Brian Boitano announces he's gay before trip to Sochi | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Brian Boitano announces he's gay before trip to Sochi

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Can you represent every single gay person? Obviously not! Your second paragraph is pointless. Giving the idea of same sex could have sexual activities to minors is enough to open a new perspective to them. You don't have to have sex in front of them in order to promote it.

So my views as a homosexual are not representative of homosexuals but your views as a straight woman who clearly dislikes homosexuals and has warped, unsubstantiated, and discriminatory opinions should be considered representative of all homosexuals? :unsure:

"Giving the idea of same sex could have sexual activities" is still unclear. So if you tell somebody it's okay to be gay you're promoting sex? Tell me, when a man introduces his wife to you or another person, even a kid, is he "promoting straight sex"? Does he say "Let me introduce you to my wife" or "Let me introduce you to the woman I have regular, heterosexual sex with."

What is with ignorant people's preoccupation with sex that when someone tells them they're gay or lesbian they immediately think about the sex they might be having with the same gender? Is that the first place your mind went to when Boitano said he was gay? Or Galindo? Or Weir? Like when somebody tells you they are dating the opposite sex, does your mind immediately go to all the sex and "immoral depraved sexual acts" they could be doing? And do you think when a kid hears a person is straight or gay their mind all of a sudden goes to that?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think you are twisting the issue, CSG. Please tell me, why a homosexual is called homosexual, and why a heterosexual is called heterosexual?

You might answer that because a homosexual loves the same sex, but a heterosexual loves the opposite sex. That is incorrect if you said that because a brother could love his brother; a sister could love her sister; a boy could love his father; a mother could love her daughter; a man could have very close friendship with another guy; a woman could too. Even though they are between the same sex, such love is not sexually related. So they are not called homosexuals.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think you are twisting the issue, CSG. Please tell me, why a homosexual is called homosexual, and why a heterosexual is called heterosexual?

You might answer that because a homosexual loves the same sex, but a heterosexual loves the opposite sex. That is incorrect if you said that because a brother could love his brother; a sister could love her sister; a boy could love his father; a mother could love her daughter; a man could have very close friendship with another guy; a woman could too. Even though they are between the same sex, such love is not sexually related. So they are not called homosexuals.

No. Heterosexuality is physical attraction to the opposite gender. Homosexuality is physical attraction to the same gender. And obviously this attraction does not extend to every member of the same sex (just like a straight man isn't attracted to every woman, including the ones he is related to, by virtue of being straight). The definition of a homosexual is not "a person who has sex with the same gender" as you wouldn't define heterosexuals as those who have sex with the opposite gender. Plenty of straight and gay people don't even have sex at all (by choice or otherwise) but their attraction is what defines their sexuality. The "sexual" in heterosexual and homosexual refers to gender and not sexual activity/behaviour. A priest/nun can be a heterosexual or a homosexual even if he/she remains celibate her whole life.

So by people suggesting its okay to be gay they are saying its okay if you happen to be attracted to a member of the same gender. They are not advocating you go and have sex with the same gender. Brian announced that he is attracted to men. Whether that means he has sex with other men is not something that we can assume nor is it any of our business.

And what pray tell is the reason you think a homosexual is called a homosexual and a heterosexual is called a heterosexual, BB?

treeloving

Medalist
I don't know if I should laugh or cry, people who is against homosexuality always use and repeat the same logic over and over........ for real there is nothing wrong with being homosexual in the first place so if you consider tolerance and equality as a cause of turning someone to homosexuality - what is so wrong with it, just because they cannot reproduce? - I didn't post this as a question though because I already what will be the answer of homophobic bigots and I already have enough of that.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
In other news, water announces that it's wet.

If so, it belongs to "odd news". It is the same illogic from pro-homosexuality groups. Water will never announce anything, mind you.;)

No. Heterosexuality is physical attraction to the opposite gender. Homosexuality is physical attraction to the same gender. And obviously this attraction does not extend to every member of the same sex (just like a straight man isn't attracted to every woman, including the ones he is related to, by virtue of being straight). The definition of a homosexual is not "a person who has sex with the same gender" as you wouldn't define heterosexuals as those who have sex with the opposite gender. Plenty of straight and gay people don't even have sex at all (by choice or otherwise) but their attraction is what defines their sexuality. The "sexual" in heterosexual and homosexual refers to gender and not sexual activity/behaviour. A priest/nun can be a heterosexual or a homosexual even if he/she remains celibate her whole life.

Still this is not the definition of homosexuality or heterosexuality. A man could be aware of, appreciate, and even acknowledge the physical appearances and attractions of the same gender. A woman could too to the same gender. They are not homosexuals.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry, people who is against homosexuality always use and repeat the same logic over and over

Same as people who are pro-homosexuality. And I've had enough of these non-sense too.

^ But here's the thing, BB. You believe that homosexual activity is sinful. OK. It is not necessary to repeat that in every blessed thread that comes up regarding male figure skaters, the Sochi Olympics, etc. You have said what you have to say. Saying it 100 times does not add to the strength of your convictions. Let's move on.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
^ But here's the thing, BB. You believe that homosexual activity is sinful. OK. It is not necessary to repeat that in every blessed thread that comes up regarding male figure skaters, the Sochi Olympics, etc. You have said what you have to say. Saying it 100 times does not add to the strength of your convictions. Let's move on.

