Volosozhar/Trankov or Savchenko/Szolkovy? Whom do you prefer and why? | Golden Skate

Volosozhar/Trankov or Savchenko/Szolkovy? Whom do you prefer and why?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I love their rivalry - it's good for fans,for f/skating itself.As for me, I prefer V/T 'cause their style is сloser to me

gottadance

On the Ice
me too!

I love their rivalry - it's good for fans,for f/skating itself.As for me, I prefer V/T 'cause their style is сloser to me

I also much prefer V/T - their lines ( especially hers ) are much more aesthetically pleasing and their musical interpretation is better. I really thought they got ripped off in the Free Skate?!

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
At this rate, it could be a Russian sweep in two out of four disciplines (ladies' and pairs') at the next Olys. Certainly not ice dance or men's!

I prefer S/S, although I do recognize the beauty of V/T's lines.

skateflower

Match Penalty
At this rate, it could be a Russian sweep in two out of four disciplines (ladies' and pairs') at the next Olys. Certainly not ice dance or men's!

I prefer S/S, although I do recognize the beauty of V/T's lines.

Don't bet your house yet. S/S are much better. V/T are more consistent with non-existing choreography.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Musical interpretation is always going to be subjective. Often one skater or team will be clearly superior to another there, but other times it comes down to personal preference. I think this is one of the latter. I prefer S/S's free skate. It's different, and while different isn't always better I think they're really making it work. I'm not that wild about either of their short programs. Actually, I can't think of one pairs SP that's really grabbed me this season.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Both are fantastic teams, but I feel that V/T are slightly better element for element and in overall line, execution and edge quality. S/S have far better programs, however, are the better performers at this point.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Copying this over from the Grand Prix thread . . .

Do others agree with this comment--that element for element, V/T is the better pair?

I agree V/T have the best split triple twist (that seems widely acknowledged). I'd give them the edge in lifts too. I love Savchenko/Szolkowy's lifts, but V/T's lifts have a great effortless quality to them, as well as lovely positions on her part. Also I think V/T get better ice coverage on lifts than S/S. In terms of side-by-side jumps, I think S/S have the edge. Certainly their jump layout is tougher, with the back-to-back SBS triple toes. I think the Gerrmans' spins are better as well. Also I'd probably give them the edge in footwork and transitions. I haven't seen the two teams live, so I can't really evaluate their relative speed on the ice. The Germans look slower on TV, but then again, their choreography is much more difficult and complex, which tends to slow things a bit.

Personally I prefer S/S because their choreography and programs are so much more innovative and creative. I like V/T a lot also and totally respect their technical skills, but to me their programs are prosaic and ordinary. They really need to raise the level of their choreography and costumes. If they do, they may become very tough to beat! I'm sure that's why S/S are trying to up the ante technically with the throw triple Axel.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I also much prefer V/T - their lines ( especially hers ) are much more aesthetically pleasing and their musical interpretation is better. I really thought they got ripped off in the Free Skate?!

She 2footed the throw 3S, he messed up the last spin. S/S deserved to win the Free Skate in my opinion.
After watching V/T's LP for several times, I found many little things that I like, but it's a bit empty in the second half, and they lose some speed. My favorite part is after she lands the enormous throw 3L she gets into a spread eagle position right on the beat of the music.Gorgeous. I would like to see her land the 3S cleanly, she seems to have a problem with it because it's not the first time. Maybe it's time to replace it with a 3F and outscore everyone on base value. He seems to have a little stamina issue though(no wonder with his injury) and I hate all the posing and arm flailing(they over do it a bit). While the beginning instantly commands your attention(speed, attack, huge elements), the ending is a bit disappointing.(it feels like they drag each other to finish the program and every time their last spin almost gets to a stop). S/S on the other hand manage to keep the same speed and command until the last moment of the program. At this point, S/S have more polished and difficult programs but on the long term I put my money on V/T, as the judges see something I am not able to see at the moment. Potential? Yes, huge actually, big elements, tricks and so on. Their programs are not doing them justice IMO. And giving them scores like that, they have no need to improve on transitions and choreography.

Last edited:

daphna

On the Ice
i'm in love with V&T. their charisma is very rare on the ice. i want them to win olympics in 2014. they are so damn hot, on and off the ice!

I prefer V/T because they're so classic yet so young and hip. I like the stylishness of both their programs this year. S/S seem more inconsistent as well as perhaps starting to decline at this point. Aliona often has weird hair and makeup that detract from their look.

Nevertheless, S/S have a killer FP this year and they nailed it at the GPF so I was delighted that they won... by a hair.

