So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About.... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About....

Tigger

Final Flight
You know...Not all that long ago posters here were complaining that skaters never say anything honest or frank anymore and it's all nicey nice soundbites.

Well, we now get that and people are complaining. You can't have both ways Gang and you know what else? We now have an honest to goodness rivarly being born. One that's going to get talked and written about, will gain the casual fan's attention and....Possibly....Get ratings up going into the Vancouver Olympics so skating is taken seriously in North America again.

Yes, Patrick's young, but he's also being honest. I mean...He's not the only one who was complaining about Brian's very empty program getting the marks it did for both programs. There were others. That's not personal, it's an truthful observation. I mean, my Dad who watches only when I do if we're in the same room when it's on now that Josee Chouinard has retired (He had quite the crush on her back in the day. Anyway...) picked up on that during the replays of last night during coverage of the Ladies SP's today.

So if he can figure that one out, then...It's not that personal a jab people. Good grief!!

bekalc

Record Breaker
Tigger. I mainly take issue with Chan because he called Joubert a bad sport for criticizing Buttle's no quad.

If it's fair game for Chan to criticize Joubert's program and scores. Than it's fair game for Joubert to criticize Buttle's lack of a quad.

Chan has no business whatsover calling someone a poor sport and a loser, and then displaying similar behavior a few days later.

Brian Joubert was shocked and didnt' understand why Chan went so personal with him.

So in the end that's my main issue with Chan, is the hypocriticallness of Chan criticizing Joubert for speaking about the quad, but then think it's okay for him to criticize Joubert's program.

You can't have it both ways.

Tigger

Final Flight
There is a huge difference between what Brian did last year and what Patrick is saying.

However, there are some members of this board that just want to read whatever they want into whatever is reported.

BTW...I have an extra, but used, white cane for those who are interested. There are some on this board in dire need of it.

bekalc

Record Breaker
There is a huge difference between what Brian did last year and what Patrick is saying.

However, there are some members of this board that just want to read whatever they want into whatever is reported.

BTW...I have an extra, but used, white cane for those who are interested. There are some on this board in dire need of it.

Huh? What huge difference. A lot of people may agree with Patrick about Joubert's programs. But a lot of people also agree about Buttle's lack of a quad.

According to Patrick, it's poor sportmanship to criticize other's programs, except of course when Patrick does it. Than I guess it's perfectly a-okay...

i love to skate

Medalist
Huh? What huge difference. A lot of people may agree with Patrick about Joubert's programs. But a lot of people also agree about Buttle's lack of a quad.

According to Patrick, it's poor sportmanship to criticize other's programs, except of course when Patrick does it. Than I guess it's perfectly a-okay...

I don't think it's the fact that Brian criticized Jeff's program but the timing that Patrick had issue with. Right after Jeff had won, speaking in the press conference basically saying Jeff did not deserve to win. That is poor sportsmanship...almost like stealing Jeff's moment.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't think it's the fact that Brian criticized Jeff's program but the timing that Patrick had issue with. Right after Jeff had won, speaking in the press conference basically saying Jeff did not deserve to win. That is poor sportsmanship...almost like stealing Jeff's moment.

Well Patrick criticized Joubert's marks right after Joubert won the short program wasn't that Joubert's moment. And isn't Patrick criticizing Joubert's marks kicking someone when he's down too? Real nice...

Not to mention that Patrick in his article accused Joubert of doing this behind Buttle's back. Something Joubert didn't do, he said it to Buttle's face.

And let's get this straight this was a year ago. Joubert said he was shocked and didn't understand Patrick's comment as couple of days ago. He said Patrick has always been a nice guy (and those two have competed twice this year) Brian get why he's being so personal.

So yes Patrick is a hypocrite.

enlight78

Medalist

I believe the difference is that joubert comments were almost on the line that Buttle didn't deserve to win. More of a beef with the judging system vs quad. Chan was criticizing jouberts promotion of the quad and degrading the difficulty of some skaters quadless program believing Brian should improve his program instead asking for more points. Then after the short Chan ask for more points in pcs. So I guess he is kind of a hypocrite.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Wow! Astonishing! What is this? My guess is that Chan won't have a quad next year. The quadless skater has started a no-quad campaign.

I think Evan is not Chan's biggest rival, like Chan himself said. Joubert is. Joubert is his biggest obstacle that prevent him from climbing to the top because Joubert gets high marks and Joubert has steady quads. Evan doesn't have a quad any more. If he has, he doesn't try that often any more. Even he tries, the success rate is just 50%.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I believe the difference is that joubert comments were almost on the line that Buttle didn't deserve to win. More of a beef with the judging system vs quad. Chan was criticizing jouberts promotion of the quad and degrading the difficulty of some skaters quadless program believing Brian should improve his program instead asking for more points.

Well maybe you need to look at Joubert in context. Joubert was complaining for years about the quad being devalued that it wasn't fair that the quad was devalued. For years.

What Joubert was basically trying to say was that the value of the quad should be increased so more people will go for it and we wont' have this "happen again." He did say that Buttle deserved to win because he skated perfect.

And once again, what does Patrick mean when he says Joubert doesn't deserve his marks.

Once again what I'm saying is that Patrick is a hypocrite for calling Joubert a sore loser for criticizing Buttle. Patrick cannot get up there in front of the international press, call someone a sore loser and a whiner for complaining about Buttle's lack of a quad, And then several days later go to the national press and complain to the International Press that Joubert didn't deserve his scores.

So my point. I would have a heck of a lot less issue with Patrick Chan right now, if Patrick hadn't called Joubert a sore loser.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Chan was criticizing jouberts promotion of the quad and degrading the difficulty of some skaters quadless program believing Brian should improve his program instead asking for more points.
But why would Chan come up with such a weird advise for Joubert? What's there to improve? Joubert's base values for SP as well as FS are higher than Chan's. Joubert also gets higher PCS. What else can be done?

My guess is that Chan won't have a quad next year.

My guess is the same as yours.

Last edited:
...Now Brian has had two guys surpass him without the quad under their belt. I wonder is he going to stamp his feet and complain about Evan and Patrick coming first and second respectively minus the quad?

Well, we have our answer to that question. Joubert behaved like a gentleman and Chan was the one who stamped his feet like a petulant child.

Medussa said:
Well, Mr. Chan. That ship has sailed.

:rofl:

Phooey on Patrick Chan. I am going to switch my cheering over to Kozuka! (And Van der Perren, of course. :biggrin: )

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think Patrick and Joubert have much of a rivalry...

and I don't think their war of words (or Patricks own personal battle) will do much for North American coverage. Perhaps Canada, but not North America. Shoot, Johnny and Evan couldn't get THAT much witht their petty rivalry... though it did perk up the journalists in the Press Room at nationals every year.

hongligl

Final Flight
Patrick seemed to be a very nice guy. I remembers one time he felt bad that another skater who did more jumps got lower score than he did, and said that straight to the interviewer. It seems that he says whatever comes to his mind. That being said, it seems really too much to attack Joubert like that! I really wish Patrick keep his mouth shut, seriously. I like Patrick, but still, too much is too much.

I'm kind of pissed off by the judging. How could the choreography score change so much for the same program from competition to copetition? That's just for one thing. SS should not change that much either IMO.

i love to skate

Medalist
Wow! Astonishing! What is this? My guess is that Chan won't have a quad next year. The quadless skater has started a quadless campaign.

Did you not read the part of the article where Chan talked about incorporating the quad and having a spot for it in the long program? He even said he's got to start adding new things or else he is going to get boring.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Did you not read the part of the article where Chan talked about incorporating the quad and having a spot for it in the long program? He even said he's got to start adding new things or else he is going to get boring.

We will believe it when we see it...HE also said he'd have it by the GPF this year.

jennylovskt

Medalist

Yes, Chan also said in the interview before the competition that he won't trash talk other skaters "except this time".:biggrin:

enlight78

Medalist
I love the juicy truthful comments by Patrick and Brian. Keep them comming. It doesn't bother me a long as the comments have reasonal basis for them and not name calling attacks. I would always prefer to know what the athletes really feel and think then have some nice fakeness. Who care if is personal or unsportsman like, or if I don't agree with it.

PS.Jouberts Transition, and Choreagraphy score always baffle me too.But I good on SS,I, PE he always get the crowd going.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it really necessary to create a new thread just for the sake of stirring up negativity? Don't we have enough of that going on in the other existing threads?