Nathan Chen | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

Johnet

Rinkside
Nathan didn't make any quad attempt in the competition, and he doesn't seem to have the plan in near future. He fell on a 3loop. However, he does want to add a 3A to his program this season. (According to the report on icenetwork)

But another youngster, 13 yr old Emmanuel Savary, made a 4S attempt and fell. So I think chuckm might just got confused.

MasterB

Final Flight
Just saw him skate the LP last night and he was awesome. Landed triple lutz-triple toe combo and everything else. His triple loop combo was the only shaky element in the routine. The one thing he has over everybody else besides his jumps is his amazing ability to jam-pack his program with a billions turns, step, counters, loops, rockers, brackets etc., He hardly ever does more than three crossovers into anything. It's going to be great watching this kid develop into something special.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Nathan didn't make any quad attempt in the competition, and he doesn't seem to have the plan in near future. He fell on a 3loop. However, he does want to add a 3A to his program this season. (According to the report on icenetwork)

But another youngster, 13 yr old Emmanuel Savary, made a 4S attempt and fell. So I think chuckm might just got confused.

Savary has a 4s :eek: ?! Wow, kids these days...

mskater93

Record Breaker

Chen said he's working on his 3/3s for now and taking the 3A slowly.

Savary - a 4S that sounds like it was clean but fallen on at 13 is quite incredible. I don't care whether he is jam packing his programs or not....

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I found a video of Yesterday's liberty competition, Nathan skated clean again, landing 2A, 3F+3T, 3L. Huge 3F+3T, very impressive. The entrance of 2A takes a lot longer than he usually does, so I wonder if he's considering doing a 3A some time this season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrKSzJmeBIQ

But personally I don't like the choreography of this Wall-E SP as much as his previous two short programs. (Kung Fu Panda and Rawhide)

How can a choreographer make a program to Wall-E and only use a tiny section of the best part of the score - "Define Dancing"? http://youtu.be/2lkffSsImXc

The mood of this program gets ruined when it jarringly shifts back to the generic action music.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Chen said he's working on his 3/3s for now and taking the 3A slowly.

Savary - a 4S that sounds like it was clean but fallen on at 13 is quite incredible. I don't care whether he is jam packing his programs or not....

Savary's 4S I thought was marked <<, but even attempting that at age 13 is mind-boggling, I had already heard some stories about his incredible jumping but this is amazing!

feraina

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen's Liberty FS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdAeYDrWRHU
What fall?! Slightly wonky landing to the 3R, wonkier 2T, and wonkier still 2R. But definitely no fall, and really high quality skating overall!

This kid is a total rock star! :rock: He improves so fast. That first 2A has a really long set-up, I think they probably plan to upgrade it to a 3A later. I can't wait to see him and Jason Brown in Glacier Falls in a few weeks. My two favorite up-and-coming male skaters. :love:

Last edited:

Johnet

Rinkside
This is from the Final. Liberty's junior men game has three parts, SP, LP, and LP final. Only top 10 in LP are invited to LP final. Nathan did fall on 3loop+2+2 combination in the LP, according to the icenetwork essay, in which his coach also explains that the entrance part should be adjust very soon. However in the LP Final, he skated clean.

Thanks for the posting! Wow that's great, even more so considering this is only the 6 or 7 run through of this program! And first time seeing Nathan's Biellman spin!

I agree with the 2A/3A part. I think Nathan's really good at the Axel jump. For the past two seasons he's been doing all these difficult entrance/variations on the 2A. It's really good that he's taking the 3A slowly, but I do think it wouldn't be too hard for him. Can't wait for the nationals!

Last edited: