How long do boots last for adults, and other inquiries | Golden Skate

How long do boots last for adults, and other inquiries

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hello all, would appreciate some insight into a few concerns that are weighing on my mind.
I'm an adult skater (approx 130-135 lbs) currently in Risport RF3 boots with CA blades. I've had these since June 2023, although didn't really skate more than 1-2 hrs/week in the summer due to club scheduling (mostly summer camps). Since September, I've been skating between 4-6 hrs/week and working on single jumps up to axel (have started drills etc, jumping it in the harness, but not unassisted yet until I can prove I can do it safely lol). The boots are working fine for me right now, and other than a little heel slippage/loose ankle that I mitigate with a gel sleeve, I'm pretty happy. (I think I would have done better in a rapid custom Jackson boot due to my weird feet, but my only option of a fitter at the time was when I was on vacation on the other side of the world, so I had to go with what they had in stock).

BUT I'm also a worrier, and I'm someone who plans for the future because I hate scrambling at the last minute.

This summer I'll be moving to a city where the closest fitter I could get to is about a 3 hour plane ride away. I'll be there for at least a year, and after that I have no idea where I'll be moving. So there's a bunch of things sort of swirling around my brain:

1. How long will these boots last me? Will they last another 1.5 years, at least until I move away from that city, hopefully to somewhere with a fitter (or somewhere closer than a plane ride away)?

2. If they break down, how do I figure out an optimal way to get fitted, including if semi-custom boots are needed? My best option would probably be to get fitted in the city where my parents live, since I could maybe visit twice a year if I'm able to get vacation time. There is a good fitter there I think--it's a well-established skate shop that has been working with figure skaters for at least 2 decades (when i was little I had a figure skating friend who got all her gear from there).
I could book a fitting when I'm in the city, but if they don't have the size/model of boots in stock at the time, I guess I'd have to make a separate trip back there, which might be months later. Or, if I end up needing rapid-custom Jackson (very wide forefoot, very narrow heel), how would they manage that in a single visit? I imagine I'd still need to return to try them on, have them make any necessary adjustments, etc. Alternatively, I could preemptively get fitted when i'm visiting home, BEFORE my current boots break down, without actually purchasing a pair yet (I understand I'd have to pay a fitting fee), and then WHEN my boots break down, give them a call and tell them to order whatever we decided on beforehand, then pick them up whenever I fly home again. If that's the case, I'd probably look into getting fitted this summer when I'm home, and potentially purchase a pair next Christmas when hopefully I can be home again.

OMG I'm getting a headache.

tl;dr... I'd love to know if my boots will last another 1.5-2 years (I know it's impossible to be able to tell for sure, but it would be helpful to hear from others' experience), and if not, for people who live quite far from a fitter, how do you get semi-custom boots?

Thanks in advance :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello all, would appreciate some insight into a few concerns that are weighing on my mind.
I'm an adult skater (approx 130-135 lbs) currently in Risport RF3 boots with CA blades. I've had these since June 2023, although didn't really skate more than 1-2 hrs/week in the summer due to club scheduling (mostly summer camps). Since September, I've been skating between 4-6 hrs/week and working on single jumps up to axel (have started drills etc, jumping it in the harness, but not unassisted yet until I can prove I can do it safely lol). The boots are working fine for me right now, and other than a little heel slippage/loose ankle that I mitigate with a gel sleeve, I'm pretty happy. (I think I would have done better in a rapid custom Jackson boot due to my weird feet, but my only option of a fitter at the time was when I was on vacation on the other side of the world, so I had to go with what they had in stock).

BUT I'm also a worrier, and I'm someone who plans for the future because I hate scrambling at the last minute.

This summer I'll be moving to a city where the closest fitter I could get to is about a 3 hour plane ride away. I'll be there for at least a year, and after that I have no idea where I'll be moving. So there's a bunch of things sort of swirling around my brain:

1. How long will these boots last me? Will they last another 1.5 years, at least until I move away from that city, hopefully to somewhere with a fitter (or somewhere closer than a plane ride away)?

2. If they break down, how do I figure out an optimal way to get fitted, including if semi-custom boots are needed? My best option would probably be to get fitted in the city where my parents live, since I could maybe visit twice a year if I'm able to get vacation time. There is a good fitter there I think--it's a well-established skate shop that has been working with figure skaters for at least 2 decades (when i was little I had a figure skating friend who got all her gear from there).
I could book a fitting when I'm in the city, but if they don't have the size/model of boots in stock at the time, I guess I'd have to make a separate trip back there, which might be months later. Or, if I end up needing rapid-custom Jackson (very wide forefoot, very narrow heel), how would they manage that in a single visit? I imagine I'd still need to return to try them on, have them make any necessary adjustments, etc. Alternatively, I could preemptively get fitted when i'm visiting home, BEFORE my current boots break down, without actually purchasing a pair yet (I understand I'd have to pay a fitting fee), and then WHEN my boots break down, give them a call and tell them to order whatever we decided on beforehand, then pick them up whenever I fly home again. If that's the case, I'd probably look into getting fitted this summer when I'm home, and potentially purchase a pair next Christmas when hopefully I can be home again.

