2013 Worlds Ladies SP | Page 67 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies SP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

creme cup

Rinkside
The judging system is really clumsy.
If judges don't get to review jumps afterwards, how can we be sure that the score is trustworthy?
Unlike most of other sports, figure skating doesn't have video replay nor objection system.
I know that this sports is not all about techniques but ISU judging system is way too far behind the technology and acurracy.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
What are the Yuna fans complaining about now? Yuna is in first. Is it because she didn't break another world record for her SP? Got an edge call on the flip? Didn't get +3 GOE across the board? :rolleye:

I believe there was an argument on whether or not she got a ratified standing ovation as well--no joke.

I love Yuna, but this is getting (more) ridiculous. :rolleye:

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Yuna KIM (KOR) - 69.97 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 66.86 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 66.64 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 64.73 Short Program
5. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 63.98 Short Program
6. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 62.10 Short Program
7. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 61.17 Short Program
8. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 59.62 Short Program
9. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 58.85 Short Program
10. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 58.36 Short Program
11. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 56.90 Short Program
12. Zijun LI (CHN) - 56.31 Short Program
13. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 56.30 Short Program
14. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 54.72 Short Program
15. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 54.59 Short Program
16. Sonia LAFUENTE (ESP) - 52.44 Short Program
17. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 51.67 Short Program
18. Jenna MCCORKELL (GBR) - 51.23 Short Program
19. Monika SIMANCIKOVA (SVK) - 51.18 Short Program
20. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 50.62 Short Program
21. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 50.41 Short Program
22. Kerstin FRANK (AUT) - 49.66 Short Program
23. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 48.80 Short Program
24. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 48.14 Short program
25. Isadora WILLIAMS (BRA) - 46.63 Short Program
26. Anita MADSEN (DEN) - 46.16 Short Program
27. Carol BRESSANUTTI (ITA) - 44.51 Short Program
28. Kaat VAN DAELE (BEL) - 42.51 Short Program
29. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 42.40 Short Program
30. Tina STUERZINGER (SUI) - 42.36 Short Program
31. Juulia TURKKILA (FIN) - 40.70 Short Program
32. Anne Line GJERSEM (NOR) - 38.53 Short Program
33. Inga JANULEVICIUTE (LTU) - 36.79 Short Program
34. Patricia GLESCIC (SLO) - 36.66 Short Program
35. Alina FJODOROVA (LAT) - 36.44 Short Program

aero

On the Ice
I haven't had the opportunity to watch all the performances yet, but what I've read so far, I personally am fine with the placements. The actual scores though, I'm quite apprehensive (some were overscored underscored yadada) but where everyone is, I'm okay with. Kudos to the technical panel, and again, I personally have nothing against what they did today. I believe we have to take into account what the COP wants and deducts for, and falls are just not as big of a deal as they used to be. Is this fact questionable? certainly, but it is what it is.

Even though I said that the placements were fair, I sure wish that some of my favorites had skated a little better. I'm sad to hear Akiko isn't in the final flight, especially with the judges seemingly not presenting her with PCS that she deserves. I hope that she skates lights out, maybe not podium worthy, but clean and something that will force the judges to take a second look.

I'd like to say more about each individual skater, but alas, a cold is hampering my mood and concentration. I'm actually REALLY excited for how the Free Skate turns out though :laugh:

OH. and thanks to all the people who have been posting links. I wasn't able to watch the competition live, but it's nice to know that when Saturday comes, I won't have to just sit in front my computer looking at scores popping up.

bump

Match Penalty
As others have said, the top 5 are mostly correct although, as others have also said, I believe the order is a bit whack. Carolina Kostner should DEFINITELY be behind Murakami at the very least (and prob 6th or lower, actually). Flat out falling on and UR a triple jump would automatically land pretty much anyone else lower than 5th...but I suppose being the defending world champion has its advantages (among other things). Her choreography and lines are obviously very good, so I understand the PC scores somewhat...but doesn't falling on a jump and landing on your a$$ sort of break the mood of the program somewhat?

daniel1406

Rinkside
"It appears you are speechless because you are not familiar with how our sport actually works, this isn't swimming."

I've never compared figure skating to swimming. I was simply referring to Asian swimmers who train in Australia to show you Yuna didn't break up with Brian "abruptly". their contract ended.

You said "many Canadians are still offended by the lack of tact she showed when she abruptly broke up with Orser after the Olympics despite that Canada nurtured and supported her for all those years even though she was a big rival to Joannie Rochette (without Yu Na, Rochette would have won Worlds in 2009)".
and I just said that I wouldn't say my country is nurturing and supporting those Asian swimmers.

"They were the live witnesses and were in a much better position to judge than people who watched it over some scratchy feed with pixel and unstable connections issues. Some people in the crowd are very knowledgeable and experienced based on decades on involvement with the sport, including many former / current skaters, officials (e.g. British Team officials sat behind us during the OD and they were dissecting the level on Virtue/Moir's twizzle) . With a bunch of them together, very few errors in single skating can escape their eyes. In this case, I feel this London crowd really knows their stuff well, those are some pretty hard-core people who are willing to pay thousands of dollars for these tickets + travel and accommodation not just some $12 streaming sites or free internet links."

