Patrick Chan | Page 144 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, people do respect Patrick's skating skills and even his artistry, unabashedly or grudgingly.
Yes, I suppose you're right. I actually took that part out of my original post because I didn't want to sound like I was whining or complaining. I am so glad to have this thread in which to enjoy Patrick's sublime skating in peace.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Did anyone happen to save a copy of this vid so it could be re-uploaded? I went to re-watch it today and it's gone because the account was terminated due to copyright. There's another vid on YouTube but the quality is not very good. I wanted to blog about it, but there's no way I will if the vid is low-quality. If I'm sharing Patrick's skating with non-fans, the vids have to be great!!! And I'd love to use JO because I'm scared future versions of this program won't be as clean. Call me a worrier. :laugh:

Here's the low-quality one just so you know what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbSKY8lyTEQ

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
skatingfan4ever, if you're going to blog and show Patrick's JO performance off, your biggest concern may be that this video may be taken off as well for the same reason, never mind the quality. We were all lucky to have seen those uploaded before from the TV show.

We may have to wait for a flawless one with higher tech level next season.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
skatingfan4ever, if you're going to blog and show Patrick's JO performance off, your biggest concern may be that this video may be taken off as well for the same reason, never mind the quality. We were all lucky to have seen those uploaded before from the TV show.

We may have to wait for a flawless one with higher tech level next season.
Sigh, I think you're right. It's not a big deal; I'm just disappointed, that's all. The good news is, if I end up blogging about it next season, Patrick may have a better costume. ;) Well, this means that for now I'll blog about another Patrick program instead. It's my personal blog and I haven't written about figure skating at all yet. So, which Patrick program should I show off first? Every program is its own work of art, so in some ways it's a hard choice. My blog is read, for the most part, by people who know very little about figure skating. My question is, which program is the easiest for casual viewers to "get?" Four Seasons 1? POTO? Four Seasons 2? I suppose that may depend a lot on me putting Patrick's skating skills into words, which somewhat terrifies me. How do you explain skating skills, blade work, footwork, ease of movement, etc, to people who aren't very familiar with the sport? At the same time, I don't want to get too technical and confuse/overwhelm my readers (or myself as I'm writing). I've wanted to blog about Esqualo ever since I first saw it. I could blog about 2013 TEB closer to the one-year anniversary. Any thoughts?

m0001

On the Ice
Sigh, I think you're right. It's not a big deal; I'm just disappointed, that's all. The good news is, if I end up blogging about it next season, Patrick may have a better costume. ;) Well, this means that for now I'll blog about another Patrick program instead. It's my personal blog and I haven't written about figure skating at all yet. So, which Patrick program should I show off first? Every program is its own work of art, so in some ways it's a hard choice. My blog is read, for the most part, by people who know very little about figure skating. My question is, which program is the easiest for casual viewers to "get?" Four Seasons 1? POTO? Four Seasons 2? I suppose that may depend a lot on me putting Patrick's skating skills into words, which somewhat terrifies me. How do you explain skating skills, blade work, footwork, ease of movement, etc, to people who aren't very familiar with the sport? At the same time, I don't want to get too technical and confuse/overwhelm my readers (or myself as I'm writing). I've wanted to blog about Esqualo ever since I first saw it. I could blog about 2013 TEB closer to the one-year anniversary. Any thoughts?

How about Take Five
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHOMvzABdO8

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
skatingfan4ever, you are just egging Patrick fans on to nominate their favorites and compile a Best Of Patrick Chan in the process. :laugh:

For the purpose of introducing Patrick to the casual fans, it's best to use videos with commentaries that explain what is so good about his skating, taking into consideration of your own intended remarks.

Thank you m0001 for reminding me of how much I love his Take 5. However, the Universal Sports' commentary bugs me so much. Generally I don't care for the American commentaries at all. For the same Take 5 in English, I much prefer the British version.

Similarly, their TEB 2013 LP version is much more educational than NBC's. Of course, my favorite is Aranjuez at the Canadian Nationals though people may feel it's biased, even as they may feel the same about Kurt Browning who is very good in pointing out the nuances.

Patrick's 2011 POTO at Worlds or Nationals remains one of my all time favorite skating performances as well. For entertainment value, I also like Moon Dance and Don't Worry, Be Happy very much for the fun and funny.

You have your work cut out for you if you are to choose just one video. :laugh:

spikydurian

Medalist
Just a word of support for you, skatingfan. Let us know when your blog is ready! Looking forward!!:clap:

I have so many favourites of Patrick. Tango exilados, Aranjuez, 4 Seasons, Elegie .... I love the one footed step sequence from Take Five. In every program, due to his superior skating skills, he could bring some new moves to the program which wowed me.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I just want to recommend you guys, use vimeo if you have video with copyright issue, they won't delete our video, unlike youtube and dailymotion.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for the wonderful suggestions everyone!

skatingfan4ever, you are just egging Patrick fans on to nominate their favorites and compile a Best Of Patrick Chan in the process. :laugh:
Oh I know. :laugh: I've been doing that in my own head ever since I decided to blog about Patrick. :eek:: Each program has contributed to the magic that is Patrick's skating.

