Chan To Do Two Quads In His LP At Canadian Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Chan To Do Two Quads In His LP At Canadian Nationals

Nadine

Record Breaker
Addendum: here are some classic Elvis programs that will live on in my memory forever (btw I saw them live on t.v. when they first debuted, not on youtube, et al; ah the joy of getting old, lol): :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSsad7IC2HM (his interpretation of this beautiful & inspiring piece of music was classic, a worthy homage to Bruce Lee, it still brings tears to my eyes, especially the music half way through, then the triumphant ending!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrlKRQUf6_g&feature=related (what a heart of a champion! the step line sequence still makes me want to get up & jump, lol. Nothing e-v-e-r got Elvis down, not injury, not jabs, taunts, et al. He was the man. Truly one-of-a-kind. To this day I don't see anybody else like him, nor do I expect to see for a long long long time, if ever)

Those are only two of my all-time favorite programs, man or woman, for obvious reasons. He had it all, his soul shone through in every nuance of every performance, his honesty, his truth, his commitment to doing it his way. And his mental strength hasn't been matched since. In the most important competitions he NEVER crumbled, he rose to the occasion and never made excuses.

Elvis was a worthy successor to Canada's long line of champions. What a proud history Canada has in mens, I envy them that, I truly do. BRAVO! BRAVO! :thumbsup:

BRaZILIANSKaTER

Rinkside
No please. Elvis accomplished what he accomplished in his time. But skating has moved on to so much more than just big jumps. The emphasis changes like the pendulum's swings but the all round skaters have always been the greatest and most admired in any era.

You know, saying that figure skating has "moved on to so much more than just big jumps" isn´t really the truth in two ways: 1 - hundreds of skater BEFORE Elvis time were great artists (and you can find some of the best artists in Canada like Toller Cranston and Brian Orser, and even Elvis predecessor, Kurt Browning) so at least you had to say that FS has returned "to much more than just big jumps" 2 - Also many of these great artits of the past (if not to mention almost EVERY skater previous to the Quad Era) were always pursuiting more dificult jumps, many of them relly pushing the envelope, guys like Scott Hamilton, Orser, Boitano, Kurt, Petrenko. These guys always been wonderful artists and fierce athletes, combining the two strongest aspects of FS.
So my point is, the development of dificult jumps is not only a caprice of some skaters, it is one of FS essential elements. They bring adrenaline and excitement to amateur FS competitions. If you privileges the artitstic aspect of figure skating watch more Pro Championships, in which jumps are less important than presentation.
IMHO amateur FS, before anything else, a sport, and then is an art. If we valorize more presentation insted of athleticism how will should change the name of FS to Dance on Ice, and the Championships to Contests.

herios

Medalist
You know, saying that figure skating has "moved on to so much more than just big jumps" isn´t really the truth in two ways: 1 - hundreds of skater BEFORE Elvis time were great artists (and you can find some of the best artists in Canada like Toller Cranston and Brian Orser, and even Elvis predecessor, Kurt Browning) so at least you had to say that FS has returned "to much more than just big jumps" 2 - Also many of these great artits of the past (if not to mention almost EVERY skater previous to the Quad Era) were always pursuiting more dificult jumps, many of them relly pushing the envelope, guys like Scott Hamilton, Orser, Boitano, Kurt, Petrenko. These guys always been wonderful artists and fierce athletes, combining the two strongest aspects of FS.
So my point is, the development of dificult jumps is not only a caprice of some skaters, it is one of FS essential elements. They bring adrenaline and excitement to amateur FS competitions. If you privileges the artitstic aspect of figure skating watch more Pro Championships, in which jumps are less important than presentation.
IMHO amateur FS, before anything else, a sport, and then is an art. If we valorize more presentation insted of athleticism how will should change the name of FS to Dance on Ice, and the Championships to Contests.

Well, I agree with Skatefiguring and not you. That is because the current system is rewarding within the technical aspect of the skating things like spins and footwork wimilarly like they always did the jumps. Those are still technical elements which in Elvis era were unrewarded. That was wrong imo.
And let's not talk about "dance on ice", because ice dancing is actually very difficult to master, many of the casual skating fans do not understand it and consider it boring. the way you are expressing yourself, you might be one of them.
So, yes, skating has moved on in the right direction. Today you have to do a lot more well than just skate from one jump to another and nail them, and throw in a few spins and just do them without worrying about how you do them.

