Hicks aims for the top | Golden Skate

Hicks aims for the top

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just one month after her 15th birthday, California native Courtney Hicks captured the 2011 U.S. junior ladies title in Greensboro, N.C., in stunning fashion. With the highest score ever recorded at the U.S. Championships in her division, Hicks wowed the audience with her super-sized jumps that are a site to behold.

More

christinaskater

Medalist
She looks like a champion to me!

Incredible lines, and that incredible spins she does is simply mind boggling! She is fearless- she attempts the quadruple salchow and triple-triple combinations! Exquisite!

R.D.

Record Breaker
There's definitely potential in there. But, as I've said time and time again for these young talents...it is still VERY early, and it remains to be seen how she'll handle a) transitioning to seniors and b) growing up. I've seen too many come and go.

Last edited:

Binthere

On the Ice
Didn't know about her Russian heritage. Another way that she is similar to her "Mr Nicks predecesor" Sasha Cohen!

Wish somebody would do an extended video interview with Mr. Nicks sooner rather than later. He must have Sooooo many hilarious (and biting) stories to recount. I'll bring a great bottle of wine, someone unflinching yet gracious do the interview, and we can sit around for an unforgettable time, no doubt about it.

christinaskater

Medalist
There's definitely potential in there. But, as I've said time and time again for these young talents...it is still VERY early, and it remains to be seen how she'll handle a) transitioning to seniors and b) growing up. I've seen too many come and go.

Too many times- so many precious skaters- Caroline Zhang, Yukina Ota, Naomi Nari Nam, Beatrisa Liang, Kimmie Meissner even (but she accomplished so much)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think the showdown between Courtney, Vanessa, and Risa Shoji of Japan at the JGP Australia this week will be very exciting! I'd be surprised if those three weren't the three medalists at the event, but I'm curious to see in what order!

christinaskater

Medalist
6th on her International debut on the World Junior Championships! OMG! She was amazing! Had she competed on the international circuit she could have won the whole thing in my opinion.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
6th on her International debut on the World Junior Championships! OMG! She was amazing! Had she competed on the international circuit she could have won the whole thing in my opinion.

Her lines and skating skills aren't as good as Sotnikova's.

DianaSelene

Medalist

I agree. So far, I haven't seen much in Courtney Hicks that makes me want to watch her. I'm pretty skeptical about this girl. Her programs this year are not very good and I think her moves are quite choppy.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I agree. So far, I haven't seen much in Courtney Hicks that makes me want to watch her. I'm pretty skeptical about this girl. Her programs this year are not very good and I think her moves are quite choppy.
ITA. And I don't think she is going the right direction to be honest. She needs to improve her skating skills, lines and posture, right now her presentation leave much to be desired, but she is trying crazy tricks like 4S instead... She has big jumps and a cool combination spin, but she still has a long way to go

krenseby

Final Flight

Aha, a Sotnikova fan ;-) She hasn't yet debuted at her first senior GP and yet she gets to set the standard for young and upcoming skaters. She certainly would be happy to know that she inspires so much admiration.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Aha, a Sotnikova fan ;-) She hasn't yet debuted at her first senior GP and yet she gets to set the standard for young and upcoming skaters. She certainly would be happy to know that she inspires so much admiration.

There is a good reason why she sets the standard for young and upcoming skaters... She's good. What bekalc said is just true. Hicks's lines can't be compared to Sotnikova's. Is she talented? Perhaps. But I still doubt that if Courtney Hicks appeared at the beginning of the season at JGP, that she would win worlds.

krenseby

Final Flight
There is a good reason why she sets the standard for young and upcoming skaters... She's good.

How does Sotnikova compare to Nagasu? A lot of people think Nagasu's skating is at a very high level, does Sotnikova match and surpass her?

DianaSelene

Medalist
How does Sotnikova compare to Nagasu? A lot of people think Nagasu's skating is at a very high level, does Sotnikova match and surpass her?

No. I never compared her to Nagasu and I am not going to. Nagasu has amazing fluidity and arm movements. I never said Sotnikova is the best, she is just really good. A lot better than others in her age group, which is why she won worlds. It's like you're asking me to compare Savchenko/Szolkowy and Iliushechkina/Maisuradze. They are not on the same level because S/S are more experienced, won more competitions, and have skated together for a longer time. But that does not mean I/M are not good skaters.

My point was that Sotnikova is better than Hicks, not that she's better than Nagasu. She has nice lines and good skating and because she won every international competition in 2010-2011, people have high hopes for her. This does not mean she would automatically win every senior competition, but the audience is waiting for her to skate well.

bekalc

Record Breaker

I was replying to a person who said that Courtney would have won Junior Worlds last year if Courtney had competed in the JGPF. Who won Junior Worlds last year, Adelina. And so its a perfectly fair to point out that Courtney isn't a better skater than the girl who won.

What Mirai has to do with it I don't know. Mirai's been an age eligible Senior for three years. Adelina isn't even age eligible. I wouldn't consider Mirai an "up and coming skater" Right now Mirai is a very talented Senior who hasn't lived up to her promise.

And as Adelina is the reigning Junior World Champion, she absolutely IS the standard for up and coming skaters. And at very least was the one for the girls last year. (Which one again, isn't the category Mirai is in)

Last edited: