Jason Brown | Page 663 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I never seriously thought it would be Rohene / David Wilson working together - just a joke. :) The idea for Zhenya/Rohene came to me when I saw her doing a spiral - it made me realize there’s so much she can probably do that we’ve never seen her do. And of course, the same is true with Jason, so it does make sense for him to continue to branch out from Rohene.

In one way, I think it’s a good idea for him to do another program with Wilson - as has been said, he will now have a better idea of what Jason can do, and hopefully that means something more inspired by / tailored to Jason and not quite so generic. I understand that this program was intended to stretch Jason, and it did have some really lovely moments. I also agree that the 4S probably impacted his performances. But overall I still don’t think it was a great program. IMO, even if he had skated it perfectly, it wouldn’t have had the impact of, say, the Piano.

But anyway, hopefully they will build on what they learned this year and the music and costume will be more beautiful.

And I really hope he shares more this year instead of making us wait til the season starts! :)

I agree totally that the S&G freeskate was never going to have the impact of the Piano. That S&G freeskate even skated at his best, was not as compelling as The Piano. The Step sequence never integrated perfectly with the program and often seemed rushed. And when it seemed rushed, Jason got a Level 3. Jason should not be getting level 3s in step sequence! And the opening was lackluster. But I was really impressed at how much Jason brought to that program when he was skating it well. It looked pretty good at Nats. It was very good at 4CCs, but it didn't work at World's for whatever reason. His short worked well, even when he wasn't skating his best. Rohene's choreo is amazing and works for Jason. I'll give David all the credit he deserves if he can come up with something compelling for Jason this year.

I think Zhenya could skate beautifully to Rohene's choreo. But I don't know if they would be happy working with each other. It might be fun to find out. Maybe an exhibition program? She certainly worked very well with Misha. Misha definitely got her! She is so brilliant and so focused and she knows what works for her, but I give her so much credit for trying new things. She, like Jason, is fully on board with the new technique and from what she said, Jason is a big reason why she is all in. She sees him improving so much and she believes in it.

Looking forward to next season! And it looks like I may be going to World's! So I want Jason to be there!

Ross74

Medalist
I hope Jason will assert himself with his LP this season, if that is the one Wilson is doing. If he doesn't like a piece of music, I hope he owns that and doesn't give in, and keeps looking for something that inspires him. Even though I was optimistic about S&G at first, I came to loathe the music, mainly because 3/4 of it was drearily slow and was putting me to sleep. And I'm a fan of the musical duo, just not for skating at this time and for this skater and with these cuts. He should at least have music that he loves and that might energize him, and the crowd, even if the opening quad isn't there.

noskates

Record Breaker
I can see why Jason didn't push back too hard on S&G. He was new to the team, probably was a little wary of Brian and where his place was in the group, etc. Next to S&G my least favorite program was The Room Where It Happens. Even after seeing Hamilton recently I didn't like the music any better so maybe (bwahahah) Jason doesn't always know what's best for him. Just suggesting. But I do agree that now that the "team" knows him better and what he's capable of doing I would hope that his music is a better fit. His SP was masterful and clearly Rohene knows what he's doing.

As for Med being choreographed by Rohene - he's done a pretty good job of choreographing Mariah Bell's programs. I think Med has the same kind of spunk and personality on the ice now.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I loved that Chicago choreo that Rohene did for Mariah. I thought it was by far the best program she's skated to. I don't have a problem with Hamilton. I think the Step Sequence was terrific. In the early stages of the development of the program, Rohene choreographed the Russian Split in a second of silence in the music and the split punctuated the music really well. But later versions lost that timing in order to move the jumps around. But it was brilliant choreography and Jason got good scores for it. I think Jason will assert himself more this year than last. He's more confident and the relationship with Tracy and Brian has blossomed.

Ross74

Medalist
I can see why Jason didn't push back too hard on S&G. He was new to the team, probably was a little wary of Brian and where his place was in the group, etc. Next to S&G my least favorite program was The Room Where It Happens. Even after seeing Hamilton recently I didn't like the music any better so maybe (bwahahah) Jason doesn't always know what's best for him. Just suggesting. But I do agree that now that the "team" knows him better and what he's capable of doing I would hope that his music is a better fit. His SP was masterful and clearly Rohene knows what he's doing.

Room Where it Happened isn't what I wanted for a Hamilton program. I think that music was a poor choice for skating and the program was a tad too campy IMO, but he skated it so well, and the enthusiasm he showed when doing it was contagious. I smiled every time I watched it.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Thanks so much, Zaki - great interview!

