Adelina Sotnikova | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova

Mao88

Record Breaker
I thought Adelina Sotnikova made a very promising start in the Cup of China despite the mistakes on some of her jumps and that she will be able to build on that performance.

Furthermore, it appears as though she suffered a leg injury a couple of months ago due to over training and that she consequently spent about a month off the ice (apparently, around September):-

http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/16761/

http://www.goldenskate.com/2011/11/kostner-edges-out-nagasu-for-lead-at-cup-of-china/

Adelina is a beautiful skater and I'm sure she will show what she can do very soon. Her coach said Adelina was off ice for a mounth due to injury, so it's understandable she is not in her best shape yet. Fingers crossed, she still has a chance to qualify to the final

This explains why Sotnikova had such a late start to the season and struggled at both the Russian Cup (3rd round) and the Cup of China. Nevertheless, with a few more weeks training under her belt, she can still win her next grand prix event and qualify for the final.

The news of her injury at least puts her slow start to the season into perspective. Anybody who misses around a months training close to the start of the season is going to suffer. Nevertheless, despite the jumping mistakes at the Cup of China, she did enough to show that she has a huge amount of talent and potential.

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I see her as a mature skater.She is very impressive.It's a good thing that she still can do her combos..I really want her to win, but if she takes for example 2 or 3 place, can she qualify?

DianaSelene

Medalist
I see her as a mature skater.She is very impressive.It's a good thing that she still can do her combos..I really want her to win, but if she takes for example 2 or 3 place, can she qualify?

If she gets second, she has a chance of qualifying. If third, I doubt it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She is incredible. I think if she skates clean she win get higher PCS, inexperienced skaters really get punished there when they make mistakes. She's my favorite of the young Russians!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I LOVE HER! Really, did anyone watch her exhibition skate on youtube? She is fabulous, a prima ballerina on skates. I like her even more than Liza as she does not have those annoying hand movements. Amazing Russian teenagers!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even though less then a year separates Liza and Adelina the different in maturity is staggering. Liza is still such a Junior looking skater and Adelina looks much more elegant and belongs with the likes of Mao and Alissa. Once she gets her jumps back watch out.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Even though less then a year separates Liza and Adelina the different in maturity is staggering. Liza is still such a Junior looking skater and Adelina looks much more elegant and belongs with the likes of Mao and Alissa. Once she gets her jumps back watch out.

We get it, you don't like Liza, but stop bringing her up every single thread! This is about Adelina.
Her exhibition is wonderful. I hope her coaches teach her how to bring that fierceness into her competitive programs. She needs to change her SP costume IMO. It makes her look sluggish, which is a shame because I remember last year when I saw her SP on the JGP I thought "She is flying across the ice". She looked gorgeous in the LP though

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I only watched her LP, but I was very much reminded of Alissa.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Cup of China Ladies Review :biggrin:

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/2011/11/cup-of-china-ladies-review.html

I'll post it in the other thread too, but I just wanted to agree that I am very proud of Adelina. I think the expectation on her was pretty big coming in, especially because she was undefeated last season. Undoubtedly that was in the back of her mind and it got to her a bit. I'm actually glad she didn't win...that's just too much pressure to put on yourself to win every single thing you enter. To medal at a first event, any color, is a big accomplishment for a new senior.

I hope she continues to develop her style and finds a good choreographer to utilitze her gorgeous lines and extensions. She's still my favorite of the two new Russians. I love Liza's spunk and energy, but I'm a bigger fan of Adelina's style and potential. ;)

Binthere

On the Ice
The set up for her this competition seemed particularly challenging given how ET managed her win in Canada. Stronger overall skating skills and a more complete sense of presentation put her in very good position I should think, to have in her own way, an equally impressive senior debut season.

jatale

On the Ice
I really liked Adelina's programs and I actually thought her SP costume was quite nice - a welcome departure from the standard tiny skirt dresses that almost all ladies wear these days. I hope Adelina's creativity in her costumes and skating keeps getting better, she is a pretty girl too. I expect that she will be the "Queen of the Russian Skaters" in the coming years (with Liza in close pursuit).

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
She was better than on her test-skates..By the way, I think there will be some rivalry between Liza and Adele for real.They are not good friends or smth as smb writes.They are veryyy different.Liza is snobbier.Adele is more down to earth

seniorita

Record Breaker
I ve seen quite few times both of them sitting down on ice together, if I find any I ll post it. But i dont know how they would be friends, they live in different cities.

cassiem

On the Ice
Liza is snobbier? What is that claim based on? Are you sure you're not mistaking shyness for arrogance? Some people have assumed I'm snobby when I'm anything but.

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She was better than on her test-skates..By the way, I think there will be some rivalry between Liza and Adele for real.They are not good friends or smth as smb writes.They are veryyy different.Liza is snobbier.Adele is more down to earth

I am down to earth, but I have snobby friends. I could see them not being so friendly in the future as the competition between them intensifies.

prettykeys

Medalist
^ :laugh:

Liza doesn't seem snobby to me. She always seems to have an impish little smile on her face. I can't imagine someone who smiles so much being snobby.

doubleflutz

On the Ice
Liza doesn't seem snobby to me. She always seems to have an impish little smile on her face. I can't imagine someone who smiles so much being snobby.

I agree. I've seen pictures of her braiding the hair of other girls who do Mishin's summer camp. Apparently, she's quite good at it, so she gets asked to do it a lot. She also seems quite friendly with Artur G. and a lot of the kids from the camp. I'm not buying the "snobby" argument. If anything, she seems like a bit of social butterfly.