BRaZILIANSKaTER

Rinkside
Well, I agree with Skatefiguring and not you. That is because the current system is rewarding within the technical aspect of the skating things like spins and footwork wimilarly like they always did the jumps. Those are still technical elements which in Elvis era were unrewarded. That was wrong imo.
And let's not talk about "dance on ice", because ice dancing is actually very difficult to master, many of the casual skating fans do not understand it and consider it boring. the way you are expressing yourself, you might be one of them.
So, yes, skating has moved on in the right direction. Today you have to do a lot more well than just skate from one jump to another and nail them, and throw in a few spins and just do them without worrying about how you do them.

Hi! Thank you for your reply, and you wrote a very truthful thing. Today judging is rewarding spin and footwork much better, as they should have always been rewarded.
In my previous reply when I wrote about presentation aspect I wasn´t talking about footwork/spins but about interpretation/presentation. And what I ment was that I really enjoy the artistic side of FS, but I woudn´t like to see it more valorized than the technical aspect (also because presentation marks are a little subjective, allowing some very personal taste judging).
So I enjoy wacthing programs that are artistcally entretaining but also technically challenging.
About Ice dancing, it has nothing to do with the presentation aspect of FS I talked about. We have to distinguish it from FS. Even ISU distinguishes it in its web site when they write Single & Pair Skating / Ice Dance in the "artistic skating" window.
I´m a FSkater myself and i know Icedance moves are VERY difficult, even more than jumps to tell the truth and I really valorize the work of Ice dancers, not as "presentation" only but as true difficult technical content.
Sorry if I sounded a little stupid before. I´m not a casual skating fan. Instead I´m a FSkater in Brazil, one of the worse countries to choose FS as a sport, and I´m just passionate for FS. And for jumps hehe... I´m a guy anyway.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
BR@ZILIANSK@TER , I appreciate what you said very much and agree with much of it. Instead of restating my opinion, I'd ask you to please read what I said a month ago in this forum. Actually the whole thread is very interesting.

It's no use comparing athletes of different eras, especially as time goes by and the standard gap grows. The great ones are recognized as great by the standard of their times and that should be respected. Put a talent like Patrick Chan in the 50's for example, he would likely be one of the great skaters of the time but he couldn't possibly be doing what today's Patrick Chan is doing. Put the great ones from earlier times in today's field, they would likely be today's greats and leading the field in SS and jumps.

There were great programs from the so called Boom Years just as there were from before that because there have always been, and will always be, great performers who touch you regardless of their skills. They know how to sell their programs. Yag's great toe pick footwork for example, thoroughly amazing and enjoyable as he really sold it, but it would be level 1 in today's competitons. There will always be great entertainers in figure skating but as a sport, it gets pushed like all sports are.

It's also pointless comparing today's Chan with yesterday's Plush or Yag because Chan is still in progress, for himself and as part of the new wave of the sport. He too is being pushed by his peers as well as younger ones even as of his age and as a work in progress.

It's still Boom Time for figure skating, just not in the U.S.

and

What about Lu Chen? There were some programs of hers with very questionable skills, such as spinning. But the beauty and emotions she brought into her skating? Unparalleled. She brought tears to my eyes and many others', even to this day.

Another female skater I miss is Oksana B. As beautiful and technically superior today's top Ladies are, I don't find any as memorable as Lulu and Oksana.

For Men, there was, and is, Kurt Browning, still finding ways to challenge himself these days. What a showman, with the greatest, and still hard to match, technical skills of his time to boot.

Yup. Talk about selling programs. Even competitive ones.

I don't think jumping is what makes the best loved programs. There have always been many fans who find stalk and jump programs really boring and they long for good skating and interesting choreography. All round skaters are the most enjoyed, admired, and remembered ones.

Obviously I haven't changed my view. (Please note there are existent and required differences between competitive programs and those without restraints.) What I would add here is that without the great ones from before, there would not be the great ones of today, who, in turn, will inspire the next generation and leave them standards and records to challenge.