Many believed that gaining access to children and indoctrinating them on the subject is part of their "human rights". The fact is that they, not me, have stuck on this subject and are repeatedly spreading the same stuffs as if they hold the "truths". I am not the one who open any of these countless threads. I was only coming into this thread from post #95 when someone posted wishes for gay athletes to be arrested during Sochi Olympics.

Maybe someone could open a "homosexuality fan thread" in fan folder. No one would ever "disturb" you in that "blessed" thread.:sarcasm:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Homosexuality and heterosexuality historically are medical terms and indicate a belief that some sort of simple binary exists regarding sexual attraction. That is not the case. That is why many alternative terms are used.

Laws in Russia pertain to so called same sex sexual relations and the idea of promotion of these (by their very existence) as some sort of sexual indoctrination of the young. Studies have shown again and again that sexual desires are innate and not learned. If that were not the case then there would be no such thing as human beings who were attracted to anything other than the opposite sex resulting in continued behavior generation after generation and that would exclude the possibility of the existence of anything else. So the idea that children are influenced by the public existence of LGTB people is nonsense. In addition most sexual crimes against children are not committed by the LGBT community. Biases against members of the LGBT community are based on ignorance and religious intolerance.

Many believed that gaining access to children and indoctrinating them on the subject is part of their "human rights". The fact is that they, not me, have stuck on this subject and are repeatedly spreading the same stuffs as if they hold the "truths". I am not the one who open any of these countless threads. I was only coming into this thread from post #95 when someone posted wishes for gay athletes to be arrested during Sochi Olympics.

No one is going to be arrested. No one is going to boycott the Olympics. No one is going to indoctrinate any children. Love thy neighbor.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist

If everybody believed in this, there would be no Trolls.
Bluebonnet, bye.

ForeverFish

Medalist
No one is going to be arrested. No one is going to boycott the Olympics. No one is going to indoctrinate any children. Love thy neighbor.

The bottom line, I think, regardless of one's dogma. Thank you yet again, Mathman, for your simple and elegant words ... you've said it best.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

:clap: (though your first two points may not be totally true... some may get arrested, some are making the personal choice to boycott...)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Still this is not the definition of homosexuality or heterosexuality. A man could be aware of, appreciate, and even acknowledge the physical appearances and attractions of the same gender. A woman could too to the same gender.

I don't get your point. A homosexual (man or woman) can be aware of, appreciate, and acknowledge the physical appearances and attractions of the opposite gender.

Again, what is the definition of homosexuality and heterosexuality according to you then?

Jedi

On the Ice
What would have been a surprise to most of us is if Brian and come out and announced he was straight. :)

Maybe someone could open a "homosexuality fan thread" in fan folder. No one would ever "disturb" you in that "blessed" thread.:sarcasm:

Here's what I don't understand. If someone is going to get angry about the prevalence of gay people in any situation, why become a skating fan? Why join a skating forum? Clearly this is a sport where gay athletes, coaches, probably judges, and certainly fans have felt welcome, so there are a significant number of them and an even larger number of people who don't mind this. It doesn't mean that everyone who takes part in the figure skating world is gay or supports gay-friendly issues, but certainly many are. So getting angry at any aspect of the situation sounds like a lost cause. I'm happy you're a skating fan, Blue, but if this issue angers you, you're going to work yourself into an ulcer around here, with no potential for changing the prevailing atmosphere.

Someone can certainly be a devotee of skating without paying attention at all to the LGBT aspect of the sport. But people can't be fans of skating and expect that everyone in the sport or its fandom who's gay will either convert or leave. So why keep banging your head against a wall?

Icey

Record Breaker
Here's what I don't understand. If someone is going to get angry about the prevalence of gay people in any situation, why become a skating fan? Why join a skating forum? Clearly this is a sport where gay athletes, coaches, probably judges, and certainly fans have felt welcome, so there are a significant number of them and an even larger number of people who don't mind this. It doesn't mean that everyone who takes part in the figure skating world is gay or supports gay-friendly issues, but certainly many are. So getting angry at any aspect of the situation sounds like a lost cause. I'm happy you're a skating fan, Blue, but if this issue angers you, you're going to work yourself into an ulcer around here, with no potential for changing the prevailing atmosphere.

Someone can certainly be a devotee of skating without paying attention at all to the LGBT aspect of the sport. But people can't be fans of skating and expect that everyone in the sport or its fandom who's gay will either convert or leave. So why keep banging your head against a wall?

I have to disagree with you that this is a sport where gay athletes, etc. have felt welcome. Certainly, that is not historically true with USFSA.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Let's be clear on one thing. Who is angry at a law that aimed to protect children? Who is forcing their views and silencing the critics aggressively onto everyone everywhere?:rolleye: Did I expect everyone either convert or leave?!:sarcasm: That is what some people from your side are doing. I think you people are keeping banging your head against a wall on this Russian law.:p

As of your question on why I love figure skating, I love it wasn't because it was a gay sport (in North America), just like I love Tchaikovski's music wasn't because he was a homosexual. Do I accept homosexuality? Of course, not condone it but accept it. However, it wasn't enough to just accept it these days. You have to accept their invasion into your life. Example, you have to accept that they come into your kids programs on your TV, various children resorts, into your school activities, classrooms, text books, and indoctrinate your kids from as young as 5 year olds. Otherwise, you are not tolerated and you are "bigots" and "discriminating".

Don't worry, I will abandon figure skating after the Olympics because it has become too gay for me. I will pursue my other dozen of interests instead. Till then, I will still voice what I believe is right unless anyone wants to silence me by force.;)