OMG I'm getting a headache.

tl;dr... I'd love to know if my boots will last another 1.5-2 years (I know it's impossible to be able to tell for sure, but it would be helpful to hear from others' experience), and if not, for people who live quite far from a fitter, how do you get semi-custom boots?

Thanks in advance :)
Hi and welcome! There is no way your boots will last nearly that long. Also, why are you convinced you need a semi-custom Jackson? If Risport works, stick with it. No boot will fit perfect unless it’s a full on custom.

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hi and welcome! There is no way your boots will last nearly that long. Also, why are you convinced you need a semi-custom Jackson? If Risport works, stick with it. No boot will fit perfect unless it’s a full on custom.
Hi and thanks! You’d actually helped me out before when I was looking for my current pair of boots. I know you’re a wealth of knowledge so I always appreciate your replies.

My current set does seem to be working. The wide heel/ankle does annoy me a little, but it’s stilll way better than my previous Jackson freestyles where my heel was constantly going up and down. I wasn’t sure if a Jackson synergy with C or D forefoot and A heel would completely eliminate the problems. I never got to try on that model so 🤷‍♀️ . essentially just staying open to options.

Any ballpark estimate as to how long my current boots would last? I know it’s hard to say cause it’s so individual, but you seemed quite confident in saying that they wouldn’t last another couple years so I wondered if you had an idea. Just so I can start planning when and how to get another pair when these do break down. There’s a small chance I could order the same model before I leave my current city, as we do have a fitter here, but they do not carry boots in stock—they measure, you pay and order, and hopefully it works out. That would have to be done around May/June, and if my current ones aren’t yet broken down at that point, would it be a bit excessive to buy another pair?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi and thanks! You’d actually helped me out before when I was looking for my current pair of boots. I know you’re a wealth of knowledge so I always appreciate your replies.

My current set does seem to be working. The wide heel/ankle does annoy me a little, but it’s stilll way better than my previous Jackson freestyles where my heel was constantly going up and down. I wasn’t sure if a Jackson synergy with C or D forefoot and A heel would completely eliminate the problems. I never got to try on that model so 🤷‍♀️ . essentially just staying open to options.

Any ballpark estimate as to how long my current boots would last? I know it’s hard to say cause it’s so individual, but you seemed quite confident in saying that they wouldn’t last another couple years so I wondered if you had an idea. Just so I can start planning when and how to get another pair when these do break down. There’s a small chance I could order the same model before I leave my current city, as we do have a fitter here, but they do not carry boots in stock—they measure, you pay and order, and hopefully it works out. That would have to be done around May/June, and if my current ones aren’t yet broken down at that point, would it be a bit excessive to buy another pair?
If in a couple of months, say around early April, the current boots are still what you like, even if they're still in good shape I'd go ahead and order another pair if I could afford them. I tend to be a bit OCD about not running out of something I like, but my thinking would be that there might be difficulties ordering in or from your new location that you can't anticipate. Having that replacement pair in your back pocket, so to speak, would be one item checked off on your Peace of Mind list while you move and settle in. Well, it would ease my mind anyway if that were my situation.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

