Jason Brown | Page 656 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
That was an incredible short. I don't think it's too much to say that if Jason can get a quad or two under his belt, he would easily be in medal contention no matter what the competition level. I hope he does, but if not I'll love him anyway. His skating is just. too. gorgeous.

This is actually such valid perspective - I think that the incredible success of that SP/today's performance of it has to be also a part of some new 'mindset' given to Jason in TCC: that he firstly has to convince himself of all people that he is that guy who's capable of great things, who can be confident over image/particularity of style & skill he represents and just LET PEOPLE NOTICE IT. The SP works so well not only as a vehicle match aesthetically, but it gives Jason that boost and confirmation about his worth. Going with that kind of impression and result into the FS should help him realize that it is definitely worthy to work on that quad, especially from purely competitive point of view, BUT being yet unsuccessful with it does not undermine him as a skater in general. Actually, the opposite I think - that SP showed the world what quality figure skating could look like and be enjoyable without a quad and if he pulls off a FS with similar level of finesse in performance/quality over everything concerned he still be rewarded. I know some folks will try to bury him due to his quad lack, but that kind of dismissive argument is getting old and stale in light of new GOE system & consistency issues among 'quad squad', there's just too many pros over that one thing in Jason to deny him points and results.

noskates

Record Breaker
Couldn't agree more with NoNameFace. Jason has returned us to pre-quad days when a beautiful skate marked an excellent elite skater rather than a bunch of underrotated and often splatting quads. Just finished watching the broadcast and I honestly don't know when I've seen Jason skate better. He was one with the music and every beat had a commensurate movement. Rohene "gets" Jason and showcases his strengths. Much as I respect David Wilson - PLEASE let Rohene continue to choreograph Jason's programs! But probably my most favorite moment was the TV showing Brian jumping up and down with his arms in the air when Jason landed his triple triple!!! I do believe Jason has won him over!

I will also add that I thoroughly enjoyed Nathan's performance. The US kicked butt today!

rosacotton

Final Flight
OH WOW!!!! I am so happy for him. Wasn't expecting that result at all!:yahoo:

Good luck in the free, Jason! (And no matter what happens, you will always have a small world silver medal. :yes:)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason is a skater's skater. I'm so glad this new GOE system really rewards every quality movement he does. So happy he will go home with a small silver medal.

Glad his coaching change has paid off so far!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jason is last in the fs. Talk about drama.
Jason is so often last. He knows how to do it. :clap:

What a wonderful program, and he skated it beautifully! I never expected him to snag a small medal! I just watched his Riverdance skate and his jumps are so much better now :love:

I just love the nuance in the transitions in his second spin, especially. They are so expressive of the music.

Tracy must be so happy.

Last edited:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
damn these god damn competitions clashing with my time zone. the men's short started at the exact time I had to leave to drive to work, so I resorted to watching jason's skate in the toilet, with my headphones in at work :laugh: :sad4: but alas i aM SO PROUD OF MY SON!! SECOND! SECOND IN THE SHORT!! I nearly choked when I saw he was above Hanyu!! He was flawless, I'm so happy for him. Is2g I'll sell my soul for him to podium here at Worlds

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Couldn't agree more with NoNameFace. Jason has returned us to pre-quad days when a beautiful skate marked an excellent elite skater rather than a bunch of underrotated and often splatting quads. Just finished watching the broadcast and I honestly don't know when I've seen Jason skate better. He was one with the music and every beat had a commensurate movement. Rohene "gets" Jason and showcases his strengths. Much as I respect David Wilson - PLEASE let Rohene continue to choreograph Jason's programs! But probably my most favorite moment was the TV showing Brian jumping up and down with his arms in the air when Jason landed his triple triple!!! I do believe Jason has won him over!

I will also add that I thoroughly enjoyed Nathan's performance. The US kicked butt today!

