Men FS - 2014 European Championships | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Men FS - 2014 European Championships

I'm intrigued. Here in Canada, after every skate, there tends to be a commercial break. Program-skaters leaving the ice-commercial break-return with some short replays-score-next skater.

Is that not the sequence you're used to? Or are they showing commercials in the middle of the actual skate?

The sequence we're used to in Europe is commercials during warm-ups only or even better, during zamboni breaks only.

jan

On the Ice
If you have watched Plushenko as of late , there is no way you would be speaking of him as having a chance at the Olympics. He is nowhere near the top skaters in PCS. The need to send any of the other three Russians over him. His time is gone.

Honestly... yes!

Unless Chan is being overscored, I believe a Plushenko skating at his best could beat him.

For me, the tough competition will be coming from Japan. Particularly Hanyu, but also Takahashi if he is totally fit.

If they all skate clean, I believe the 2 Japanese will beat Plushy. But if he does and the Japanese don't, Plushy will take no prisoners!

I haven't started thinking about my Top 5 Predictions for the Men yet. But, everything being equal (i.e. no inflation for anybody from judges), I would choose these 3 for the podium. It is just a matter of order.

Call me mad, but I have a lot of faith in the great man!

CaroLiza_fan

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 267.11 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Sergei VORONOV (RUS) - 252.55 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) - 237.24 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 236.98 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
5. Maxim KOVTUN (RUS) - 232.37 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Peter LIEBERS (GER) - 225.76 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Tomas VERNER (CZE) - 223.66 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
8. Brian JOUBERT (FRA) - 221.95 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) - 205.92 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
10. Alexei BYCHENKO (ISR) - 203.76
11. Alexander MAJOROV (SWE) - 202.47 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
12. Chafik BESSEGHIER (FRA) - 198.07 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
13. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 190.13 Free Skate, 2nd Copy

Medal Ceremony

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
If you have watched Plushenko as of late , there is no way you would be speaking of him as having a chance at the Olympics. He is nowhere near the top skaters in PCS. The need to send any of the other three Russians over him. His time is gone.

Well, there is the problem. Apart from the past 2 Russian Nationals, I haven't seen him since his last appearance at Europeans, back in 2012.

Plushy was awful in his FS at Nationals this year. But, he was good in the SP. So, I don't know which to judge him by! He could have just been having a bad day on Christmas Day (Had Santa not been kind to him...?)*

As I said to Ziggy:

That's why I said "at his best" in my post - that's my "get out of jail free card"! ;) :biggrin:

I don't want to see Plushy winning by being propped up by the judges - we've had enough of that with Chan in recent years.

But, I still live in hope that the break he is having from not going to Euros will give Plushy the chance to get fully fit in time for Sochi, and to get his programmes polished up.

We can all hope! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

*= And before anybody says anything, I know that the Orthodox Church uses the Julian Calendar, and so 25th December isn't Christmas Day in Russia! But, it sounded good wording it like that! ;)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thanks German people for the stream I could watch when our TV-set again showed Midsomer Murders :thumbsup: :laugh:

Good tactics of Plushenko not to compete here.

= being a coward in my book :eek:hwell:

He can get them anyway :laugh:

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Fortunately German tv showed the competition, even if only on the internet. I try to think my complaints over all the years helped.

I’m glad Javi could defend his title and glad about Peter’s good performance. The two Russians surely deserve their medals after all the years of not giving up fighting. Without a doubt it increased the dilemma of the federation though.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks German people for the stream I could watch when our TV-set again showed Midsomer Murders :thumbsup: :laugh:

Funny you should say that, because while I was watching the skating on the computer, my Mum was watching a Midsomer that she had taped 2 Wednesdays ago! :laugh:

Mind you, she's not happy because I forgot to set the timer for the following episode! Oops!

CaroLiza_fan

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Funny you should say that, because while I was watching the skating on the computer, my Mum was watching a Midsomer that she had taped 2 Wednesdays ago! :laugh:

Mind you, she's not happy because I forgot to set the timer for the following episode! Oops!

CaroLiza_fan

LOL, in Sweden it seems like Midsomer Murders are running over and over on many channels. I love the old lady in our household and good for her that she doesn't remember that she's seen all of them before :)

Random thought… who could do a short suggestive skate to the Midsomer Murders theme ?

anyanka

Record Breaker
Honestly, Voronov and Menshov should have shots at making the Olympic team.

The Russian fed must be scratching their heads now.

The only solution is a skate-off between Voronov, Menshov, Plushenko and Kovtun, IMO.

