Patrick Chan | Page 157 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
How exiting! Further info so far:

Skate Canada BC/YK Section to Support an Innovative and Exciting Project in the further development of Skating in British Columbia.

Video: Patrick Chan at Drummond Club reveal

All my very best to Patrick and the new school!

Eta: Meoima, thanks for bringing the news. In my excitement and haste for further info, I missed that you had brought the video.

I've also started a new thread in The Edge for this worthy news (especially in the off season) so be ready for all the brouhaha.

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
What question did Chan and Rochette fail to answer? Take a look at the following interview for fun:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=616920
Besides being lighthearted and fun, this interview is very enlightening. What particularly impressed me were the parts I bolded from this quote: "We'll see where it goes. I think for once I can compete and not care about the results, 'cause I'm really happy with what I've achieved so far, so now it's just about achieving personal goals, and if I don't like it in a year, then I have other projects lined up, but I'd love to go to the next Olympics." This is the complete opposite of the tone of the other article that got Patrick so much criticism earlier this month. I never had the heart to read the full article, but the quotes people chose to pull out were not good. THIS is more like it. I’m thrilled to “see where it goes” and “not care about the results” along with Patrick! :yay: I honestly thought our competitive ride with him would be over after Sochi, but I’m glad it’s not. :biggrin:

And speaking of having other projects lined up…

How exiting! Further info so far:

Skate Canada BC/YK Section to Support an Innovative and Exciting Project in the further development of Skating in British Columbia.

Video: Patrick Chan at Drummond Club reveal

All my very best to Patrick and the new school!

Eta: Meoima, thanks for bringing the news. In my excitement and haste for further info, I missed that you had brought the video.

I've also started a new thread in The Edge for this worthy news (especially in the off season) so be ready for all the brouhaha.
:clap: I’m so happy that one of Patrick’s other dreams will be becoming a reality!!! I wonder what the extent of his involvement will be in the future. Sounds like for now his role is planner, idea sharer, and other administrative stuff, as opposed to “coach.” Anyway, I hope the school does well!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick has been talking like someone with no monkey on his back. There is a mature and relaxed attitude about him these days. And his skating has been just mesmerizing and beautiful. Ironically, the relaxed attitude may just help him win competitions. Budha said that sttachment is the root of all suffering, and all metaphysicians will tell you attachment, just as need and desperation, keeps what one desires away. Exhibit A: Olympic Gold Medal.

Follow your bliss, Patrick.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
this forum is unfortunately filled with people who don't like Patrick. My take on this:

if you can't recognize how wonderful a skater Patrick is, then you shouldn't call yourself a figure skating fan... we are all biased some way or another... being Canadian makes me more open to Canadian athletes... but it doesn't mean that I will diss Japanese skaters just out of spite.

I agree that the Edge is unfortunately often filled with useless banter... but it's nothing compared to the competition threads where I have seen people literally hope for skaters to bomb it... and write it out in bold in threads... it's unfortunate that in order to benefit from the great things this forum has to offer, we have to suffer through the zoo it often becomes when some fans cannot get over themselves.

Hang in there :) we need more people like you here!

Farewell, The Edge, forever! (Well, probably not, but...) Patrick said some things in a different article that came out wrong (what else is new, right?) and is now being blasted to bits in two separate threads there. Look if you want (or maybe you already have) but I don't recommend it. :slink: What are we going to do about Patrick always saying things that come across the wrong way???!!! :cry::disapp:

I guess I'll just go watch his Ex to "Don't Worry, Be Happy."

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Three-time world champion Patrick Chan says he’s returning a different skater
The Canadian Press
Published: June 10, 2015, 6:48 pm
http://o.canada.com/sports/three-ti...ck-chan-says-hes-returning-a-different-skater

Excerpt:

Chan will skate to Michael Buble’s version of “Mack the Knife” for his short program, making use of skating’s new rule allowing vocals. The program has elements of tap dancing in it, so he spent three hours a day for the past five days working in a studio with tap dancer Lucas Beaver. Chan showed off a video clip of his new tap dancing moves on Wednesday.

“It is one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, harder than taking hip hop or ballet,” he said. “At least I can bring the feel and the style and the hands, the swagger, into the program.”

ETA, the article says his ice wine is launching this weekend :cool:.​

Catch a glimpse of Patrick's new SP 'Mack the Knife' by Michael Bublé.

