So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About.... | Golden Skate

So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About....

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Last Worlds Brian Joubert let the whole world know that he was not a "happy camper" at Jeff Buttle's victory sans the quad. Now Brian has had two guys surpass him without the quad under their belt. I wonder is he going to stamp his feet and complain about Evan and Patrick coming first and second respectively minus the quad? Kurt said that Brian "thought too much" through his program and tried to change things at the end, which basically worked against him. Interesting how two years in a row the quad has not been the advantage point for the outcome.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Last Worlds Brian Joubert let the whole world know that he was not a "happy camper" at Jeff Buttle's victory sans the quad. Now Brian has had two guys surpass him without the quad under their belt. I wonder is he going to stamp his feet and complain about Evan and Patrick coming first and second respectively minus the quad? Kurt said that Brian "thought too much" through his program and tried to change things at the end, which basically worked against him. Interesting how two years in a row the quad has not been the advantage point for the outcome.

I would love to see/read bits from the press conference! Might be really interesting to hear what the skaters have to say.

I hate Brian's strategy of only doing the minimum to win. I want a champion that showed up and skated his/her best, like Evan Lysacek. I could care less about the damn quad. He skated brillantly and was rewarded. I think Brian could have won if he had stuck with his planned program. For someone who goes on, and on, and on ,and on about how important the quad is, he sure takes them out of his program a lot.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Well, Brian didn't have much to say. Chan had plenty to say though:

"You're kidding," he said, when told the judges awarded Joubert, the 2007 world champion, slightly higher program component scores.

"That's bad. That's disappointing, really disappointing. I hope they realize it real soon. I mean, c'mon, I was watching Brian and I told Michael Slipchuk [Skate Canada's high performance director] 'Are you serious? This is his program?' There's no comparison, even with the fourth or fifth [place] skater."

"Put mine, Evan [Lysacek]'s or Tomas Verner's program near Brian's, and it's pretty obvious . . . I bet if Brian had better footwork and programs and worked on his spins, and had that quad, he would have took it home," he said. "You don't need that quad."

I think that he is really harsh. It's his opinion of course. I don't know if there is a plan behind all this, but if there is, it is good. He ridicules Brian and it definitely influences the public, the media (mostly the Northern American one I guess), maybe even judges and officials. It could be a great set-up of a big "wuz-robbed" show next year.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Joubert definetly or someone from Skate France has to respond. Now. But you know what Joubert can respond to Chan by getting a kick butt program.

Wrlmy

Medalist
As much as I luuuuuuuuve Patrick, he's just being unnecessarily and grossly harsh. He beat Brian, so I guess he will never be labelled "sore loser", but come on! You have to be blind and deaf to not notice that Brian is the crowd favorite everywhere he goes. In terms of projection and charisma, Brian is clearly the best out there.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Oh Patrick, why are you still kicking Brian even when he's down?

For that matter, I really wonder why he isn't (rightfully) also complaining about the fact that Evan's PCS was substantially higher than his. All this Brian-bashing just makes him look worse and worse.

bekalc

Record Breaker
As much as I luuuuuuuuve Patrick, he's just being unnecessarily and grossly harsh. He beat Brian, so I guess he will never be labelled "sore loser", but come on! You have to be blind and deaf to not notice that Brian is the crowd favorite everywhere he goes. In terms of projection and charisma, Brian is clearly the best out there.

Actually Wrlmy Chan can be labelled as a sore loser, because he made similar comments after the short program. So sore loser is Chan.....

Medusa

Record Breaker
Oh Patrick, why are you still kicking Brian even when he's down?

For that matter, I really wonder why he isn't (rightfully) also complaining about the fact that Evan's PCS was substantially higher than his. All this Brian-bashing just makes him look worse and worse.
I don't know why he isn't complaining about Evan. Perhaps he really prefers Evan's style? They have the same choreographer and everything.

But those statements really make me sad. I just don't like the tone of it.

Tesla

Final Flight
Actually Wrlmy Chan can be labelled as a sore loser, because he made similar comments after the short program. So sore loser is Chan.....

How about a loser who's a sore winner? Those comments from Patrick are uncalled for, and I think they make him look like an a$$.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Joubert definetly or someone from Skate France has to respond. Now. But you know what Joubert can respond to Chan by getting a kick butt program.

I would have thought this is what he would have done when the first articles came out before Worlds. I would have thought the best way to get back at Chan is to pack the long program full of quads. Guess he didn't want to get back at Chan that much.

Last edited:

skatingbc

Final Flight
http://www.canada.com/sports/2010wi...edal+puts+Olympic+paradise/1436682/story.html

I really like this article. In it he states him and Brian shook hands and he made some nice comments about Brian. Chan says what he feels I guess, like it or hate it.

I like that article. I think it's refreshing to have someone say how they're actually feeling and not pussyfoot around it. As much as I disagree with what Joubert has to say in regards to the quad, and I think he's a bit hypocritical with regards to the quad, at least he says whats on his mind.