If your situation allows I'd be ordering a new pair March/April. By then they will be a year old and won't be lasting much longer.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
If in a couple of months, say around early April, the current boots are still what you like, even if they're still in good shape I'd go ahead and order another pair if I could afford them. I tend to be a bit OCD about not running out of something I like, but my thinking would be that there might be difficulties ordering in or from your new location that you can't anticipate. Having that replacement pair in your back pocket, so to speak, would be one item checked off on your Peace of Mind list while you move and settle in. Well, it would ease my mind anyway if that were my situation.
It's good to be careful and plan ahead. Better be OCD than careless and be sad because you ran out.
I don't know which country CoffeeFan is located and how is the demand for skates where he/she is, but over here they recommended start placing a new order after 6 months of the last order, especially if the skates are a popular brand/model and popular size too. Mine are size 255 mm which seems to be very popular around here ibut in a narrow width, not so popular. I placed my last order on the end of July with date of arrival late October/beginning of November (I was so lucky someone else placed an order of the same size and width, several months later when the order arrived the kid's feet grew and these skates were tight, so they called me. It was late September.) Big, big demand, not so big supply so the waiting time is long. Best to order with time in advance and even order 2 pairs, if one is completely satisfied with his/her current brand and model, no growing feet and no plan to change.
Good idea also plan for blades. Last year the waiting period for blades here was huge.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's good to be careful and plan ahead. Better be OCD than careless and be sad because you ran out.
I don't know which country CoffeeFan is located and how is the demand for skates where he/she is, but over here they recommended start placing a new order after 6 months of the last order, especially if the skates are a popular brand/model and popular size too. Mine are size 255 mm which seems to be very popular around here ibut in a narrow width, not so popular. I placed my last order on the end of July with date of arrival late October/beginning of November (I was so lucky someone else placed an order of the same size and width, several months later when the order arrived the kid's feet grew and these skates were tight, so they called me. It was late September.) Big, big demand, not so big supply so the waiting time is long. Best to order with time in advance and even order 2 pairs, if one is completely satisfied with his/her current brand and model, no growing feet and no plan to change.
Good idea also plan for blades. Last year the waiting period for blades here was huge.
I believe OP is in Canada.

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Thank you thank you thank you @Ic3Rabbit @Diana Delafield @LolaSkatesInJapan for your helpful recommendations! I'm glad you didn't think I was insane for considering preemptively ordering a pair before my current ones broke down.

When I got my skates sharpened by my fitter in December, I asked about how long skates last for adults and was told that because adults aren't jumping doubles and triples (well, I mean, I hope that one day I can get to doubles lol) they tend to last several years, and that my boots were totally fine. But like I said, I'm a worrier, and a couple nights ago I got a little alarmed when I squeezed the sides of my boots and they were much squishier than I remember, leading to some concern that they wouldn't last as long as I need before I can find another fitter.

Which then leads to another question (sorry), for blades, would you just order a new set of blades at the same time, so that they could be mounted by someone trustworthy? The fitter in my current city, although doesn't carry stock of boots and blades, is quite skilled with blade mounting/boot modifications. They fixed up my current set a couple months after I moved here, and it made such a huge different lol. I could get them to mount the blade/punch out the toes/etc etc, and basically get the skates totally ready to skate in, and then when my older pair breaks down, sell the older blades?

My goodness I hope my tax return comes back favorable this year.

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I believe OP is in Canada.
Yes that's correct. Based on the great advice ya'll have given me, as we get towards end of spring, I'll talk to my fitter about ordering and see what the wait times are. They may be hesitant to order if my boots are still in good shape, but hey it's my money lol. If it's too long, I can probably call around to other places in Canada and see what their times are, get it shipped to me, and modified by the fitter for heat molding, etc.

Thanks again. This has been super helpful!

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
If your situation allows I'd be ordering a new pair March/April. By then they will be a year old and won't be lasting much longer.
Still boggles my mind haha. I thought only much higher level skaters went through skates in a year. But also, I'm probably quite a bit heavier than the average skater :p

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Thank you thank you thank you @Ic3Rabbit @Diana Delafield @LolaSkatesInJapan for your helpful recommendations! I'm glad you didn't think I was insane for considering preemptively ordering a pair before my current ones broke down.

When I got my skates sharpened by my fitter in December, I asked about how long skates last for adults and was told that because adults aren't jumping doubles and triples (well, I mean, I hope that one day I can get to doubles lol) they tend to last several years, and that my boots were totally fine. But like I said, I'm a worrier, and a couple nights ago I got a little alarmed when I squeezed the sides of my boots and they were much squishier than I remember, leading to some concern that they wouldn't last as long as I need before I can find another fitter.

Which then leads to another question (sorry), for blades, would you just order a new set of blades at the same time, so that they could be mounted by someone trustworthy? The fitter in my current city, although doesn't carry stock of boots and blades, is quite skilled with blade mounting/boot modifications. They fixed up my current set a couple months after I moved here, and it made such a huge different lol. I could get them to mount the blade/punch out the toes/etc etc, and basically get the skates totally ready to skate in, and then when my older pair breaks down, sell the older blades?

If it were me, I would consult the shop where you usually buy your blades from how is the current supply versus demand.
As I mentioned in my previous post, where I live last year there was a big shortage of supply versus the usual high demand, which resulted in a very very long waiting time for the John Wilson blades, for example.

