NBC's SMASH | Golden Skate

NBC's SMASH

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Anyone else watching? I am really hooked. Granted it's only week three this Monday, but still. I adore Jack Davenport and he's the reason I watched the Pilot/was interested at all, but I really love all of the characters surrounding "Marilyn: The Musical". I don't just love Derek (Davenport) but I also enjoy Tom, and his assistant, and so many others. I really think this show has what it takes to make it big. I really hope others agree, because I'm really wanting to see this all the way through.

And, I really want to see this musical they're creating. I wonder if that's going to be next if this show is a hit. A show on broadway or a movie musical? :laugh:

heyang

Record Breaker
I like the show, too, but I think NBC might be making a small mistake in marketing (based upon just 2 episodes). So far, I'm not that impressed by Katherine McPhee's character and I definitely don't find her voice to be Broadway enough - JMHO. Otherwise, I enjoy the premise of what goes on behind the scenes. I actually am most interested in the songwriting team & assistant (I'm guessing that he's going to sue them since he might claim Marilyn as his own idea) and Anjelica Huston's character. Love the actor who plays the director (recall him from The Event last season), but find the character to be stereotypical right now - same with McPhee's character. They've given us a glimpse of Ivy's support system, which makes her a bit sympathetic....

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think the point is that she doesn't sound broadway.

I can't stand Ivy... and her fake Marilyn bugs me...

Jack Davenport (the director, Derek) is soooooooooooooo deliciously cruel, I see him getting even worse. Could do without the bedroom scenes but other than that I Loooooooooovvvvvvveeeee his character. I've loved him since his days in the Pirates movies... Lt/Commodore/Admiral Norrington rocks all kinds of awesome...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Great show! saw 2 - was it on tonight? I missed it...10 pm EST? I forget, need to write reminders. I think it's wonderful, and clearly Glee gave them coverage. I seem to have lost interest in glee.I just forget...I was watching the Bachelor, which is so corny. Reality TV that is tame. Well, I want one for middleaged people. Anyone want to join me? Just kidding-Horrors!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not a fan of "reality" tv, unless it's a "talent show" type. I really only watch So You Think You Can Dance with any real interest.

Not sure if I liked last nights episode of SMASH... they definitely wanted to introduce a few villains all at once. Heyang you hit Ellis' role on the head, how the heck did you do that?! :laugh: I was fixated on what you said each time he was on screen last night!

I'm also not a fan of the [very short] sex scenes. It really doesn't progress the story, and you could get the same point across having them just hanging out in bed "afterwards", but other than that I really have no big complaint with how they are telling the story. Other than everyone seems to have these over dramatic issues. And why do we have to have everyone having affairs? I don't think that's true to ANY reallife.

Tom and Derek are still my favorite two characters. I find them most interesting.

heyang

Record Breaker
on TV Fanatic, the critic got a preview of this episode and said that it could be a turn off. Not sure if I agree or not. Once again, I found myself the least interested in McPhee.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
her storyline this week sucked with the trip home... it was touted as being her joining the ensemble in the previews and then all she does is mention it five bazillion times...

I think they're trying to tell too many stories all at once. If the writers can calm down and just hope for a second season they might be able to develop the characters correctly... I'm hopeful. And like a friend said on another board - I would watch/listen to Jack Davenport read the phonebook.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mike Evans reported this show was a bomb....very, very poor ratings.

I can't say one way or another ....haven't watched myself.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Everything on NBC bombs... according to Jay Leno... I just hope they show all thirteen episodes...

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Love this show.......I think all the different story lines is a good idea as is appeals to the different characters as they develop...... I think Catherine McPhee is wonderful. Who knew she could act? 42

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I missed last week, maybe two episodes. i forget when things are on with so much stress iin my life. Can anyone summarize the last couple epidodes? The last one I saw was the party episode-evil director leads marilyn up the stairs to seduce her again after pawing woemn at his party.

Bernadette Peters, the Queen just sang 'roses" from 'Gypsy-her voice was amazing..she has had surgery clearly, but the voice is still all there. WOW, show on!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
last two episodes have been sex, sex, and oh yeah more sex... and "Marilyn" is realizing that Derek (director) is a jerk. And I think he figured out she was using him for hte part, too, so that's the only interesting thing... mainly is all about people having affairs... I'm disappointed with the soap opera... will watch only for Bernedette tonight... and my guilty pleasure Jack Davenport lol

heyang

Record Breaker
I thought tonight's was one of the better episodes IMHO. The characters became a little more well-rounded. Understand Ivy a bit better. Understand that Karen loves Broadway and now has some admiration for Ivy. Derek revealed a slightly softer edge

Julia and the show have opened themselves up to a lawsuit by firing Michael.... He's a scumbag for not having any guilt over pursuing Julia.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
whoa spoiler... lol it doesn't show for me for another hour and a half... not a fan of the Julia Michael thing anyway, I have a very hard time being okay with teh whole "we had an affair once and it wasn't any big deal."

heyang

Record Breaker
whoa spoiler... lol it doesn't show for me for another hour and a half... not a fan of the Julia Michael thing anyway, I have a very hard time being okay with teh whole "we had an affair once and it wasn't any big deal."

Oops, sorry!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I love this show. Was there in fact ever a broadway show or trial thereof of a Marilyn Monroe musical? It seems like something Elton john would have his heart into. "Smash" is one of the very few shows I am into. How I wish for more programming like this. I'll put up with the bad morality to see these beautiful original songs.

For behind the scenes Broadway musical theatre, you might enjoy reading Patti Lupone's autobiography. She claimed to see Evita's ghost three times. That'd be enough to make me quit!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wonder if this isn't going to end up being a long extended promo for a show about Marilyn... otherwise all of these songs seem to have to go to waste after teh season is over...

and what are they going to do for a second season - should this making it that far?

heyang

Record Breaker
Years ago, the original concept was that the show would actually go to Broadway and the next season of SMASH would pick up with a new show being developed. I don't think they're going this route anymore. It would mean changing the cast every year.

I could see them having next season be about the actual Broadway run of the show and the backstage drama, what happens when a star is sick or leaves the show, etc.....not sure where a third season could go.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hmmm yeah I could see your idea for season 2 working, actually. hadn't thought of it that way. maybe season 3 can be the broadway show getting turned into a movie, and they can do the "My Fair Lady" thing with the leading lady being the only one from the show replaced by a movie star. (Julie Andrews got replaced by Audrey Hepburn. Disney snatched Julie up for Mary Poppins. Andrews would win the Oscar for best actress... Hepburn would be the only nominee from My Fair Lady to lose. IIRC. Andrews in her acceptance speech thanked the producers of My Fair Lady, without them her turn as Mary Poppins would not have been possible. She is the queen of OH, SNAP! I love her).