I have to say, I was a little concerned to hear Brian say that Jason asks him whether / when to put on/take off his team jacket, skates, etc. - to me it shows a striking lack of self-confidence (not just deference to Brian) for someone who is a seasoned competitor. The good thing is that he seems aware that a lack of confidence is impacting him, but I wonder if he’s aware of how deep it runs. Because I do worry that unless he stops trying to please and becomes more self confident personally, he’ll always be that “almost” guy.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Happy that Rohene is still on board, less than pleased that Wilson is also still on board. Let's hope someone gives him a hint that he's working with the most beautifully artistic skater in the world and that said skater deserves better than bland, boring, dull programs.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Happy that Rohene is still on board, less than pleased that Wilson is also still on board. Let's hope someone gives him a hint that he's working with the most beautifully artistic skater in the world and that said skater deserves better than bland, boring, dull programs.

Hopefully three someones: Jason, Brian and Tracy.

lilsailor

On the Ice
fingers crossed the david program is the exhibition i guess 😂😂

i reeeeeally want jason to work with jeffrey buttle to be honest, or even misha ge 👀

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks so much, Zaki - great interview!

I have to say, I was a little concerned to hear Brian say that Jason asks him whether / when to put on/take off his team jacket, skates, etc. - to me it shows a striking lack of self-confidence (not just deference to Brian) for someone who is a seasoned competitor. The good thing is that he seems aware that a lack of confidence is impacting him, but I wonder if he’s aware of how deep it runs. Because I do worry that unless he stops trying to please and becomes more self confident personally, he’ll always be that “almost” guy.

That struck me about the jacket too, but I alsothought of it as Jason's total eagerness to learn, as well as to please. As in, OK, maybe keeping my jacket on (or not) is something that will help my skating.

I did love Brian's sweet, deadpan nature when asked about the jacket: "Well, I don't know. Are you warm?":biggrin:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
That struck me about the jacket too, but I alsothought of it as Jason's total eagerness to learn, as well as to please. As in, OK, maybe keeping my jacket on (or not) is something that will help my skating.

I did love Brian's sweet, deadpan nature when asked about the jacket: "Well, I don't know. Are you warm?":biggrin:

I guess if he was talking specifically about the FS at Worlds, I could see it as a symptom of anxiety due to being in medal position at Worlds for the first time. But let me put it this way: can you see Evgenia asking Brian when to take her jacket off and whether to take off her skates? :) Me neither. You can respect and learn from someone without trying to “please” them, and frankly, Jason should know what his own body needs by now if he’s skating last. I know that sounds harsh, but I don’t think being eager to please is without consequences for him.

I’m sure being in medal position (however unrealistic), and skating right after Yuzu and Nathan laid down those skates, probably rattled him more than usual (maybe it’s the revenge of Ricky Dornbush for Riverdance at 2014 Nats? :) ) But basically, I think there’s a huge difference in the mindset of a people pleaser / perfect student and a gritty competitor / winner, and he hasn’t figured out how to navigate the difference consistently yet. I think that’s maybe why we saw the mistakes pile on. Hopefully it was just a blip, predictable step back after a big step forward and it’s something he’ll be able to figure out overcome overcome going toward.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Haha, Orser tone sounded more surprised to me when relating the story.
Like - 'huh? At 24(or in Orser's mind 22ish) you're asking me abt this basic things? '
I cannot imagine Yuzuru asking Orser that even at age 17. Evgenia maybe, cos her previous coaching environmental everything's prescribed.

When Jason mentioned in an interview that now he's changed the way he does his 6 min warm-up, I thought it was the elements he practiced, how hard to practice, go all out or just mark jumps.
Orser is a detailed person, in the early years Yuzuru said Orser gave him detailed instructions what to practice during the 6 min warm up.

I certainly dont expect detailed instructions to include putting on or taking off jacket & skates, lol.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I hope Jason will assert himself with his LP this season, if that is the one Wilson is doing. If he doesn't like a piece of music, I hope he owns that and doesn't give in, and keeps looking for something that inspires him. Even though I was optimistic about S&G at first, I came to loathe the music, mainly because 3/4 of it was drearily slow and was putting me to sleep. And I'm a fan of the musical duo, just not for skating at this time and for this skater and with these cuts. He should at least have music that he loves and that might energize him, and the crowd, even if the opening quad isn't there.