Just a word of support for you, skatingfan. Let us know when your blog is ready! Looking forward!!:clap:

I have so many favourites of Patrick. Tango exilados, Aranjuez, 4 Seasons, Elegie .... I love the one footed step sequence from Take Five. In every program, due to his superior skating skills, he could bring some new moves to the program which wowed me.
Hello Spiky!!! Long time no post. I hope you've been doing well. And actually, I've been posting exclusively in this thread for the entire off-season. I hope you got to see Patrick's new Tango and his JO program. Thank you for your encouraging words! :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Two thoughts re Patrick's JO performance:

1. It is amazing how he was able to hold on so strongly when he hit or almost hit the board right after the 4T3T. He was hardly affected.

2. The big smile after the 3A. I think it was more than just being pleased with landing it. After all, he has landed many 3A even if he has more problems with this jump than any other. I think he might be pleased with the success of the new entrance into it. Maybe tweaking the entrance will bring a very consistent 3A from now on. I believe his 3A trouble is a mental issue and making it different may just make it new with a clean mental slate. We shall wait and see.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow, I had no idea that FSU had a Patrick Uber Thread as well! :love: Maybe FSU isn't so scary after all. :laugh: I see that Spiky, Emdee, and Meoima (and maybe others) post there as well as here. I may join FSU just for that thread. ;)

I saw on that thread that Patrick will skate to live music for the first time at SkateMania. I've always wondered how he feels about that. Personally, I might not enjoy it as much if he was in the Disson shows on American TV because lately a lot of the shots are of the singers, so I would miss some of Patrick's on-ice genius. OTOH, right now I make do with YouTube videos of Patrick, so seeing him on my TV is a big plus anytime. Btw, no matter who the skater is, it bugs me so much that they cut so often to the singer singing. I tune in to the skating shows (even if they are cheesy) to watch the SKATING, not the singing. So, when the music is recorded, we can see all the skating and the skater is the star. But I digress from the subject of this thread...

Meoima

Match Penalty
Wow, I had no idea that FSU had a Patrick Uber Thread as well! :love: Maybe FSU isn't so scary after all. :laugh: I see that Spiky, Emdee, and Meoima (and maybe others) post there as well as here. I may join FSU just for that thread. ;)
I saw in that thread that Patrick will skate to live music for the first time at SkateMania. I've always wondered how he feels about that. Personally, I would probably not enjoy it as much if he was in the Disson shows on American TV because lately a lot of the shots are of the singers, so I would miss some of Patrick's on-ice genius. OTOH, right now I make do with YouTube videos of Patrick, so seeing him on my TV is a big plus anytime. Btw, no matter who the skater is, it bugs me so much that they cut so often to the singer singing. I tune in to the skating shows (even if they are cheesy) to watch the SKATING, not the singing. So, when the music is recorded, we can see all the skating and the skater is the star. But I digress from the subject of this thread...
Lol it's funny that I once got into an argument with some folks in FSU who said that GS banned everyone who said a bad thing about PChiddy and I was just whut???? :unsure: they use more harsh words than here for sure. So be careful.

But hey, FSU has PChiddy's uber thread which is quite active as well. Let's join us.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Patrick (along with V&M, a speed skater, and a hockey player) is featured in the English and French versions of a new CanSkate video. Patrick and the speed skater speak their own French, while V&M and the hockey player are dubbed over. My favorite part of the entire video is 0:18-0:27 because I love simply listening to Patrick's blades. :love:

English Version

French Version

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Lol it's funny that I once got into an argument with some folks in FSU who said that GS banned everyone who said a bad thing about PChiddy and I was just whut???? :unsure: they use more harsh words than here for sure. So be careful.

But hey, FSU has PChiddy's uber thread which is quite active as well. Let's join us.
I chose to join GS because it seemed "more friendly" than others, but I quickly discovered that there can be nastiness here too. It is the internet, after all. Even if I don't join FSU, I will definitely bookmark that thread's URL so I can lurk in it. :)

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank for posting this! "I hate to do this to [the fans], but I need to take time for myself this year." Aw, Patrick, you don't owe us anything. We would love to see you in Pyeongchang but as you said, that's a long time from now. In my wildest of wild dreams, Patrick goes to Pyeongchang, skates two perfect programs, and wins the OGM, shocking EVERYONE (including himself). But again, let's not get ahead of ourselves. ;) The voice-over said Patrick is on "a new path that could potentially end with that elusive Olympic gold" and I thought, "Woah, slow down!" :laugh: The mentality that Patrick is expressing now, which he had at JO, is the mentality he needed to have in Sochi. But I am thrilled that he's learning from everything that's happened.

Patrick will be a cast member in US SOI next year!!! I hope the lucky fans who can attend will take videos. :)

How likely is it that Patrick will add a 4S into his LP or otherwise increase his tech content? Do you think he needs to do so to compete with the rest of the men now? I think so. I know he's still the best all-around skater, but PCS can only take you so far. He's had the same jump layout for the last four years.

Meoima

Match Penalty
More jumps more risk, from what I've seen of this season so far, PChiddy can still win this year WC with his stellar skating skills. Yes, it is not too late to add a 4S, though. I think taking 1 year off is good for his mentality. He has competed for so long he deserves the free time.