics? NA Media lobbying for gold medals?

Ant

oxade21

Match Penalty
Scott has very short memory. The last time there were Russian and French judge, he sung totally different song.
Scott, go back to reality shows. Please don't turn FS into Dancing with the stars.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Soooooo many things to criticse with this article and soooooo little time.

For startes - having Scott "my screaming is oh so impartial" Hamilton commenting on this is like a bad joke. Somebody better explain to him? Why? Who exactly does he think he is? The overall arbiter of figure skating?

Russia - a powerhouse in men's skating?? Right now? I find it offensive that the other countries are a "jumble" to the writer in case he missed it - skaters from the Czech Republic and Belgium are higher ranked (or possibly were with KVDPs poor worlds showing) than any Russian and possibly Japanese men's skater.

What on earth does whether Chan recognises them have to do with it. He's hardly got years and years of experience on the senior circuit - maybe he hasn't come across every single elligible judge qualified to judge seniors yet?

What were they hoping - get Hamilton screaming at fever pitch and start working the media to get a double gold medal awarded to Chan? :rofl::rofl:

Is this a premonition of what is to come at the Olympics? NA Media lobbying for gold medals?

Ant

I completely agree. Dare I say that we may have another double-gold ceremony if anyone dares beat Patrick Chan at the Olympics? Especially on home turf too...

And in what alternate universe does the Canadian media actually WANT French and Russian judges, after making them public enemies #1 and #2 in the 2002 debacle? All this shows is how far the media will go to dig up something to complain about and push certain skaters.

oxade21

Match Penalty
I completely agree. Dare I say that we may have another double-gold ceremony if anyone dares beat Patrick Chan at the Olympics? Especially on home turf too...

And in what alternate universe does the Canadian media actually WANT French and Russian judges, after making them public enemies #1 and #2 in the 2002 debacle? All this shows is how far the media will go to dig up something to complain about and push certain skaters.

ITA. I can not stand this guy and his cheerleader, the sweet-talking Sandra Besic.
I blame them and only them for the whole mess that this sport turned into.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Entire post
:clap: Ant, thank you for taking the time to read through that thing and write a well-reasoned response. As someone with ties to two countries from the so-called jumble, I'm offended. These judges have probably had to work very hard to be considered qualified to judge Worlds and are likely more impartial than many of those criticizing them in that piece.

Also, I'm not aware that liking Patrick Chan's skating is the main criterion for being a qualified figure skating judge.

oxade21

Match Penalty
OK, guys, this is the funniest part. I am even going to put this as my signature. LOL
Chan said after the short program Wednesday that when he looked down the row of judges, he didn't recognize many of them.

What world do you live in, Patrick?

TripletA

Rinkside
It doesn't matter if the judges have been working for ten years or one if they want to cheat they will find a way to cheat. Obviously new judges needs experience. I wonder how Scott Hamilton plans on them getting this? Every judge had to judge at their first worlds sometime?

I don't understand how Scott Hamilton and Sandra have jobs.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
It doesn't matter if the judges have been working for ten years or one if they want to cheat they will find a way to cheat. Obviously new judges needs experience. I wonder how Scott Hamilton plans on them getting this? Every judge had to judge at their first worlds sometime?

Yes, but having almost half the panel as first time judges at Worlds is a bit odd. I'd like to see a larger majority of experienced judges on a major events panel.

bekalc

Record Breaker
It's getting ridiculous and upsetting... I'm so rooting for Brian Joubert now to learn his lesson and next year be like two quads no matter what. Than what are Scott and Sandra going to say.. They'll just act like they all did when Plushenko won. :rofl:

This is just an awful article. Despite the bold headline, no information whatsoever is given about the prior experience of any of the judges on the panel.

Romania should not be selected in the judges' draw because there are only two ISU judges in Romania? Australia should not be included in the judges' draw because there is no Australian skater contending for a medal?

What do the changes in the drawing procedure have to do with the "depth" of the judging pool? In fact, there was nothing in the article that had any relevance whatever to the depth of the ISU judging pool.

Beverly Smith ought to be ashamed of such shoddy work.

Scott Hamilton said:
"Somebody better explain this to me," Hamilton said.

Or else what? You'll pee your pants?

You can start by reading the CoP rule book. (I am going to send back my ticket to SOI. :laugh: )

jettasian

Match Penalty
Well, whether you agree or disagree with the article, the Men's SP and LP judging WAS A JOKE! No way Jourbert's PC markers were higher than Chan, esp the LP. Chan got robbed at least 4-5 marks in the SP. He could have won the whole thing.

^ OK, but the article was nominally about the depth of the ISU judging pool, not about whether Patrick Chan should have won the championship.

The author said nothing to justify her headline implication that the ISU judging pool has somehow become more shallow. On the contrary, I think there are a greater number of qualified judges now than ever before, and representing a broader geographical and cultural spectrum to boot.

screech

Final Flight
I think it's great that judges are from places that the contendors are not. Personally I hope it would promote more impartiality as you aren't rooting for someone from your country. Really, who do Mexico and Australia favour in the mens event? I like it. We should add South Africa, Cayman Islands, Malta and heck, Vatican City in the judging pool. I think it would be great if no judges were from the country of the top 6 ranked skaters in the world. Not bloody likely, but it would be interesting.

jettasian

Match Penalty
If this is Olympic, no way the judges would get away with it! It'd be Salt Lake all over again!

jettasian

Match Penalty
^ OK, but the article was nominally about the depth of the ISU judging pool, not about whether Patrick Chan should have won the championship.

The author said nothing to justify her headline implication that the ISU judging pool has somehow become more shallow. On the contrary, I think there are a greater number of qualified judges now than ever before, and representing a broader geographical and cultural spectrum to boot.

But it's Chan's SP marks that raised the question about judging issue again.

jettasian

Match Penalty
That would have been a better title for the article: "Chan's SP marks raise judging issues again." (You should go into journalism. :) )

Trust me, if I could write well...I would....and the world will be so pissed at me...lol