Does the fact that Michelle is without an OGM ruin her image/legacy? | Golden Skate

Does the fact that Michelle is without an OGM ruin her image/legacy?

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
Hi guys,

Recently I've been watching a lot of Michelle Kwan videos and I've found myself being constantly moved by how much emotion and expression she skated with. Her spirals, her jumps, her artistry have all been absolute love, and of course I needed to find out some more about her because I'm quite new to the figure skating scene. I know she's regarded as one of the best ever, what with 5 worlds, 9 US nationals and a billion other trophies in her cabinet.

However, I also noted that she never won the Olympics in two tries and I was wondering if this in any way tarnished her reputation in your eyes. For me, it doesn't because I feel such privilege when I watch her skate. But I could understand if people suggested that she didn't step up as much as she could have at the Olympics. Please this should not be a thread of arguing but rather discussion... in your eyes, does the fact that Michelle doesn't have an OGM tarnish her image? For me, I think that she'll remain the most loved figure skater ever, but that's just me.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
Great point Sequinsgalore :D I guess she proves that OGM is not the be all and end-all of figure skating! I mean, look at Kurt Browning too

MKFSfan

Medalist
To sum it up in one word: NO.

Michelle is one of a few who's career transcends the OGM. Yes, an OGM would've completed the resume, but really, what more could it have done for her image/legacy? She's already the most decorated US skater, has made millions in endorsements, etc. She is very beloved and an icon of the sport.

Mafke

Medalist
To repeat something I've said many times before, I think she would have done more for OGM than OGM could have done for her. (same goes for Ito, Slutskaya Browning and maybe even Stojko).

Raatkirani

On the Ice
Absolutely not! As a casual figure skating fan, I love skaters with long careers. It's a pleasure to watch them develop their style over time, and it's exciting to see the ups and downs of their careers, mirroring what life is. To be completely honest, the past several women's OGM have been thoroughly forgettable and a few of them have been nothing but flashes in the pan. To me, it's been a pain to see OGM who really haven't contributed anything to the sport and are far from memorable. I'm not even a big Michelle Kwan fan, but she gave so much to the sport and it was a joy to watch her skate, to mature and bloom as she did. After watching her and other deserving skaters (like Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko) I've come to realize that the Olympics is but one competition and really doesn't define who becomes a great in the sport. If an A student gets a B on one exam, he/she is still an A student. One test doesn't define a person's life or career.

Jhar55

Medalist
IMO NO Way!!! With all her other accomplishments in skating.
I think it will be very long if ever anyone can come close to her record of National and World gold medals.
Sometimes I think the Olympic Gold is over rated.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I am not a great fan myself, but there are once-every-four-year fans who think she DID win Olympic gold. :biggrin:

janetfan

Match Penalty
^ That's because they think she is Kristi Yamaguchi. ;)

:laugh:

Actually you are not so far off.

A skater's legacy, years after they have retired may differ from their medal count.

There are Gold medals - and there are Golden legacies.

Watching an old fluf about Janet Lynn the other day it was interesting that the announcer ended by saying,"many Americans now remember Janet as a Gold medal winner - when in fact she won the bronze."

Once known as the greatest skater never to win the OGM, Janet still left a Golden legacy in skating.

I think looking into the future, 20 years from now there will be a network Olympic fluf piece made about Michelle that will probably end the same way Janet's did.

Michelle left a Golden legacy and will always be remembered as one of the all-time greats.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Of course not, when you put it that way. But would her legacy and stature be vastly improved if she did have that bit of hardware? Of course! The audience and attention the Olympics gets is on another plane compared to world and national championships. And the three times when the eyes of the world were on her, they saw her fall short. They're going to remember her as the athlete who choked when it counted. No matter how you spin it, it's not a plus for Ms. Kwan's legacy.

R.D.

Record Breaker
of course not, when you put it that way. But would her legacy and stature be vastly improved if she did have that bit of hardware? Of course! The audience and attention the olympics gets is on another plane compared to world and national championships. And the three times when the eyes of the world were on her, they saw her fall short. They're going to remember her as the athlete who choked when it counted. No matter how you spin it, it's not a plus for ms. Kwan's legacy.

ita.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
While it is not a plus for her legacy, there are so many people who think Michelle must have won the OGM that it won't hurt her that much. Michelle's legacy, remember, is not merely her on-ice performances or competitive record, but her off-ice grace. IMO, all skaters are safer because her example eliminates the multi-million dollar incentive to do what is necessary to win the OGM (the motive behind the "great whack") by showing the advantages of graciousness in disappointment.

