Three-time Olympic champ Rodnina turns 60 | Golden Skate

Three-time Olympic champ Rodnina turns 60

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090909&content_id=6872442&vkey=ice_news

Some people never seem to age. Figure skating legend Irina Rodnina is one of them, and it is hard to believe that the three-time Olympic pairs champion turns 60 on Saturday, Sept. 12. The Russian not only won three Olympic gold medals, but 10 world and 11 European titles from 1969 to 1980 as well, making her the most successful figure skater in history. Together with partners Alexei Ulanov, followed by Alexander Zaitsev, Rodnina re-invented pairs skating with a modern, fast-paced style and more athletic programs.

Happy Birthday, Irina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wicked

Final Flight
I will never forget Rodnina and Zaitsev finishing their program at 1973 Worlds (and winning gold!) after their music stopped in the middle.

gracie

Rinkside
I will never forget Rodnina and Zaitsev finishing their program at 1973 Worlds (and winning gold!) after their music stopped in the middle.

That was a stellar performance, but I held my breath with each of her performances. She made me the pairs fan I still am today.

My birthday falls during September, which is why I remember Rodnina's day. Glad to see it mentioned here! Rodnina was one of a kind, always a joy to watch. Also, the great John Curry was born September 9 in the same year as Rodnina--so I take a moment to remember Curry on what would have been his sixtieth birthday. He was as seminal in his discipline as Rodnina was in hers. I think we can justifiably say that men's skating can be divided into Before Curry and After Curry--he brought artistic expression and musicality to men's skating without losing the power of the jumps and other technical aspects. Unlike Rodnina, who had the Russian Federation's complete and proud support as far as I can tell (please correct me if I'm mistaken), Curry had no such backing. England wasn't much of a skating power at that time. He had to find his own skating path. He came to America, found an American sponsor, and trained with Carlo Fassi and (I think) Gus Lussi. Any of you who don't know Curry's work should hunt it up on YouTube, especially his long program from the 1976 Olympics. The jumps were largely doubles in that era, but you'll still be wowed by the beauty and command of his skating. Then find some of his work as a professional, when he could really give rein to his innovative impulses. If there were a Mount Rushmore of skaters, this guy's face would be carved into it.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

Same here! It took a lot of guts and they had them in spades. It was one of the most thrilling performances of all time in pair skating.

:bow:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Happy birthday, Irina! I was a huge fan of Rodnina with Ulanov and Zaitshev, what a competitor!!!

Oh, John Curry, I can never forget him as he was my first and biggest male singles skater favourite. He got me interested in men´s discipline, which still is the one that interests me most.