I think that some comments regarding Joubert's personality and calling him a "sore loser" were uncalled for. Not the right thing to say.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Well, Brian didn't have much to say. Chan had plenty to say though:
I think that he is really harsh. It's his opinion of course. I don't know if there is a plan behind all this, but if there is, it is good. He ridicules Brian and it definitely influences the public, the media (mostly the Northern American one I guess), maybe even judges and officials. It could be a great set-up of a big "wuz-robbed" show next year.
Chan said all that? WOW! :rofl:
Hmmmm, yeah, according to the protocols Chan lost to Joubert on every single program component, except for choreo (CH) in the free program where both scored 7.70. And this makes Chan's claims about superior quality of his own skating ungrounded, I guess. Because it's not in the protocols. And it hurts?

Reg Evan Lysacek. Not so long ago Evan was an avid devotee of the 'quad' thing. A rabid one, almost.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Quotes from the article mentioned above
“Everybody at school treats me like crap . . . or not crap, but a normal person, which is great, because there’s no chance of getting a big ego.”
Well, Mr. Chan. That ship has sailed.

“I think the (International Skating Union) boss, whoever the boss is, I’m pretty sure he’s going to be upset about what happened. And I think it’s good that it’s happening now and not at the Olympics. That would be really bad.
Perhaps Chan should already apply for the job, he seems to know all about it. What is the ISU boss supposed to do? Tell the judges: don't let the Frenchman win, Patrick Chan said so?

“Like come on. It’s just so obvious. Just put my, Evan’s or Tomas’s program next to Brian’s. It’s like, ‘Hello.’ It’s white and black.”
And perhaps he should demand new judges. No, better idea: no more judges - Patrick Chan will from now on judge every competition by himself. He is the No.1 authority.

------------

I am sorry. I didn't want to get nasty. I couldn't help myself. I really think that he is out of line. :cry:

i love to skate

Medalist
“It might be a case of earning my stripes. For sure that plays a factor. But maybe it’s a blessing in disguise. Maybe it’s like holding me back, keeping the horse in the gate before the big race, the Olympic Games. It sort of looks like that, and I like to be the guy in that position, ready to seize the moment when it comes.”

And despite his forthrightness on the topic of judging, he said he and Joubert shook hands after the competition Thursday night.

“Of course, he didn’t say anything because he was really upset. But like Evan said, you win some, you lose some. At least now he has medals of every colour.”

“I think if I don’t have the quad next year, and don’t put it out there, people are going to say: ‘OK, Patrick, it’s time to get going. You gotta really put it in, because you need something new. When I’m at practice and I don’t do a quad, I feel like I’m cheating, in a way.

“I just want to make sure I keep my standards up. Sometimes we have those freaky ones that win a worlds and then disappear. If you don’t have a quad in, you guarantee a close match. If you put a quad in, you can really blow away the competition — if you deliver the rest of the program, which unfortunately Brian didn’t. I bet if he had better program, better footwork, better spins and had that quad, he definitely would have taken it home, with a big lead.”

Medusa, he said some nice things as well. He also talks about the quad and his plans with it, which many people have been complaining about. He's a smart kid and knows what is expected out of him.

In other sports, such as hockey, you often see hockey players calling each other out and taking personal shots. Even Roger Federer has said some not so nice things about opponents - and I love him:love:

Sports should be competitive and emotions get in the way sometimes. As I said before, skaters don't always have to be nice all the time.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Medusa, he said some nice things as well. He also talks about the quad and his plans with it, which many people have been complaining about. He's a smart kid and knows what is expected out of him.

In other sports, such as hockey, you often see hockey players calling each other out and taking personal shots. Even Roger Federer has said some not so nice things about opponents - and I love him:love:

Sports should be competitive and emotions get in the way sometimes. As I said before, skaters don't always have to be nice all the time.

Well put.

There are some pretty nasty things about most skaters on this board. I would say most of the posters who are criticizing Patrick right now have said some pretty nasty things about him or other skaters in the past. Why should the skaters be held to higher standards? Also, when I was competing myself, I disliked most of my major competition. It wasn't really anything against them as people, it was them as my competitors. I still don't think he should criticized Brian's personality though. That's a bit too below the belt for my liking.

And as for the hockey games, if figure skating fans are shocked by Patrick's comments here then I don't think they're ready for hockey games!

i love to skate

Medalist
Also, when I was competing myself, I disliked most of my major competition. It wasn't really anything against them as people, it was them as my competitors. I still don't think he should criticized Brian's personality though. That's a bit too below the belt for my liking.

And as for the hockey games, if figure skating fans are shocked by Patrick's comments here then I don't think they're ready for hockey games!

I also disliked some of my fellow competitors at competitions - and some of them were really good friends of mine!

I agree about the hockey comments. I think people would be quite shocked at what comes out of some players mouths :laugh:

screech

Final Flight
Patrick doesn't have the PR experience and training the other skaters do. He's young and new at this, so I bet that when asked a question, he answers with his honest opinion. I bet if he had time to think about his words first he would have worded it differently, but many do agree with him.

I don't think it's ego or conceit or anything - it's just youth, answering questions with his honest opinion.

Just like Brian did last year (but he wasn't as young or inexperienced so it was less excusable in a way to some...)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Evan hasn't been forgiven for his sound bites about Johnny once upon a time...

youth should not be an excuse for not being tactful :laugh: