China 15 (7 men; 8 pairs)
Japan 13 (10 men; 3 pairs)
France 10 (6 men; 4 pairs)
Germany 10 (5 men; 5 pairs)
USA 10 (4 men; 6 pairs)
Italy 8 (1 men; 7 pairs)
Ukraine 5 (3 men; 2 pairs)
UK 3 (2 men; 1 pairs)

Wow three-way race for that last spot. I do think the US should be able to get that last spot easily and maybe even move up with the help of Davis/White and Ashley.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Really strong skates by the top 3, hopefully they will continue to skate this well!

Agree with the comments about Duhamel's hair. The 80s home perm hair along with that twee sparkly pink dress makes her look like an 80s prom attendee. Hopefully she will look into a mirror before the next pairs SP and realize the error of her ways.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
How wonderful for the top 4 teams to skate so splendidly! The pairs event could be really interesting, especially when they add P/T and S/S in the mix.

kresslia

Medalist
With the ice dance short, Canada will catch up to Russia, and the USA will charge towards the top 3. With the ladies though, Canada will fall behind Russia again, and the USA is up in the air - hard to tell with Ashley.

For Canada to win gold, they definitely cannot afford using Reynolds after Chan only came third. If they use him, just hand the gold over to Russia. They need Chan to skate the LP (and overtake Plushenko) and hope Russia's pairs/dance teams don't do so well in the LP.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
With the ice dance short, Canada will catch up to Russia, and the USA will charge towards the top 3. With the ladies though, Canada will fall behind Russia again, and the USA is up in the air - hard to tell with Ashley.

For Canada to win gold, they definitely cannot afford using Reynolds after Chan only came third. If they use him, just hand the gold over to Russia. They need Chan to skate the LP (and overtake Plushenko) and hope Russia's pairs/dance teams don't do so well in the LP.

yep

for patrick, it will only do him good to get his lp out there and let his nerves out before the individual considering how the short went, so he better not pussy out

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Great competition. Stefania and Ondrej are the most charismatic couple. Their chemistry is sizzling, she is so gorgeous! I'm happy they did well. Still it somehow didn't feel like the Olympics, yet. Maybe because it's the team event and all you think is: Well, you have another chance in a week. In the Olympics before everything was final!

Matilda

Medalist
I love the V/T short so much! I could watch it in a loop for hours :)

Meryl and Charlie will improve the US standings a lot, but lots of pressure on Ashley after this.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I felt really nervous before V/T skated but they delivered a great but not perfect performance, he hung on to the 3T a bit and she was a bit forward on the throw. The sweeping music really works for them, they capture it perfectly. D/R look to be in great shape but I am not their biggest fan, something about their style does not sit well with me. Great peformance from B/H, I never thought they would break 70 for the SP.

Great support from the audience for V/T. It's looking like Russia v Canada for Gold.

kresslia

Medalist
yep

for patrick, it will only do him good to get his lp out there and let his nerves out before the individual considering how the short went, so he better not pussy out
Exactly. Get some more experience competing on that Olympic ice, relax.

Machida is competing for Japan in the LP, not Hanyu, so it should be easier for Patrick to place higher. Plushenko's weakness seems to be the LP. If Patrick does not have a disastrous LP, he can get those points back that he gave up today. But really, you never know which Patrick you're going to get, so he could just as easily pop his jumps and fall all over the place. Regardless, no doubt in my mind that this is what Canada needs to do to win gold.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Great competition. Stefania and Ondrej are the most charismatic couple. Their chemistry is sizzling, she is so gorgeous! I'm happy they did well. Still it somehow didn't feel like the Olympics, yet. Maybe because it's the team event and all you think is: Well, you have another chance in a week. In the Olympics before everything was final!

I agree, for some reason it doesn't feel like a "real" Olympics.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Well actually Canada needs Chan to beat Plushenko by enough to cover the gap if Russia beats Canada in pairs. Plus ideally Canada needs to beat Russia in pairs and men's and provide enough padding for the women although they may get a point and possibly more from dance assuming V and M skate the free dance. Unless Osmond falls apart in ladies in the sp then Canada has to go with its best. Does tis mean MTM are skating the pairs freeskate?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats to China for being a surprise 3rd so far! Too bad their ice dance team isn't stronger... but who knows, if Li does exceedingly well and the other ladies falter, they could squeeze into the final.

cornell08

Final Flight
China really needs a better dance team. There's no reason why their pairs teams should have better skating skills than dance, when usually its the other way around for most countries. Clearly the solution is to fire the current head coach and make Hongbo Zhao the new head honcho :biggrin:. Or maybe get Xuehan Wang to switch disciplines-- she'd be a great ice dancer. H/Z's fd is awful (seriously, who approved that music cut? And to use a PORTION of the pas de deux???!) At least Yu/Wang's Howl's Moving Castle program was watchable. -_-;

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Is there a tiebreaker if teams end up with the same point totals? Anyone know?
Here is the tie breaking procedure according to this ISU document: http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/90897/isu-fs-qs-sochi-2014-2011-12-14.pdf

When forming the intermediate and final result, in case of a tie between Teams, the tie breaking procedure will be used taking into consideration:

- The highest aggregate placement points per Team from the two (2) best places in different disciplines will break the tie;

- If they remain tied, the highest total Team scores of the two (2) best places according to the aggregate placement points per Team in different disciplines will break the ties;

- If they remain tied, the highest aggregate placement points per Team from the three (3) best places in different disciplines will break the ties;

- If they remain tied, the highest total Team scores of the three (3) best places according to the aggregate placement points per Team in different disciplines will break the tie;

- If these criteria fail to break the ties, the Teams will be considered tied.

I hope that there will be no need to use the tie breakers, or if there is, that it won't be necessary to go beyond the first tie breaker. Adding up scores (rather than placements) to break the tie unfairly favours the team with a strong man, as men rack up higher scores than do women, pairs and dance teams.