For me, S&G FS was a challenging concept in definitely more ways than just a program or performance - and in my case, the thing was that I acknowledged how challenging the choice was for Jason, in the light of all changes made in his coaching and choreography areas, that there was a lot to take at once and make it to be seen as a progress, BUT after reflecting on this whole season I think that I've never fully accept that 'lack of balance' between SP and FS in terms of conviction, not even creation of it.

I do believe that this FS needed maybe a 'step-back-and-thank' moment in some part of the season in terms of reflecting Jason's incredible maturity and progress done in his SP - at this point, I DO HOPE that lessons will be learned to definitely not make Jason a 'one-trick-pony' repertoire-wise, but to give his challenge more gradually and carefully, to push the challenge alongside polish and refinement of things he already does so well. Depending on where quad progress/other improvements technically-speaking will be before new season, I wish that FS (or the program that will be more 'challenging' out of two/with more novelty added to it) will take a vein of equally showcasing Jason's refinement in skill and fact that he tries to improve, not only making casual viewers seeing challenges with quads or music they may not instantly like for a skating program. At the same time...I wish that there is no 'overthinking' factor in the process of making that FS/program happen - I know it may sound like cutting it short a bit, but I would love to see maybe a less 'challenging'/'out-there' music choice for FS, more 'streamlined' cuts and introducing just more interpretational/movement-wise nuance factor into choreography Jason would thrive to develop in, working on quad/stable and consistent technical execution at the same time. Jason for me is a skater who can give a shape and particular character to 'abstract' kind of music and who can get into character of more 'defined' music type, he just need a right space to 'click' things between them and time to do so - I know that there will be pressure it won't get easier, but I would like to see him thriving equally in both programs in artistic/performance sense, getting out that 'roundness' in music and movement, regardless of technical execution success or if people like music he skates to.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Since Jason's sister chose his SP music this year, maybe she should choose his SP and FP music next season..... :biggrin: she seems to have acute insight about what works for him unless this season's SP music was a fluke...

Ross74

Medalist
Since Jason's sister chose his SP music this year, maybe she should choose his SP and FP music next season..... :biggrin: she seems to have acute insight about what works for him unless this season's SP music was a fluke...

In my dreams, she has already picked out the music for both programs. :laugh:

.... I know it may sound like cutting it short a bit, but I would love to see maybe a less 'challenging'/'out-there' music choice for FS, more 'streamlined' cuts and introducing just more interpretational/movement-wise nuance factor into choreography Jason would thrive to develop in, working on quad/stable and consistent technical execution at the same time. Jason for me is a skater who can give a shape and particular character to 'abstract' kind of music and who can get into character of more 'defined' music type, he just need a right space to 'click' things between them and time to do so - I know that there will be pressure it won't get easier, but I would like to see him thriving equally in both programs in artistic/performance sense, getting out that 'roundness' in music and movement, regardless of technical execution success or if people like music he skates to.

Though not the FS, one of my favorite programs of Jason's was to Writings on the Wall. In my mind, there was something more simple about the choreography that still included all of the wonderful things that Jason can do. And it's weird that I say that because as a former dancer, I tend to love the heavily choreographed numbers with complex footwork and transitions, but at the same time, I'm torn between thinking that a less complex program is better, to take the pressure off of only thinking about the quad, or if more simple is better, to focus more on the quad. Having the time for something to click is very important for Jason. Learning choreography is hard for him, as he has said. He needs to get the programs very early. He had Love is a B for six months before competing it for the first time at ACI. I just hope he has a FS this season that works for him, for whatever reason, and I hope it gets choreographed very soon.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
https://www.teamusa.org/News/2019/A...tagaya-Youngsters-Ahead-Of-2020-Olympic-Games

Really nice article on Jason’s post world activities in Japan! ...

:agree: Very nice article.
I literally laughed out loud at the colorful mention of Jason teaching the hokey-pokey :dance2: to the schoolkids. What a fun detail :laugh:. Demonstrating the moves and singing the song in Japanese both would be right up his alley.

I share the love for Jordan Cowan :bow: and On Ice Perspectives :luv17:.

A bit of bkgd for recording the blades audio with the mics on Jason's skates: Apparently for a previous take, the mic packs flew out of Jason's pants during a spin :eek:. That's why we see Jason holding them in his hands as the solution :cool:.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks @Ross74 for reminding me about Writings on the Wall, I definitely had my doubts about that one when it started out, but it's one of my favs now too, particularly that Worlds version:luv17:

I remain hopeful with David Wilson. I love Guys and Dolls. I mean, love. :luv17:If he could recapture that with Jason....:pray:

And very impressed that Jason is essentially skipping SOI to work. Gotta get that Rohene choreography down since he's not around full time;)