I agree the people who were in the actual game are in a much better position to judge. And many of them, understandably, would be experts in figure skating world. But it doesn't mean that people like me who watch the competition on TV or on the internet have to be silent and should not try to judge nor express our opinions.

"Interesting, where did you get this fact from? Because you say so? I provided my assessment on the jump and sometimes, I don't agree with the Tech Panel as was the case with Kevin Reynolds last night but I don't need anyone else to tell me how to render a call. It doesn't make my opinion a fact and I don't expect everyone to agree. You need to understand Figure Skating is not a sport where decisions are made with the precision of a Rolex timer. It's entirely possible a different panel would have called it differently. Yu Na, had in the past, being on both sides of such call. Sometimes, she got lucky, other times, a case could be made that the call was too strict. That's why there are 3 people on the Technical Panel and the majority wins where a consensus is not possible."

As you don't agree with the tech panel in some case, I simply don't agree them on Asada's 3A. Just like you said your opinion might not be a fact and you don't expect everyone to agree, it is my opinion which might not be necessarily a fact and I don't expect everyone to agree.
I understand decisions can't be made with the precision of a Rolex timer, I strongly believe that the same standards should be applied to all of skaters in the same competition - I don't think it's not that difficult to judge players fairly in the same competition (e.g. if judges were to be really generous in giving PCS, they, at least, try to be generous toward ALL not just to specific players.)

"FYI, there is no such thing as a "tech judge" in Figure Skating. I appreciate you want to learn more about our sport but clearly, there is still a lot you don't know. And I am pretty sure in Australia, you guys also require solid evidence before you can reasonably accuse other people of cheating so what evidences do you hold?"

I accept the fact that there may be lots of things that I still don't know about figure skating as I'm not an expert like some of you guys are.
I was referring to tech panel.
But I never accused someone of cheating. I simply stated fact that I don't agree with Asada's mark on her 3A (esp. +GOE). Because "to me" it was under-rotated. Again, as you said my opinion might not be a fact and I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

"I am not surprised, I don't think even Yu Na fans here would want to associate themselves with you because you clearly don't have enough knowledge about our sport to be throwing out these serious accusations on the judging."

I don't expect any Yuna fans to support me or anything -_-
I just expressed my opinions.
And as far as I understand, yes everyone is entitled to express their own opinions and everyone here is entitled not to agree with the judges.

Also since when figure skating is YOUR sport? so I'm not entitled to enjoy figure skating as I'm so ignorant in that kind of fancy sports compared to someone like you who is so expert? I'm not totally ignorant in this sport. I know the rules, more than enough to express my own opinions.

if you were interested in swimming, cricket or AFL, you CAN express your own opinions even if you were not an expert. And I would be happy that you are loving those sports. I would NEVER ever say those sports belong to only a specific group of people. Every sports is there for anyone to enjoy.

flaneur

On the Ice
Quick question. Watching Kim in the K&C and after skate interview, she seemed a little 'off'... her complexion was a bit sallow and she was really low energy (which as much as I liked her performance felt was the case during the SP too). Is she sick? or return to competition nerves? or am I just seeing things?

daniel1406

Rinkside
Quick question. Watching Kim in the K&C and after skate interview, she seemed a little 'off'... her complexion was a bit sallow and she was really low energy (which as much as I liked her performance felt was the case during the SP too). Is she sick? or return to competition nerves? or am I just seeing things?

I've noticed that as well. she was short of breath after sp. I suppose she was so nervous.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

It could be the foundation or the bronzer she put on. It seems like she's experimenting a little more with makeup this year and with her lighter hair color, the blush/bronzer stands out more.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I believe there was an argument on whether or not she got a ratified standing ovation as well--no joke.

let's be fair and clear, it is a few vocal Yuna-antis (I am sure you can name them) who were trying to stir up controversy.

I saw the entire SP, and Yuna got the second largest ovation for her performance after Osmond, including many standing ovation from at least the lower section of the arena. Of course, ovation for Osmond was much larger, which is totally expected and natural, given the home court advantage. But then, someone just had to spin this to make a point about how much Yuna must be hated in Canada due to Osrser breakup and therefore, that explained her lukewarm reception.... which wasn't even factually true.

There are skaters I dislike in terms of style, presentation, etc. (but I don't really personally hate any of them as they are all marvelous athletes), but I never go around solely trying to bash or put down a skater I do not like.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
let's be fair and clear, it is a few vocal Yuna-antis (I am sure you can name them) who were trying to stir up controversy.

I saw the entire SP, and Yuna got the second largest ovation for her performance after Osmond, including many standing ovation from at least the lower section of the arena. Of course, ovation for Osmond was much larger, which is totally expected and natural, given the home court advantage. But then, someone just had to spin this to make a point about how much Yuna must be hated in Canada due to Osrser breakup and therefore, that explained her lukewarm reception.... which wasn't even factually true. .

