Mirai Nagasu picked as one of the funnest sports figures.. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu picked as one of the funnest sports figures..

tulosai

Record Breaker
And the new talent is where?

Alas (and I keep using that word for women's skating this season), it's not as if a bunch of prodigies is pushing down the door trying to get in. At least, not American prodigies. Our baby ballerinas were Zhang and Nagasu. Then they were Gao and Zawadzki. Not to be dismissive of these ladies, because I always hold out hope, but so far, not so good.

I still believe Nagasu could/can do it.

I have lost belief, though, that she WILL.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Also:
Wagner could/can do it
Czisny could/can do it
The problem is, each of these three skater has a weakness and unforutnately, it's the SAME weakness - no "killer instinct" as a competitor.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think we got spoiled with having skaters like Michelle and Tara who were fierce competitors. But our top skaters used to be top competitors but sadly these skaters we have now are sorely lacking when it comes to being fighters and skating with any kind of confidence. One mistake and you just close your eyes because it can get ugly. :disapp:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wagner's probably the closest thing to "killer instinct" you'll find when it comes to the Americans.

Unfortunately, killer instinct is not enough when the talent/consistency isn't there to complement it.

mskater93

Record Breaker
RD, I disagree - if Wagner had killer instinct (which might be improving) she wouldn't continuously blow her SP at Nationals

R.D.

Record Breaker
To clarify- I said she's the CLOSEST THING to killer instinct. Not that she actually has it.

She's the only one showing a desire to win and improve her skating- but again, the skating will do the talking next week. Her fans seem to be getting increasingly confident (along with her) but the danger then becomes getting too excited and focusing too much on the result, which distracts from the task at hand. Hopefully Nicks can keep her calm and focused on the task.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Thank you for clarifying. I try not to get too excited that she's on the right track because I've been disappointed several times when she's imploded in the SP

kalle

On the Ice
I think Mirai can build on her GP showings, they have grown on me..

I actually like her SP (too bad that she will not try a 3/3) but with a bit of "attack", the scoring should be close to Alissa if both skate clean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8XakRXBGgk&feature=related

The LP is still not as fluid as I would like it to be..I guess, it is because she has still has to get in all her jumps (2A/3T and a Flip?) but Lori generally tweak her programs a bit so I am hopeful, it will look better at Nationals.Also, I would love a different dress, something like Kwan's 01/02 LP dress would look pretty on her!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5bxoCpfO6k&feature=related

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai needs to skate without looking like she's just going though the motions. She needs to learn how to bring her programs alive and not make them look like it's all work. Say what you will about Aleona Leonova but she skates the hell out of her programs no matter how awful they are. Mirai skated with no energy at her two GP events. That won't cut it at Nationals. The judges will give her big scores when she skates well but she needs to skate like she really wants to win.