Does the fact that Michelle is without an OGM ruin her image/legacy? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Does the fact that Michelle is without an OGM ruin her image/legacy?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I was joking, I meant that I shocked some of the longstanding kwan fan members that I have voiced so positively the impact in skating Michelle has left. :laugh:

HA! See! I knew that if I kept chipping away, you'd see the light!!

But seriously, Michelle did have a very strong impact on skating and those are accomplishments that go beyond the OGM. But I'm not foolish or selfish enough to think that Michelle would not have had the same impact, if not more, had she won. I also don't believe that MICHELLE might've preferred that gold to several others... the girl is a competitor first, role model second. :bow::bow:

Perhaps but I get the feeling she has moved on. She knows Gold isn't everything.

The ultimate step for her to do this is to show up at the Olys as part of NBC's broadcast team

Toni: Sorry for the doublepost...

I'm not sure if this is the ultimate step but it would be cool to see her and get her perspective on the competition. She had good insight at last year's worlds and provided she can explain CoP to the masses, I'd rather listen to her than to Scotty and his over the top whooping and hollaring...

Last edited by a moderator:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She had good insight at last year's worlds and provided she can explain CoP to the masses, I'd rather listen to her than to Scotty and his over the top whooping and hollaring...

Okay, I love Michelle and all, and yes, I'd much prefer her over Squealy Hamilton, but I don't think Kwan provided much insight-wise or knowledge of COP-wise to the Worlds broadcast last season. All I recall is hearing how amazing Yu-Na Kim is and how Rachael has an advantage because of her 3+3 combination, which didn't come to fruition at that world championship. In fact I don't think any of our American broadcasters do a good job of explaining COP (Paul Wylie comes the closest I think). I think they conclude that the system is just too difficult for the audience to comprehend, so why bother since they can't comprehend it themselves. Hamilton proved during the mens' SLC Olympic broadcast that he couldn't comprehend 6.0 either.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Okay, I love Michelle and all, and yes, I'd much prefer her over Squealy Hamilton, but I don't think Kwan provided much insight-wise or knowledge of COP-wise to the Worlds broadcast last season. All I recall is hearing how amazing Yu-Na Kim is and how Rachael has an advantage because of her 3+3 combination, which didn't come to fruition at that world championship. In fact I don't think any of our American broadcasters do a good job of explaining COP (Paul Wylie comes the closest I think). I think they conclude that the system is just too difficult for the audience to comprehend, so why bother since they can't comprehend it themselves. Hamilton proved during the mens' SLC Olympic broadcast that he couldn't comprehend 6.0 either.

Oh, absolutely... My point was that it would be cool to see her and IF she could explain CoP to the masses - not that she did. And I did enjoy her insight last year but you are 105% right - she did not offer up any analysis...but she didn't scream either...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Toni: Sorry for the doublepost...

I'm not sure if this is the ultimate step but it would be cool to see her and get her perspective on the competition. She had good insight at last year's worlds and provided she can explain CoP to the masses, I'd rather listen to her than to Scotty and his over the top whooping and hollaring...

Good insight?

Vapid at best...

She looked nice though.

But we do need someone to explain Cop. If Kwan can learn it and learn to articulate it in a way that makes it clear to all of us, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd rather someone else...Tara Lipinski actually surprised me during SA and wasn't bad at all. (Yes, I know people here can't stand her but just hold your breath for a sec) plus her speaking voice IMO is better. I'd be interested to see her in an analyst role. Especially since she's an OGM and she pointed out many interesting things about preparation and competition nerves during SA. I was hoping MK would do some of that but she didn't...