If your blades supplier confirms that there's indeed a high demand vs shorter supply, if it were me, I would definitely order blades with time in advance as well, to go with the boots you've ordered, even more so in your case, where you like the person who mounts the blades in your current city and you are to move away from it. New boots and new blades, you can go there, have the person mount everything the way you need them to be and you will have planned well, having a nice new pair of skates you will use when your current pair needs to be retired.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Hmmmm I am not a professional, but I would think that generalizing and putting all adults into a "aren't jumping doubles and triples" category is not a good idea. I am an adult non professional skater myself and can jump doubles (not jumping/practicing them currently on ice since I just healed a foot injury not that long ago and am currently practicing/catching up slowly but steadily until I once again jump what I jumped prior to injury).
How long the boot last, by what I see in the rink I go to where I have many friends, some much better than me, some worse, some who didn't start as adult like me and by what my coaches say, depends on so many factors. Frequency of use of the boot, skater's body ,style, skills etc. I am 163 cm 50 kg, usually skate 4 or 5 days a week, 3 hours and a half a day, now January, a ton of holidays and rink being rented, so practice reduced until the end of the month The boot which lasted the longest was 1 year (my very first boot). The shortest use was not even 4 months (issue with the boot + injury which lead to starting to wear another model of boot within the same brand that suits me much better and now I'm healed and 100% satisfied with my current boot).
I know someone at the rink who has had the same boot for more than 2 years but she skates on a very recreational basis, doesn't compete or is in exhibitions even though she does have a coach and takes lessons, and skates at the rink only twice a week, or even once sometimes and never more than a couple hours. All my other friends is either 1 year or less.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Get a new pair of blades, the current ones will be done with sharpenings or near close by new boot time. Also, that shop gave you incorrect info on boot use and time until next pair.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Still boggles my mind haha. I thought only much higher level skaters went through skates in a year. But also, I'm probably quite a bit heavier than the average skater :p
There are many reasons why a non-high-level skater would go through skates every year, and it's more common than you'd think to get skates every year. Certain boots have a tendency to break down a lot faster than others. Sometimes, it's just time for a new pair. Or perhaps kids whose feet are growing.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hmmmm I am not a professional, but I would think that generalizing and putting all adults into a "aren't jumping doubles and triples" category is not a good idea.

A friend of mine who is a professional musician started skating as an adult, not necessarily intending to go terribly far with it - and landed his first double toe at age 52! :)

Elija

On the Ice
I also learned the hard way last year how long it can take if you don’t wear a standard width. In my case it was six months, so I definitely regretted waiting until my boots were done before ordering new ones, those six months were a struggle. In the past it had been about six weeks not months, but obviously covid has had a huge impact on supply. Risport and Edea are also located in northern Italy, which was of course one of the early covid epicentres and very hard hit, so it’s quite possible they actually lost a lot of their staff and knowledge base :(

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Get a new pair of blades, the current ones will be done with sharpenings or near close by new boot time. Also, that shop gave you incorrect info on boot use and time until next pair.
Good to know. When they said "many years", it just didn't quite sit right with me, so I figured I'd ask others' opinions as well.

Interestingly, some of my adult skater friends, at a higher level than me (they've been skating way longer, so spins, skills and edges etc are much more solid, but also doing single jumps like me), have been able to get around 3 years out of their boots, but I think they do have stiffer ones. Also, they aren't continuously jumping for half the session like I do haha. I assume that the RF3 pro would still be suitable for my skating level, even if I start doing doubles at some point?

Last edited:

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
A friend of mine who is a professional musician started skating as an adult, not necessarily intending to go terribly far with it - and landed his first double toe at age 52! :)
OMG that's awesome!!! My goal is to get to doubles some day. Honestly I don't know jumping-wise how far one can go, starting as an adult, but I'm excited to find out :)

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I also learned the hard way last year how long it can take if you don’t wear a standard width. In my case it was six months, so I definitely regretted waiting until my boots were done before ordering new ones, those six months were a struggle. In the past it had been about six weeks not months, but obviously covid has had a huge impact on supply. Risport and Edea are also located in northern Italy, which was of course one of the early covid epicentres and very hard hit, so it’s quite possible they actually lost a lot of their staff and knowledge base :(
Oooof that's rough. I'm definitely going to have to ask around, to every supplier in Canada if need be, to see who can get it for me in the timeframe required.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Good to know. When they said "many years", it just didn't quite sit right with me, so I figured I'd ask others' opinions as well.

Interestingly, some of my adult skater friends, at a higher level than me (they've been skating way longer, so spins, skills and edges etc are much more solid, but also doing single jumps like me), have been able to get around 3 years out of their boots, but I think they do have stiffer ones. Also, they aren't continuously jumping for half the session like I do haha. I assume that the RF3 pro would still be suitable for my skating level, even if I start doing doubles at some point?
You should be fine in Rf3 Pros for doubles. Have fun and good luck! :)