Layfan

Record Breaker
If she had won the OGM, I wonder if she would have been Michelle Kwan. It might very well be because she never won the Olympics that she stuck around long enough to win nine U.S. championships and five world championship - both U.S. records or tied for a U.S. record.
But you know what? Plenty of skaters stick around for years trying to reach the Olympic podium and never get that kind of track record. (Fumie Suguri, etc.) It's truly breathtaking how long she stayed on top of her sport.
If a young skater decides to retire after winning the Olympics, it's their life I certainly would never blame them. But as a fan, I do hope more stick around longer. If Kim Yuna wins gold in Vancouver it would be awesome if she kept competing afterwards. The sport sorely needs another Michelle Kwan or Katarina Witt.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If she had won the OGM, I wonder if she would have been Michelle Kwan. It might very well be because she never won the Olympics that she stuck around long enough to win nine U.S. championships and five world championship - both U.S. records or tied for a U.S. record.
But you know what? Plenty of skaters stick around for years trying to reach the Olympic podium and never get that kind of track record. (Fumie Suguri, etc.) It's truly breathtaking how long she stayed on top of her sport.
If a young skater decides to retire after winning the Olympics, it's their life I certainly would never blame them. But as a fan, I do hope more stick around longer. If Kim Yuna wins gold in Vancouver it would be awesome if she kept competing afterwards. The sport sorely needs another Michelle Kwan or Katarina Witt.

Alas, due to the insane level of attention she gets while competing, I really do not see her sticking out another cycle...

quikrush

Rinkside
I guess nothing was 'ruined', but yeah, an OGM would have boosted her stature all right. My mother is an Asian who has lived in Asia all her life, she takes no particular interest in figure skating, she has no idea who Michelle Kwan might be, yet she still remembers and cherishes the memory of Oksana Baiul. She refers to Baiul as 'the pretty girl who gave a delightful Swan performance and won the OGM'. (which also goes to show that overused pieces of music do have their merits, especially in an Olympic season) And of course she knows about the great Katarina Witt and her Carmen program as well.

So while to us figure skating fans Michelle is a great skater with or without the OGM, in the eyes of others the OGM does count, I guess.

YN fan

Rinkside
I've always thought Michelle Kwan as Michael Jordan of figure skating. There were a few basketball player who's had more individual achievements than Jordan (Wilt Chamberlin has scored 100points or grabbed more than 40 rebounds in a single game and Bill russell has 11 championship rings which are far more impressive than what Jordan did). but Jordan was an evolution of basketball. People, who weren't basketball fans, started to watch basteball and little kids all around the world started to play hoops because of Jordan. It's unbelievable how much influence Jordan had on people all around the world.

I think Michelle kwan is like that figure in the history of figure skating. I was never a figure skating fan. I'm more of a basketball guy :p . To be honest I've never even heard of those ladies who were in the "Top 10 greatest figure skaters of all time" except Michelle Kwan and Katerina Witt (I was actually shocked to see that Michelle wasn't on the top of the list). You may have all the Olympic gold medals in the world but no skater has had more influence on general public than Michelle IMO.

Oh and here is another proof that Michelle's had so much influence on figure skating world. Just look at the current best lady skater and guess whom she was inspired and motivated by ?? :laugh:

Alas, due to the insane level of attention she gets while competing, I really do not see her sticking out another cycle...

Yeah man, Yuna is probably the only skater who wishes she doesn't become any more famous. Korean media follow her around like tabloids follow Angelina jolie and Brad Pitt. As much as I want to see her skate one more year, I think it's also good for Yuna if she wants to retire after the olympic and try to live a normal life.

I suppose more nonskating fans might know Michelle's name if she had won a gold. But she wouldn't have been a better skater. Look, the only auto racer I know is Helio Castroneves. I have no idea whether he's a big winner or not. But he was on Dancing with the Stars, and he has a great smile. So I'm a fan, and I don't know any of the other racers. I hardly need point out that I'm not the kind of person by whom you should judge Helio's standing in the racing world.

Michelle is known by skating fans around the world and by a lot of non-fans in the U.S. She's admired for her sportsmanship and the quality of her skating. Does she need more than this? I guess we'd have to ask her, if we were so presumptuous. Myself, I gratefully accept what she's given us. I don't see anyone around who's left us with more.

I don't yearn nostagically to re-watch the medal-winning skate of Beatrix Schuba or Annett Poetsch. Or, frankly, even Oksana Baiul. But I'll always remember and cherish the skates of those supposed losers, Michelle Kwan and Janet Lynn. And, of course, Kurt Browning. So my answer to the question posed by this interesting thread is "Not at all!" Her image and legacy are just fine, thank you.