Plushenko not at Euros? | Golden Skate

Plushenko not at Euros?

Tove

On the Ice
I did not understand of all the article since I didn't learn russian for so long...but....when will he decide wheather to go or not??
If he's not coming the entire podium question will be so.....open...
:eek: it'll be impossibel to predict anything at all....

Injuries, injuries, injuries. Let's hope he manages to skate the Euros but if it is healthier to wait till Worlds, then so be it.

If he does not skate Euros, then the Men's competition is for the gold as well as the podium. And hopefully we get to see another skater on TV.

Joe

Evdokia

On the Ice
Tove said:
I did not understand of all the article since I didn't learn russian for so long...but....when will he decide wheather to go or not??

It says that that Plushenko and Mishin will wait with the final decision about a possible withdrawal until the last minute, cause they don't want to let down the Russian team. :(

However, I red at FSU that Plushenko has already arrived in Budapest and went to the practice rink, so there is still hope that he will participate.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I would rather see him heal. To common sense, it seems dangerous to skate through pain. (Isn't pain supposed to tell us something?) I thought it was an odd decisision on Plushys and Mishin's part to have him wait so long for the surgery anyway. There are more than enough examples around of skaters who end their career much too early due to injuries.

brenlynn

On the Ice
if he isn't feeling 100% i think it would be in his best interest to sit this one out. worlds are just around the corner and i think he should rest and heal up for that. if he overdoes it, who knows what may happen.

i think he should just take some time off!

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hey all,

The biggest problem from the Russian federation viewpoint is that Evgeny is likely to medal, even at his worst. That keeps places for the Russian men at Euros, right? Look at the other entries from Russia--anyone who would be expected to be at or near the top of the heap has dropped out. I'm betting that Plushy and Mishin are under enormous pressure to compete.

Not saying it is right. I agree that athletes should not compete injured if it will aggravate their injuries. But Evgeny has been competing for some time with his injury. So I expect the federation would rather put the pressure on him than name another entry.(that is presuming they could have done so -- deadlines and such)

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I'm betting that Plushy and Mishin are under enormous pressure to compete.

Are they really that short sighted? Surely it would behove them to have a heathier Plushy go to Worlds and secure spots there. Imagine if he agrivates the injury in Budapest and then has to skip worlds. The consequences are much more dire there IMHO.

I hope he doesn't compete just because that would really spice up the mens comp with a situation where almost anyone has a chance of winning. Watching Plushy waltz away with another unchallenged gold isn't enjoyable viewing IMHO.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
He could still withdraw, according to the following article:

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/default.asp?id=141999

It is in Russian, but it basically says that Mishin is concerned about Evgeniy's injury. Apparently the injury got worse following the Nationals, where he was getting injections to numb the pain. According to the article, he hardly practiced. Mishin said that if there is a slightest chance at all, Plushenko will compete.

But if he does end up skipping the Euros, then Mishin's wife's student Andrey Lutai (placed 4th) will be the replacement.

Yana

I feel very sorry for Evgeni. That knee is going to cause him a lot of trouble. If I were him I would skip the worlds, have the surgery, do the rehab, and hopefully, he is not affected by the results. I mean, what's another Euros medal to him or Worlds for that matter. His knee is what is important.

Joe

Evdokia

On the Ice
Thanks for the link with another article, though it doesn't sound good. :cry:

I think Plushenko should have had fixed his knee at the beginning of the season and skipped the GP afterwards and probably he would have been healthy and back on form now again. It wasn't a very wise decision to go on skating with an injury for the whole season. :rolleye:

But I agree with Johio2, there is probably a lot of pressure on Plushenko right now - without him, Russia will probably loose the third spot in the mens' event for 2005.:(

He was the only Russian gold at the last Worlds. Unless Klimkin comes on strong (and he can) the Russians have only the Dance that will be gold - maybe.

Joe

Altho Evgeny is not a personal favorite of mine, I'd hate to see him ruin his knee for life by continuing to push....
He should do whatever is needed to help the knee and allow himself time to heal.
Whatever pressures he may be under from whomever, I hope he will think of himself and his future and do what is best for HIM.