Lysacek out of Grand Prix; at odds with USFS | Golden Skate

Lysacek out of Grand Prix; at odds with USFS

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Not surprising. His interview with Hirsh a few weeks back made it pretty clear nationals would be the earliest he'd be willing to skate.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I bet it's due to the fact that they used his likeness and he wasn't getting compensated like his agent thought lol seems weird that it's over $$ when just a few weeks ago it was "I don't want to disappoint."

jcoates

Medalist
None of this is a shock. USFSA could have been using D/W as exclusive headliners all along since they knew they would be there, but defaulted to Evan to trump them because their natural inclination is to support singles over dance or pairs. Now they have egg on their faces. Evan doesn't need them or this event so much as USFSA needs him. He's also notoriously meticulous about training. I would have been really surprised if he had competed this fall with so little time between his announcement about training and now.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
...makes the World go round, makes the World go round.

true, still it's weird in an individual competitive sport that $$ before hand is the reason for someone not to show up... weird as in that you don't hear about it, not that someone wants more of it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Evan Lysacek's statement:

I regret to inform that I am withdrawing from the 2011 Grand Prix Series. I am extremely trained and eager to compete at Skate America, but a suitable agreement could not be reached between US Figure Skating and myself by the event entry deadline. I'm extremely disappointed in this turn of events, but I hope to be back on competitive ice this season.

enlight78

Medalist
This is hilarious and sad at the same time. I would have thought Evan would have competed just to toot his own horn, but the money! I thought USFA stop paying athletes to do Skate America when espn let us go and the money wasn't coming in. I remember when Evan was talking how he conducting himself in a way to push the sport to become more popular and now he finally has the power to do so and there's a money issue.

Also wish they would have picked Keagan Messing too. Makes me think twice about why sasha cohen really didn't do any grand prix events. Also wouldn't it be cheaper to increase the prize money as an incentive than it would be to pay individual skater to come to an event.

lavender

Record Breaker
I thought that he just wanted to skate and get back into just training. I'm surprise it's over money. I wonder what kind of money he was expecting. It also doesn't seem like his goal is Sochi exactly...:unsure:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Well, many have thought that Evan won't really be competing at SA. But who'd have thought that it was about the money?! So much so that USFSA would be willing to give up and let him go... At least this reason is ...refreshing.:laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
He hasn't explained the situation honestly. Loved to compete but couldn't come to a "suitable" agreement in time. Sorry. Too bad.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think the only reason this came up is he found out just how much he was worth to the USFSA. They used him to promote an event, so obviously they think he's bankable. Sounds like he and/or his agent thought they could make a few extra bucks... but the USFSA said no. So Evan pulled out. I don't agree with ANY athlete in any sport withdrawing from an event over money. But football, baseball, all of the sports have it - just not normally the olympic sports.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So why does he say he wants to come back, and even come back for Sochi?:think:

I don't think pulling out of an event over money means he doesn't want to go forward. I guess I'm confused to your question.