ETA: S/S's exhibition this year is exquisite! Anyone thinks they are only iconoclasts and can't be beautiful and romantic, please go watch it!

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
I enjoy both and it's great to see a nice new rivalry at the top. I do however prefer S&S. They always try to bring something different to their programs, such as new moves or choreography. They really change up their music choices too, from programs like Out of Africa to The Pink Panther. Versatility is one of my favourite things in a skater or team. I also think this year's FD in particular is wonderful.

V&T haven't really been around long enough to demonstrate much versatility. Thus far, I find their choreography beautiful but predictable. They do have better twists, but I like S&S's throws better and jumps better.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
V/T by a mile. big tricks for S/S but there is not much style, grace,elegance. Aliona is an athlete-many fugly positions with the top couple. Look for VT to pull ahead by Sochi. I hope.

Redstone

Rinkside
I'm not sure atht this pairs can be honestly compared yetr. I think it'd be easier when both of the reture and it's possible to compare their carees in whole.
I love S/S and they have wonderfull LP this season but for now I prefer V/T. For the power and command they have on the ice and for the connection between the partners. Unfortunately this season S/S lack this kind of bond between Aliona and Robin. It's like Aliona is determined to continue and Robin doesn't care anymore. So in this department Tanya and Max make a more likeable impression. Also there's is this huge twist, elegant lines (when Max shoulder is not hurt) and I feel that their sbs spins are also better

StellaCampo

On the Ice
I like both teams, but in terms of potential, I think V/T will overtake S/S in the very near future. Already, V/T surpass S/S in: twists (height & look), throws (V/T have both height & distance, S/S little distance), jumps (V/T more consistent), and generally better line. V/T's achievement so far is 'despite' the choreography, so they can only improve.
That said, I have more sympathy for S/S. Their spirit of experiment. Also the fact that, when S/S teamed up, they didn't know how far they could go; it was a gamble for both of them. V/T, on the other hand, is more of a business deal with ample due diligence, with a lot of official help in terms of relocation etc.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Today, S/S....V/T are growing on me though. At the GPF though, I liked K/S. The one thing that bothers me, and it's shallow - I know, is that Aleona's tights NEVER match her skin-tone, not even close. They're too tan for her even though it appears she's cut back on the self-tanner. I do however, like her LP dress and would love to see her skate in white boots. Very conservative for her and I like it (as apposed to Koster's silver bodysuit that has me thinking I should get out my fishing pool and try and land a silver salmon).

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I like both teams, but in terms of potential, I think V/T will overtake S/S in the very near future. Already, V/T surpass S/S in: twists (height & look), throws (V/T have both height & distance, S/S little distance), jumps (V/T more consistent), and generally better line. V/T's achievement so far is 'despite' the choreography, so they can only improve.
That said, I have more sympathy for S/S. Their spirit of experiment. Also the fact that, when S/S teamed up, they didn't know how far they could go; it was a gamble for both of them. V/T, on the other hand, is more of a business deal with ample due diligence, with a lot of official help in terms of relocation etc.

S/S throw 3F is the best out there, both height and distance. They even tried throw 4F in practice

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I prefer S/S at this point. They are always evolving! I would like to see what S/S would look like if they tried Morozov's choreography.

lcd

Match Penalty
I really admire S/S's efforts to continue broadening both their choreographic range and their technical skills. While they seem to be backing off of plans to incorporate the throw triple axel, it is still quite impressive given an otherwise clean program full of difficult transitions and less familiar music is as physically demanding, but in other ways, I would assume.

V/T being injured in so many ways is probably a "normal" for athletes at this caliber, but does make me wonder what an injury free V/T could deliver.

Ironically, I could imagine a partner switch as being my own version of an ideal. Of the men, I prefer the size, lines and posture of T and the just slightly more feminine (maybe wrong or poorly chosen word) or is it airy delicate quality of S.

sillylionlove

Medalist
This is a hard one to choose from. It's even harder becuase Tatiana and Aliona look so much alike. If it wasn't for their partners looking so opposite, I would get them confused. LOL

snejina

Rinkside
I like both teams but S/S are my favorite - I'm impressed with their artistry, innovative choreography, I could watch and watch their performances many times with great pleasure; V/T have brilliant technique but not the artistry and intricacy of choreography of S/S. I am not sure I will remember any of V/T's routines in 10 years' time but will never forget the Pina of S/S, Pink Panther, Out of Africa, Send in the Clowns, Shindler's List, Circque de Soleil, Mission! Fantastic skaters on Ingo Steuer's great choreography!