Morgan Ciprès charged with felony | Golden Skate

Morgan Ciprès charged with felony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
According to USA today, Morgan Cipres has been charged with a felony in Florida "for the transmission of material harmful to a minor by electronic device."
A warrant has been issued for his arrest, but he is in France.

Amei

Record Breaker
France won't extradite him, basically this means that he can only go to countries with a similar extradition policy as France. It will be curious to see if ice shows move away from hiring them (if they were still actively seeking this business after their competition retirement) I know they were still doing show skating prior to everything shutting down for Covid.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
France won't extradite him, basically this means that he can only go to countries with a similar extradition policy as France. It will be curious to see if ice shows move away from hiring them (if they were still actively seeking this business after their competition retirement) I know they were still doing show skating prior to everything shutting down for Covid.
I wonder if now that he's charged they'll get invited to shows less

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I remember there was a heated discussion about this case some time ago. What I don't remember is whether there were statements from the other party. There could be 3 basic alternatives: 1. "I made a serious mistake and I am very sorry about it". 2. "Some of my actions were wrong and I regret about them. But this whole story was blown out of proportion. And some allegations are groundless. 3. "Those allegations have nothing to do with the reality of what actually happenned".

If we are talking about the first one - he did something which is universally treated as "child molestation" and he confirmed that - I doubt that he will be welcome as a show participant anywhere in the world. Too big a spot on his reputation.

Amei

Record Breaker
I wonder if now that he's charged they'll get invited to shows less

Well Roman Polanski is and has been "on the run" living it up in France for decades and he still gets hired and accolades galore, and he admitted to raping a girl all Cipres did and is charged with is sending a picture so I think what will stop him from being hired is if big name skaters refuse to skate in shows where he is present. The question is how known this information gets to skaters about his charge and whether they feel they can take that stand and it give the desired outcome of him not being hired or if the outcome is they don't get hired.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The biggest thing is the context how those pictures got to that underage skater. We have a fresh case in Russia when a masturbation video of the most famous Russian football player was published. Some minors could have been offended. But the guy was clearly the victim rather than the agressor.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
The biggest thing is the context how those pictures got to that underage skater. We have a fresh case in Russia when a masturbation video of the most famous Russian football player was published. Some minors could have been offended. But the guy was clearly the victim rather than the agressor.
Cipres sent them to an underage girl via IG dms. No one “stole” his photo and published it on the internet, Cipres sent a private message to the girl with the photo.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It might also depend on whether this would be a crime in Europe, as I think most countries there have a lower age of consent than the US.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Cipres sent them to an underage girl via IG dms. No one “stole” his photo and published it on the internet, Cipres sent a private message to the girl with the photo.
My question is whether he himself admitted that, rejected that or remained silent? Sorry, I did not follow this case closely.

Amei

Record Breaker
It might also depend on whether this would be a crime in Europe, as I think most countries there have a lower age of consent than the US.

The only way I would think that could come into play is as a defense to what he did, that he didn't know it was a crime which even then I don't think that would prevent a conviction from happening but might reduce his punishment. Because even if in <fill in the blank European country> what he did was not a crime, there is still a warrant for his arrest from the United States because based on US law (which is where he was at the time of the event) he committed a crime, so they would extradite him. So I think his ability to travel is going to be based on countries extradition agreements/policies, I'm sure his legal fees might eventually prohibit him from leaving France. And basically he's going to be living the rest of his life wondering every time the door knocks or police officer pulls in behind him are they coming to arrest him and extradite , because France does have an extradition treaty with the US but they currently take the position that because the US has the death penalty (even if the fugitive they are providing safe shelter to is not subject to the death penalty) they will not extradite a French citizen to the US. So if that policy ever changes then he can be arrested and extradited.

Smith16

Rinkside
The only way I would think that could come into play is as a defense to what he did, that he didn't know it was a crime which even then I don't think that would prevent a conviction from happening but might reduce his punishment. Because even if in <fill in the blank European country> what he did was not a crime, there is still a warrant for his arrest from the United States because based on US law (which is where he was at the time of the event) he committed a crime, so they would extradite him. So I think his ability to travel is going to be based on countries extradition agreements/policies, I'm sure his legal fees might eventually prohibit him from leaving France. And basically he's going to be living the rest of his life wondering every time the door knocks or police officer pulls in behind him are they coming to arrest him and extradite , because France does have an extradition treaty with the US but they currently take the position that because the US has the death penalty (even if the fugitive they are providing safe shelter to is not subject to the death penalty) they will not extradite a French citizen to the US. So if that policy ever changes then he can be arrested and extradited.
France doesn't extradite their own citizens. So as long as he's in France he's unfortunately safe unless he gets charged with a crime in France.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Sorry, I meant the impact of this as far as him being able to skate in shows in Europe. If the general public there isn't opposed to this kind of behavior in France, and it's not illegal, I'm not sure what the impact would be. While I think what he was accused of is utterly disgusting and very damaging to the accuser, other countries aren't obligated to share Americans' standards of morality. We permit things here that are prohibited in other countries such as alcohol consumption, abortions, and gay marriage, and Americans wouldn't allow other countries to dictate our values.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think his show days are over. He will be a convicted felon and I can imagine that won't be good for ticket sales.
He will only be a convicted felon if he goes to a country where they extradite. Otherwise he can wait out the statute of limitations (as far as I know there is one for everything but murder but I’ve not looked at child molestation law in Florida) and he will get what is known as a “pocket dismissal” (charges dropped because the statue of limitations has expired) and then can travel freely, including to the US. If child molestation doesn’t have a SOL in Florida he’d just have to stay out of countries that extradite. I am in no way defending what he is accused of doing, but charged does not mean convicted and he will not be a convicted felon unless or until he is convicted in a court of law or accepts a plea deal. I am not in any way excusing child molestation. But he is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, not the court of public opinion.

Amei

Record Breaker
Sorry, I meant the impact of this as far as him being able to skate in shows in Europe. If the general public there isn't opposed to this kind of behavior in France, and it's not illegal, I'm not sure what the impact would be. While I think what he was accused of is utterly disgusting and very damaging to the accuser, other countries aren't obligated to share Americans' standards of morality. We permit things here that are prohibited in other countries such as alcohol consumption, abortions, and gay marriage, and Americans wouldn't allow other countries to dictate our values.

Even if a country is morally okay with what he did or it's not against the law in that country he will have an issue going to a country has an extradition treaty with the United States and actively uses it. It's why Roman Polanski very rarely leaves France because the French government will protect him there from extradition.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My question is whether he himself admitted that, rejected that or remained silent? Sorry, I did not follow this case closely.
The private message, from his account, to the account of a girl HE KNEW WAS THIRTEEN, has been viewed by many involved, not just the girl.

Stop trying to find a loophole to defend an abuser.

Apple1078

Final Flight
Well Roman Polanski is and has been "on the run" living it up in France for decades and he still gets hired and accolades galore, and he admitted to raping a girl all Cipres did and is charged with is sending a picture so I think what will stop him from being hired is if big name skaters refuse to skate in shows where he is present. The question is how known this information gets to skaters about his charge and whether they feel they can take that stand and it give the desired outcome of him not being hired or if the outcome is they don't get hired.

And ironically, Nathalie Péchelat's husband has worked with Roman Polanski in the past. I actually think she defended her husband's decision to work with Polanski in a post on her Instagram account.

Edit: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9HnGA8ILAp/?igshid=1veuluo7f8fm5

Status
Not open for further replies.