Alexandra Stepanova & Ivan Bukin | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Alexandra Stepanova & Ivan Bukin

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
She isnt pregnant then?
I’ve not heard that rumour before but I’d assume not since she is back skating. From everything I’ve read, they have been quite clear that they aim to keep skating and still have a passion to keep improving/growing etc. as long as health allows them to and aim to make it to the 2026 Olympics. They are still young enough if you look at the likes of Piper and Paul and Chock and Bates who are still skating into their thirties, so no reason for Sasha and Vanya to retire just yet!

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Hi all, Sasha and Vanya have apparently announced today that they are switching coaching teams and moving to Zhulin. It’s a good a move as they really want to win the Olympics, so this probably puts them in the best place to do that with the coaching teams available in Russia.

Edit: should have said, I hope they don’t lose what makes them so cool and different to the rest of the pack. Zhulin’s programmes can be a bit boring and traditional!

Last edited:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Hi all, Sasha and Vanya have apparently announced today that they are switching coaching teams and moving to Zhulin. It’s a good a move as they really want to win the Olympics, so this probably puts them in the best place to do that with the coaching teams available in Russia.

Edit: should have said, I hope they don’t lose what makes them so cool and different to the rest of the pack. Zhulin’s programmes can be a bit boring and traditional!
their last programs weren't that out of the box anyway, this could be an improvement

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I'm happy to hear that they are coming back! I think they have unfinished business and they have motivation to finally reach that worlds podium and also the 2026 olympics.

As for the coaching decision... I welcome the change, but they could have gone anywhere! I don't think any coach in Russia would have turned them away, they have achieved european and GP medals that none of their domestic rivals have. Dreading the future programs and politics to come :slink:
I saw a few people assuming they had retired so I hope they have a great comeback regardless

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
I'm happy to hear that they are coming back! I think they have unfinished business and they have motivation to finally reach that worlds podium and also the 2026 olympics.

As for the coaching decision... I welcome the change, but they could have gone anywhere! I don't think any coach in Russia would have turned them away, they have achieved european and GP medals that none of their domestic rivals have. Dreading the future programs and politics to come :slink:
I saw a few people assuming they had retired so I hope they have a great comeback regardless
Yeah, I agree they could have gone anywhere but I guess if they really want to get on the podium at Worlds and Olympics, Zhulin is their best bet. I was thinking Krylova may have been a good option because she is so creative and would have played up their uniqueness but she doesn’t have the same cache or pull that Zhulin seems to have with the fed. I just really hope he doesn’t make them generic. It would have been interesting if they could have gone to coaches outside Russia who create modern programmes that would suit their style more, but hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised. I imagine that Sasha and Vanya would have thought long and hard about moving since they have been with their coaches for so long.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Yeah, I agree they could have gone anywhere but I guess if they really want to get on the podium at Worlds and Olympics, Zhulin is their best bet. I was thinking Krylova may have been a good option because she is so creative and would have played up their uniqueness but she doesn’t have the same cache or pull that Zhulin seems to have with the fed. I just really hope he doesn’t make them generic. It would have been interesting if they could have gone to coaches outside Russia who create modern programmes that would suit their style more, but hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised. I imagine that Sasha and Vanya would have thought long and hard about moving since they have been with their coaches for so long.
Yes, Zhulin teams often end up in the olympic team event and I guess they would have considered the move for a while. Krylova does indeed make creative programs; I'm not sure who they could have gone to abroad, perhaps Zueva but I don't know how well received she is with the fed.

Ganya

Rinkside
Wow! If they make a comeback as planned, that would make her maybe the third ever skater to continue competing after giving birth :eek: (I can't think of anyone else besides Zoe Jones and Ekaterina Gordeeva?)
Irina Rodnina won her third Olympic gold in 1980 one year after her son Aleksandr Zaitsev Jr was born.
Also, I remember a German pair skater Peggy Schwarz making her way to the Worlds podium some years after giving birth.
Oh, looks like I forgot about Tatyana Navka, who won all her major titles in Ice Dancing already being a mum.

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Irina Rodnina won her third Olympic gold in 1980 one year after her son Aleksandr Zaitsev Jr was born.
Also, I remember a German pair skater Peggy Schwarz making her way to the Worlds podium some years after giving birth.
Oh, looks like I forgot about Tatyana Navka, who won all her major titles in Ice Dancing already being a mum.
:thank:That is good to know! Kudos to these ladies. It seems that among the few competitive skaters who are parents, even fewer are female. Skating dads are a little more common, we see one every couple of seasons (no shade to Keegan and Dr Virttanen, I am sure it's not easy for them juggling childcare and training). I guess the nature of this sport doesn't allow much time to recover from the physical impact of childbirth, similar to artistic gymnastics. And maybe also we just never see it because female skaters generally retire before the average age of motherhood.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Wow! If they make a comeback as planned, that would make her maybe the third ever skater to continue competing after giving birth :eek: (I can't think of anyone else besides Zoe Jones and Ekaterina Gordeeva?)
Miki Ando also competed after she became a mother, including 2013-14 nationals. I think it takes a lot of courage to return to elite sport after giving birth, I wish Sasha and her new family well!

Both Sasha and Ivan are now parents to very young children, it would be cool to see them back with new dances and and hopefully ahead of their closest rivals.