Jason won Brian over in France. Brian values him for so many reasons and has said so. His work ethic, his support of and friendship with Zhenya when she most needed it and beyond, his mature and positive influence in the training team, his skating skills, his willingness to be open and his determination to meet and exceed expectations on so many levels. If anyone can master a quad at 24, it will be Jason. He's missing one key connection from brain to body, but when that finally connects he will have it. I'm hoping and praying for tomorrow! I'll be on the road, but I have Gold on my phone and hope to catch the FS live. I'll be a nervous wreck, but if he lands that jump and skates clean, listen for shrieks coming from the east coast! It will be me!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jason is so often last. He knows how to do it. :clap:

What a wonderful program, and he skated it beautifully! I never expected him to snag a small medal! I just watched his Riverdance skate and his jumps are so much better now :love:

I just love the nuance in the transitions in his second spin, especially. They are so expressive of the music.

Tracy must be so happy.

Did you hear Tracy in the K&C? She exhaled, beamed and said "That was fun!" She was so proud! And Brian just looks like he keeps making a new discovery every time Jason skates well.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I am hoping more than realizing the treasure they have in Jason (which Tracey always did and I think Brian now does too) is realizing the treasure that Rohene's choreo can be for Jason.

As was said earlier, and I agree totally, this team needs to stay together for at least one program.

Hopefully Jason will use his newfound assertiveness to make that happen:yes:

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Did you have any thoughts about Jason himself at Worlds? It’s kind of interesting to me that about half the predictions leave him out of the top 6 entirely.

Initially I didn't have him pegged for top 6 but some of the faves are struggling and Brown put out a sublime SP, he could hang on for bronze tomorrow - hoping for a breakthrough from him, and to land that 4S!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jason was absolutely incredible in the SP!!

Performance of the night for sure, I bet 1000 more people fell in love with his skating after that!

This short program just gets me everytime, the choreography is everything :love: I must have watched it at least twenty times now, but I still find myself rewinding bits to watch over and over again. It all just looks effortless!

And his lutz in that combo - wow! the delayed rotation makes my heart sing :yahoo:

He's up 2000 followers on Instagram now. That SP opened a lot of eyes! He hasn't been at World's for 2 years, and he's changed a lot in those 2 years. It's like watching a new skater for a lot of people.

Ross74

Medalist
Can't make it through all of the free dance tonight. Sending Jason lots of hugs and good wishes for the long!

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
feel physically sick from nerves about this free. having to take myself out of my house so I don't have the opportunity to watch it because i'm so god damn anxious for jason... land that quad and go clean please son!!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Awake and watching live, but have to leave for a road trip at 6:30 EDT, which is before Jason skates. So will be trying to watch on my phone (I'm not the driver) in an area with bad reception. Hoping to see the skate. I'll be sending good vibes. He marked his Sal in the runthru, so we'll see how this goes. I say go for it if 3 spots aren't in jeopardy! I expect the last flight to be in great form. GO JASON!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Bad case of nerves but Jason is still smiling.. he deserves a hug!! Back to the drawing board and the work continues... Jason hates disappointing others. I think that the mistakes, 4S aside, can only come from stress, skating last with so much expectation piled on after a stellar short. Some focus is warranted on mindset to keep emotion in check under such conditions. He has managed to hold things together in such situations before but adding the new jump training to that scenerio must be a heavy burden... looks like Nathan has faith in him tho which I am sure means alot to Jason and placing 9th at WC after his first season with new coaches is super in my book... I am a fan forever!

Amy Zara

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Jason should be super proud of his top 10 finish! this season hasn't been the easiest, but he's come out of it with a smile and he looks stronger than ever and like he'll keep fighting for that quad sal! such a shame he couldn't end his season by landing it, but i'm confident the best is yet to come with him. :luv17:

i know it's super early, but i can't help but get excited for what his programs will be like for next season! i really hope they keep the smooth, sensual vibe from the short - he is unstoppable in that style!

noskates

Record Breaker
You'd have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to be rattled skating last after those 2 incredible performances. There is still so much hope for the future though. He'll have another year of this coaching staff under his belt and he's moving forward.

I'm really proud of Nathan and I think the US men have a lot to look forward to.

Hugs to Jason!

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
Great season, Jason. Considering all the changes he's gone through and still is going through, this season has been a success.

I hope for awesome programs for the next season, and maybe even see him in one of his ice shows during the off season :)

reneerose

Final Flight
Sooo superproud of Jason!!! Good concentration skating last. A great placement at Worlds and I"m super excited to see his continuing developments next season!