Yeah, see ... I don't care about all that. I just think it's completely ridiculous to argue whether or not a skater (ANY skater) received a standing ovation from enough of the audience for it (65%, 75%, whatever) to be said that the whole stadium was on its feet or whatever the argument was. Something about standing ovation = skater should be placed higher in standings too? :confused::scowl::sarcasm:

Standing ovations should not be a criteria for whether or not a skater's performance should be praised, dammit!

ETA: I just dragged myself into that mess, didn't I? Well, here's a picture of the SP's top three to make up for it!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151493477167378&set=a.10151484744687378.1073741825.53417067377&type=3&theater

chloepoco

Medalist

I saw the entire SP, and Yuna got the second largest ovation for her performance after Osmond, including many standing ovation from at least the lower section of the arena. Of course, ovation for Osmond was much larger, which is totally expected and natural, given the home court advantage. But then, someone just had to spin this to make a point about how much Yuna must be hated in Canada due to Osrser breakup and therefore, that explained her lukewarm reception.... which wasn't even factually true.

There are skaters I dislike in terms of style, presentation, etc. (but I don't really personally hate any of them as they are all marvelous athletes), but I never go around solely trying to bash or put down a skater I do not like.

On the other hand, some fans are too extreme and take things a little too personally. As far as standing ovations go, can we drop it already? Who the heck cares?

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Yes, it's quite silly.

Anyway, my further two cents on the competition:

Yuna: I agree with general consensus that she was underscored... at least by 3-4 points. But if that is penalty for (i) not participating through full seasons, (ii) choosing difficult/unpopular music that is difficult to get into and (iii) any backlash in Canada from Orser breakup / political forces (if there really is such a thing), then so be it. In contrast, her Les Mis LP should have a wider public appeal, and I think she is in a good position to present a dramatic finale.

Mao: As I much as I want Yuna to win her 2nd World Title, I do feel sorry for Mao. Maybe it's a mental issue as some said, but there is no denying that pound for pound, she is one of the true greats.

Kaetlyn & Graice: They are tremendous talents. The future of figure skating looks bright with these two, and I see them as the next torchbearers after Yuna & Mao. Kaetlyn is currently ahead of Gold in artistry/presentation department and she does remind me a lot of Joannie, but given more experience and training in artistic interpretation, I see Gracie's upside as bigger. 2018 may well come down to these two, and I can see Gold winning the OGM in 2018. I will be pulling for her big time tomorrow.

Art&Sport

Medalist
BTW, what happened to Elene G? Is it just competition nerves and pressing too hard. She looks so fit and she started out the season superbly well with her Schindler's List sp. But at Worlds, she just teeter-tottered on everything and then the disastrous crash on the spin just sealed her fate. She should have at least qualified for the lp. Is something not right in her personal life, I wonder?

Where does Elene go from here?

BTW, what happened to Elene G? Is it just competition nerves and pressing too hard. She looks so fit and she started out the season superbly well with her Schindler's List sp. But at Worlds, she just teeter-tottered on everything and then the disastrous crash on the spin just sealed her fate. She should have at least qualified for the lp. Is something not right in her personal life, I wonder?

Where does Elene go from here?

I feel very bad about Elene. I have always liked her, and I also love that she's from a country that doesn't normally do well in skating; diversity is always an asset to skating. I hope that this is just a temporary setback and that she'll rebound next season. But this has to be so tough, especially for someone who carries pretty much her country's entire skating program on her shoulders.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Yuna KIM (KOR) - 69.97 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 66.86 Short Program, 2nd Copy, Interview
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 66.64 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 64.73 Short Program
5. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 63.98 Short Program
6. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 62.10 Short Program
7. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 61.17 Short Program
8. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 59.62 Short Program
9. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 58.85 Short Program
10. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 58.36 Short Program
11. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 56.90 Short Program
12. Zijun LI (CHN) - 56.31 Short Program
13. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 56.30 Short Program
14. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 54.72 Short Program
15. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 54.59 Short Program
16. Sonia LAFUENTE (ESP) - 52.44 Short Program
17. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 51.67 Short Program
18. Jenna MCCORKELL (GBR) - 51.23 Short Program
19. Monika SIMANCIKOVA (SVK) - 51.18 Short Program
20. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 50.62 Short Program
21. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 50.41 Short Program
22. Kerstin FRANK (AUT) - 49.66 Short Program
23. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 48.80 Short Program
24. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 48.14 Short program
25. Isadora WILLIAMS (BRA) - 46.63 Short Program
26. Anita MADSEN (DEN) - 46.16 Short Program
27. Carol BRESSANUTTI (ITA) - 44.51 Short Program
28. Kaat VAN DAELE (BEL) - 42.51 Short Program
29. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 42.40 Short Program
30. Tina STUERZINGER (SUI) - 42.36 Short Program
31. Juulia TURKKILA (FIN) - 40.70 Short Program
32. Anne Line GJERSEM (NOR) - 38.53 Short Program
33. Inga JANULEVICIUTE (LTU) - 36.79 Short Program
34. Patricia GLESCIC (SLO) - 36.66 Short Program
35. Alina FJODOROVA (LAT) - 36.44 Short Program

berrycute

On the Ice

Thanks for making this board a less welcoming place for people to talk about things you personally aren't interested in. I'll be sure to run all future post ideas by you before I say anything ever again.