Last edited:

BRaZILIANSKaTER

Rinkside
Skate Figuring

I love Lu Chen's programs, in fact I started skating ih 1995, when she won the WC and as a beginning skater I just loved to watch her. Oksana was great too.

Just to make it clear that I like the artistic/entertaining side of FS I woulg like post here some of the greatest programs/exibition I ever watched (thank´s to YouTube!!!)

Robin Cousins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekcXxRbWQQE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpGOA3l57TY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21pvHxrINtI&feature=related

Scott Hamilton:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPtbTWK8Vbg

Brian Orser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7nm4SohyE0&feature=related

Nadine

Record Breaker
You don't have to apologize for loving the athleticism of this *sport* nor its artistry, BRAZILIANSKATER, all opinions are valid! :thumbsup: I understand totally. :cool:

And all the solipsism in the world will never make me believe that the 6.0 system was somehow inferior to today's COP. No way, I've lived through and watched both, and there was nothing wrong with the 6.0 system. The COP came about not due to anything wrong with 6.0, it was in response to the scandal of 2002. The judges are what is wrong with this sport, not the system. And the COP hides their identity now, whereas in the past it wasn't so. Obfuscation does not fool me.

Anyhow, I've come to accept COP, it's here to stay, deal with it. But it's obvious even to a layman that there are things wrong with it, as with any new system, and the kinks get worked out every season. It still has a looooooooong way to go though, probably another 10 or 20 years imho. Even then there will probably be improvements every 20 or 30 years. I say this from watching past history.

For now, I will continue to enjoy watching the skaters, and whomever the COP picks as the winner, even though I may not always agree. ;)

My hope is that COP continues to improve with feedback from the skaters, coaches, judges, fans and public, so there will come a day that it resembles 6.0, including knowing which judges gave which marks.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Off topic, but Nadine your custom titled creeps me out a little:laugh: Nothing wrong with it, but it is first time i noticed it and realized the 2/ 3 of your immortals are long dead and somehow ... it just clicked me wrong:eek:

So as a new fan I belonged in the quad era? it sounds cool¸ i was never part of an era! :biggrin:

Canadian men sp is tomorrow?

Nadine

Record Breaker
Off topic, but Nadine your custom titled creeps me out a little:laugh: Nothing wrong with it, but it is first time i noticed it and realized the 2/ 3 of your immortals are long dead and somehow ... it just clicked me wrong

So as a new fan I belonged in the quad era? it sounds cool¸ i was never part of an era!

Canadian men sp is tomorrow?

I'm glad you noticed my avatar/custom title, seniorita. :) I added the avatar in honor of Zhenya after Rostelecom Cup, and then added the custom title as soon as he won the 2010 Olympic Silver Medal, which then made him an immortal in my eyes, as he, Gillis, and Sonja are the only single skaters to have medalled in three Olympiads! :thumbsup:

And, yes, the Canadian Mens SP starts tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party: :party2:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont know why I noticed your custom title almost a year later, didnt you have another one? anyway it is cool now but I knocked wood on all the furniture of my house when I saw it:laugh:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well Kevin Reynolds crumbled in the SP, something Elvis Stojko would never do. And as a fan I'm starting to realize that watching Kevin over the next millenium, et al, is going to be like watching Sasha (btw I feeeel for you Sasha Cohen fans). When he's on he's simply magnificent, but when he's off he's totally off and bombs 210%! :eek:

Thank God there is Zhenya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

herios

Medalist
Well Kevin Reynolds crumbled in the SP, something Elvis Stojko would never do. And as a fan I'm starting to realize that watching Kevin over the next millenium, et al, is going to be like watching Sasha (btw I feeeel for you Sasha Cohen fans). When he's on he's simply magnificent, but when he's off he's totally off and bombs 210%! :eek:

Thank God there is Zhenya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Have you watched 1996 Worlds? Elvis did crumble on home ice, as the defending world champion in his SP, failing on his 3a.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Wow. 285. Haven't watched his performance yet. Was he really that good? And did he land the two quads?