Jason Brown | Page 645 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Btw it appears that the top six singles skaters are appearing. ...

I would love to be wrong, but FWIW, Kaori :luv17: was not on the gala list that I saw. :sad4: :ghug:

Happy that Jason will skate in the gala. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That's too bad. I wonder if she declined. The other top 6 in singles appear to be listed.

I do not know whether Kaori declined.

Off topic, and only my speculation/theory, but it always has seemed to me that the ISU and/or LOCs do make some effort to promote geographic diversity in the gala cast.

So it seems to me that a partial motivation for inviting 7th place Eunsoo would be for Republic of Korea to be represented among ladies? JMO.
(Not to mention that Eunsoo is deservedly popular in her own right.)

noskates

Record Breaker
Again - probably prejudiced - but I think there would be a mass exodus if Jason was not invited to the gala in his own country unless he had totally bombed.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hi all!

Sorry for not posting earlier, but I didn’t have a practice pass, and was so tired by the time I got to the venue that I barely made it through the final group - only my love for Jason kept me there. So basically, I saw Jason in the 6 minute warm up and when he did his program.

Shallow stuff first: not sure if I was too tired to care or if I’ve just gotten used to it, but the costume didn’t seem so terrible this time out. Is it my favorite? No. But happily - since there’s no sign it will be different at Worlds - I’ve made my peace with it. As you probably could see, his hair is a bit longer than it’s been, and it looks really nice. In contrast to the SP, where he parts it, in the FS he just wears it naturally, and it’s really flattering. He and his hair actually look a bit like a young Art Garfunkel, though again happily (IMO) the hair is a bit shorter than AG’s. And I hope it stays that way!

http://www.capecentralhigh.com/wp-c...Simon-and-Garfunkel-concert-10-29-1968-36.jpg

Regarding the warmup: overall, he looked really good - except for the 4S, which he attempted maybe 4 times? He popped almost all the attempts but one, on which he fell - I’m guessing it was < but couldn’t tell for sure. Otherwise, he looked very focused (more than in the SP), landed his other jumps cleanly, and had real nice flow.

As with the costume, I’ve made my peace with the program (I have to laugh, but on the drive back to my hotel in LA, I kept hearing it over and over - probably a good thing as it kept me awake). The only thing I will say is that it’s very reflective, and even the uptempo section doesn’t have quite the same some musical impact as some of the other skaters’ music choices, which really engage people immediately and half carry the performances. I can see why they chose this music, but I would love to see him go back to something more dramatic next year - perhaps a lushly orchestrated movie score.

So my thoughts on this actual skate: really good job! He’s made huge strides in giving a cohesive performance, and he really engages you from the moment he starts. His flow across the ice and beautifully controlled movements in the opening section are quite magical. The quad attempt in the program, though imperfect, was better than anything I saw in the warmup, which is great - and I particularly noticed that he didn’t slow down or hesitate going into it. His 3A-3T was really nice, but my favorite was the 3L-2Lo-2Lo, which he attacked with confidence and no hesitation. If he can channel that same confidence and attack on the 4S, I think it will be gorgeous.

As to the rest of it, I would say that overall this hasn’t reached the same level as the SP at Nats - that is, there’s still room for improvement - but when he gets there, I think his PCS in this program will rise. I noticed a slight drop off in energy in the second half of the program (it could be I was tired, but I think it was more than that, bc although the audience obviously liked it - and they just love him - there wasn’t that electric feeling when he was done). If I’m being really picky (who, me?) his trademark catchfoot camel was a bit slower than we’re used to seeing it, and the footwork was not quite as crisp as it could be. But considering the short time span between Nats and 4CCs, it’s not at all surprising. I think it was huge for him to actually go for the 4S instead of popping it, and I’m really excited to see how the quad and the program progress at Worlds!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for the detailed report, Tavi:clap:

Sorry you were tired, but glad you managed to stay awake for Jason:biggrin:

noskates

Record Breaker
Tavi, thank you. Good observations even through tired eyes. I think for me the best thing was he seemed so pleased with his performance. I'll never forget the look on his face after the long program at Nats in 2018. This time it was a happy face.