And a second mini-clip of Patrick's new SP is in the Programs thread.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Oh wow, that SP glimpse took me by surprise (the good one of course). It was great to see him skating to such an upbeat music, a nice, refreshing change from what we saw in 2013-2014. And he really looks like he's having fun, the choreography looks great. I'm looking forward to see it fully developed! :popcorn:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Patrick's "On Ice" ice wine is the focus of these articles:

Patrick Chan takes to different ice: wine, that is
Canadian figure skating champ says he’s no wine expert, but likes his namesake Riesling from Niagara

By: Lisa Wright Business Reporter
Published on Fri Jun 12 2015
http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/06/12/patrick-chan-takes-to-different-ice-wine-that-is.html -- includes photo of the wine label for Patrick's brand​

Chan launches 'On Ice' icewine in perfect marriage of sport and business venture
Lori Ewing, The Canadian Press
Published Friday, June 12, 2015 6:02PM EDT
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/chan-l...riage-of-sport-and-business-venture-1.2420460

Excerpts from first article:

He said despite his lack of expertise he was very much involved in choosing the sweet vino known more as a dessert wine, testing several batches at the 10-year-old Flat Rock winery before landing on the perfect one for him.
“It’s subtle, and I think that complements my skating perfectly,” Chan noted.
He says he was also very much involved in choosing the label, which bears his name, but not his picture, and has a gold maple leaf and a swirl pattern which look like the marks made by skating circles on ice.

They are also hoping to produce red and white table wines under Chan’s name.

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Many goodies in this thread over the last couple of days. I love the "Patrick Chan Returns" video from Skate Canada. I love the possibilities of the new SP. And I love what David Wilson had to say in the IFS article. What particularly makes me SO SO SO HAPPY is David's response to the last question.

Do you notice any difference in how Patrick emotes his programs in training?

Oh yes. In the eye contact, the engagement, with him doing every movement as if there is an audience there. You can just see that he is used to being in front of an audience so much more. There is more personal charisma that I did not see before. He has spent a lot of time around professional performers and that makes him more seasoned than the amateur kids out there showing up all eager for competition (everyone laughed). He has developed a more well-rounded disposition.
If there was a weakness in Patrick's skating before, it was his lack of charisma on competition ice (brought up more so by his detractors than by us). Maybe that particular criticism will be lessened once people see "the new Patrick" who has made the performance improvements that David speaks of. It's June and I'm already getting excited for next season! :biggrin:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I've always appreciated and enjoyed Patrick's style of performance in competitions with programs showcasing his strengths and maximizing the technical difficulties he is capable of, requiring total focus from him. With his sublime skating and musicality, he draws people in, like they are privy to his personal expression of feelings. Many people, however, prefer performers who reach out to them to get them involved. They find a rock star strutting, pointing, and waving at them, arousing their feelings and inviting cheering, lusting and sometimes joining in the singing much more exciting than watching a classical musician immersed in playing his instrument as a part of himself. The involvement is not overt and is very personal, even spiritual.

It is easier to reach out to the audience with easier programs, even some competitive programs with segments carved out for appealing to the audience with non skating moves. Patrick has been flirting with the audience in his various show programs and getting more natural with his growing up and with experiences, particularly this past year. He now wants to showcase more artistry and to do more reaching out in his competitive performances. It is not easy to be on top of both the highest technical requirements and artistry while interacting with the audience. I believe he does have the ability to do so. What he needs is relaxed focus. This is not an oxymoron. Many people erroneously fuse focus with nervousness, and relaxing with non action. I think Patrick is at a stage when he is capable of being relaxed and focused.

Patrick always has a growth goal every year and he usually achieves it. He decided the Olympic year was not a time to try new things but to put out his best so far. I don't think that thinking worked out so well for him. Now he is back on his trajectory and determined to carve out his path. I have faith in his success and always enjoy witnessing his growth.

I can hardly wait for his first performance of the season. Japan Open? Then we will see the reworked LP there and then the new SP at Skate Canada.

m0001

On the Ice
I've always appreciated and enjoyed Patrick's style of performance in competitions with programs showcasing his strengths and maximizing the technical difficulties he is capable of, requiring total focus from him. With his sublime skating and musicality, he draws people in, like they are privy to his personal expression of feelings. Many people, however, prefer performers who reach out to them to get them involved. They find a rock star strutting, pointing, and waving at them, arousing their feelings and inviting cheering, lusting and sometimes joining in the singing much more exciting than watching a classical musician immersed in playing his instrument as a part of himself. The involvement is not overt and is very personal, even spiritual.

It is easier to reach out to the audience with easier programs, even some competitive programs with segments carved out for appealing to the audience with non skating moves. Patrick has been flirting with the audience in his various show programs and getting more natural with his growing up and with experiences, particularly this past year. He now wants to showcase more artistry and to do more reaching out in his competitive performances. It is not easy to be on top of both the highest technical requirements and artistry while interacting with the audience. I believe he does have the ability to do so. What he needs is relaxed focus. This is not an oxymoron. Many people erroneously fuse focus with nervousness, and relaxing with non action. I think Patrick is at a stage when he is capable of being relaxed and focused.

Patrick always has a growth goal every year and he usually achieves it. He decided the Olympic year was not a time to try new things but to put out his best so far. I don't think that thinking worked out so well for him. Now he is back on his trajectory and determined to carve out his path. I have faith in his success and always enjoy witnessing his growth.

I can hardly wait for his first performance of the season. Japan Open? Then we will see the reworked LP there and then the new SP at Skate Canada.

Totally agree with you SkateFiguring!