I really, really, REALLY want to see that. And better yet, I want to see their coaches with reaction shots.

:popcorn:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
lol did the interviewer just ask Javi if he believes Spain WILL send him to the Olympics?
Javi: "yes, I think I will be sent." :laugh:

reminds me of the nincompoop "journalist" who was covering a sled dog race I'm involved in asking 4time Iditarod Champion Jeff King if the event he'd just run (and come in second) meant that he'd be "qualified" for that year's Iditarod (once you've qualified and run an Iditarod you don't need to qualify again). Jeff's answer was, "I think I've already done that." :laugh:

Some sports journalists are so incompetent all you can do is laugh. It's not THAT hard to research and find out exactly what is happening.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Some sports journalists are so incompetent all you can do is laugh. It's not THAT hard to research and find out exactly what is happening.

LOL Javier is the only winter OG medal contender for Spain since doped Mühlegg. Hope Javi is appreciated in his country when Sochi is on :bow:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
LOL Javier is the only winter OG medal contender for Spain since doped Mühlegg. Hope Javi is appreciated in his country when Sochi is on :bow:

:agree: I hope to see him on the podium in Sochi! He's definitely my favorite podium contender!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I was sooo happy that Fernandez defended his European title successfully!!!! And also happy that he was not here perfect, better this way and still time for him to train and peak at the Olympics. What a nice impression as a person he makes everywhere, seems a really nice guy.

Great that Voronov and Menshov won medals, what a happy podium!!! And the winner´s mother was crying from happiness, so sweet.

I felt really sad for Kovtun, the pressure was too much for the young guy: Of course he tried to win the title and then also the other Russians skated so well... He needed to win or least be the best Russian here.

seniorita

Record Breaker
we are like 20 people celebrating for Menshov awesome medal in a cafe!!!weeeee!I was sitting second row, maybe the best competition I ve been, arena is a bit small but audience was the best!!Menshov did it, I d never dream of it!!!standing ovation he got!!

Fernandez, this program is miles better than Gp, I gave standing ovation in the middle of his program, lol!Audience was crazy for him, and Jouby of course!!!
Michael fourth is like an old joke, I m sorry Verner blew it, great program and attack otherwise.
the Russian boys..Kovtun's program is absent once he abandons jumps, I read here but no, no energy, going through hand movements a la tarasova, while he is young and needs more light choreo, he was like in morning practice, I swear I did not jinx him, I applauded even, but he was lost!!
Voronov, forget the costume , has made miracles with new coach, he killed it!!If they don't send Plush, send him and Even if I was never a fan!!what a come back!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I would love to see Konstantin going to Sochi.

But, the Federation are dead set on Kovtun or Plushy. They have never even considered Menshov or Voronov. Otherwise, they would have sent one of them to Worlds last year.

And if it is a choice between those two, I'm going for Plushy. Kovtun is young enough to have other chances. Plushy is certainly going to retire, but he has unfinished business at the Olympics.

I still feel Plushy should have won the gold in Vancouver! And this is his chance to not only prove that point, but to do it in front of his home fans!

So, good luck Zhenya!

CaroLiza_fan

Plushy has won gold in Torino, so he doesn't have much to prove. Also, there's absolutely no way he will win gold in Sochi. Not that Kovtun has much of a better chance. Plushenko himself said he would like bronze. I think Plushenko competing would simply be denying Kovtun/Voronov/Menshov experience and a team medal.

Moreover, I think people forget to easily that Plushenko bombed his Russian Nats FS and bombed his Volvo Cup SP, so I don't see how Kovtun bombing qualifies him for the Olympics. If anything, Kovtun made a case for Voronov being sent.

Voronov has been the most consistent SP skater (arguably of any skater in the world this season) and has had solid FS performances this year. And the Euro judges did give him higher PCS than Kovtun in the FS. Of course, he won't ever get the PCS marks needed to be the elite guys, but at least he's shown consistency when Kovtun and Plushenko haven't.

lavender

Record Breaker
WOW now what. Plushenko has a definite argument here. I do wonder how the judges feel about Kovtun. Ryan Bradley thinks Kovtun skates like a really good jumping junior man.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Voronov has been the most consistent SP skater (arguably of any skater in the world this season) and has had solid FS performances this year. And the Euro judges did give him higher PCS than Kovtun in the FS. Of course, he won't ever get the PCS marks needed to be the elite guys, but at least he's shown consistency when Kovtun and Plushenko haven't.
Don´t forget. with Voronovs desastrous performance at 2012 Worlds (17th) begun the problems for Russia. They should send Plushenko. But I don´t see a medal for him.