Ross74

Medalist
Thanks for the report, Tavi! I knew someone would bring up the Art Garfunkel hair. :laugh: Get some rest!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the report, Tavi! I knew someone would bring up the Art Garfunkel hair. :laugh: Get some rest!

Let’s go to the completely silly: I think the use of product has been diminishing over the season. Maybe he needed to use it up? I quite approve of the natural look :yes:

Ross74

Medalist
Let’s go to the completely silly: I think the use of product has been diminishing over the season. Maybe he needed to use it up? I quite approve of the natural look :yes:

Yes! The curls were there with product during the LP at Nats, but this time, longer hair with little or no product. Wonder what we'll see at Worlds. As long as he doesn't end up like this . :laugh: Sorry, just saw Bohemian Rhapsody for the third time.

Tavi, are you staying for the Gala?

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi all!
As to the rest of it, I would say that overall this hasn’t reached the same level as the SP at Nats - that is, there’s still room for improvement - but when he gets there, I think his PCS in this program will rise. I noticed a slight drop off in energy in the second half of the program (it could be I was tired, but I think it was more than that, bc although the audience obviously liked it - and they just love him - there wasn’t that electric feeling when he was done). If I’m being really picky (who, me?) his trademark catchfoot camel was a bit slower than we’re used to seeing it, and the footwork was not quite as crisp as it could be. But considering the short time span between Nats and 4CCs, it’s not at all surprising. I think it was huge for him to actually go for the 4S instead of popping it, and I’m really excited to see how the quad and the program progress at Worlds!

It's my theory that Jason was still on EST and he (and Cha) were tired. It was after 1 AM EST! That is late! The same was true for Jason in the short. It was late. I think that's why he had some trouble with the 3A and why he wasn't as energetic in the 2nd half of the program. Add to that the fact that he just came off Nationals and it's enough to make anyone a little tired. I expect that we'll see a much peppier Jason at World's. I hope they'll show up early in Japan and try to get used to the time. Some of those skates can be the middle of the night EST.

So glad that you didn't see any slowdown or hesitation going into that 4S. I thought he was a little slow going into it, but that was on the computer screen. You can't really gauge the speed across the ice unless you see it live. You are absolutely right that if he can attack the 4S the way he has been attacking his other jumps, he'll be great! I wish I could watch the gala. Hoping someone has a stream.

Imov

Medalist
I hope so too that they arrive early and adjust to the time in Worlds. I hope he lands is first quad Sal in Saitama.

doublequad

On the Ice
Rewatched his FS. His second 3A looked like he tensed up and double footed it like his axels at 2018 US nats. I was streaming the practice and got nervous too cuz he kept popping his 4S but i'm glad he went for it and relied on his training. It looked good and he didn't seem apprehensive going in. The UR was unfortunate but at least it looked close. Really hope he lands a clean one for worlds.

geralynnk

Spectator
Yes, I saw the list on Twitter and he is invited.

It’s not a gala without Jason:biggrin:

And I know this isn’t his FF, but I am over the moon that Donovan was also invited. He has performance chops in the Jason tradition. So happy:clap:

Sorry so late in replying, but thanks for the info regarding the Gala. Totally agree that the Gala wouldn't have been the same without Jason. I have faith that a fully rotated quad is right around the corner for him. He has far too much talent and skating quality
not to be competing at the highest level.

So happy that Donovan was invited as well. He has so much potential and knows how to wow a crowd. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
(please excuse the jetlagged rambling)

he was so wonderful <3 my only goal for my trip was to see him skate beautifully and he granted my wish twice <3 i was so proud of him all i wanted him to do was pull in on the salchow and he did and ok it was a little bit ur but i didn't mind truly because he kept going and everything else was so flawless and i loved it <3 i feel so lucky that i got to see him skate in person and if you have the chance and haven't yet i do recommend, he is wonderful and you won't regret it <3