2014 Olympics Team Event Pairs Short Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Pairs Short Program

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Here is the tie breaking procedure according to this ISU document: http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/90897/isu-fs-qs-sochi-2014-2011-12-14.pdf

When forming the intermediate and final result, in case of a tie between Teams, the tie breaking procedure will be used taking into consideration:

- The highest aggregate placement points per Team from the two (2) best places in different disciplines will break the tie;

- If they remain tied, the highest total Team scores of the two (2) best places according to the aggregate placement points per Team in different disciplines will break the ties;

- If they remain tied, the highest aggregate placement points per Team from the three (3) best places in different disciplines will break the ties;

- If they remain tied, the highest total Team scores of the three (3) best places according to the aggregate placement points per Team in different disciplines will break the tie;

- If these criteria fail to break the ties, the Teams will be considered tied.

I hope that there will be no need to use the tie breakers, or if there is, that it won't be necessary to go beyond the first tie breaker. Adding up scores (rather than placements) to break the tie unfairly favours the team with a strong man, as men rack up higher scores than do women, pairs and dance teams.

Good to know!

Takahashi/Kihara's marks have been baffling me all season. They were slow, cautious, completely ignored the music and almost every single element was laboured and executed to a low standard. I realise they are a new team and he is new to pair skating so it's to be expected. I think they've accomplished a lot in such a short space of time. But the marks they are getting are just :confused:. Not only did they not get a single negative GOE for their non-jump elements but also some +1s. And 8th PCS. :disapp:

I felt really nervous before V/T skated but they delivered a great but not perfect performance, he hung on to the 3T a bit and she was a bit forward on the throw. The sweeping music really works for them, they capture it perfectly.

They were also slow on the pair combination spin, after the change of foot. Who cares, though. It's +2s, +3s and 10s for everything they do, regardless of how they actually execute it.

Don't get me wrong, there were some exceptional elements in that program (perfect 3twist, for example) and I agree that they skated to the music well. But not everything was executed to a very high standard and they should get marked appropriately for each element and program component.

starryxskies

On the Ice
Takahashi/Kihara's marks have been baffling me all season. They were slow, cautious, completely ignored the music and almost every single element was laboured and executed to a low standard. I realise they are a new team and he is new to pair skating so it's to be expected. I think they've accomplished a lot in such a short space of time. But the marks they are getting are just :confused:. Not only did they not get a single negative GOE for their non-jump elements but also some +1s. And 8th PCS. :disapp:

rep marks for her being former world medalist?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well, V/T were obviously overscored, but that was expected being the Olympics in Russia (anyway, how could that judge give +3 to that 3T is really :slink: )... Great competition, overall! :popcorn:
And, I?m so happy that B/H finally scored 70+ internationally!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
1st warm-up group is one the ice! Arena still not completely full (though Maria Sharapova is watching).

Sorry, haven't read the entire thread, but as an aside for any who are unaware (but would care):

Sharapova is working in Sochi as a correspondent for NBC's Olympic coverage. She lived in Sochi in her early childhood.

Germans follow Christopher Walken's advice: more cowbell!

:laugh: Loved Walken in the SNL skit.

rep marks for her being former world medalist?

Possibly. I think and even bigger factor is judges not using the whole range of GOE to reflect quality or the lack of it. You hardly ever see negative GOE for laboured or poorly executed elements unless there some easily noticeable, 'in-your-face' mistake.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Possibly. I think and even bigger factor is judges not using the whole range of GOE to reflect quality or the lack of it. You hardly ever see negative GOE for laboured or poorly executed elements unless there some easily noticeable, 'in-your-face' mistake.

Unless the skater is unpopular, then of course the judges will reward an amazing element with a +1 at best and even a wild but clean landing will get smacked negative GOE.

Unless the skater is unpopular, then of course the judges will reward an amazing element with a +1 at best and even a wild but clean landing will get smacked negative GOE.

You're right. There is a clear pattern with both GOE and PCS being restricted for skaters who 'skate early.'

Zamboni

On the Ice
I thought Simon and Marissa skated pretty well. I was very proud of them. :yay:

They are not in the top tier yet, but hopefully with more experience they will do well. That throw was pretty impressive.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
no one watching

This is the Olympics. Why so many empty seats at the men's event?

Maybe because some media (such as NBC sometimes) are referring to the Team SPs/SD as "qualifying" competitions -- usage that I think is a great disservice.

Although the ten countries are competing to "qualify" for the FSs/FD, the structure of the team skating event is nothing like a speedskating (random example) event at a certain distance requiring one or more qualifying rounds to narrow the field to the semifinal group and then the final group. :bang:

As we all know, the skaters will perform different programs after they qualify for the final. Not analogous to seeing the same distance being raced over and over. (No offense to speedskaters.)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
because the Olympic hasn't officially started people, the opening will be tommorow, after team event the rink will be full by individuals with the likes of superstars
Kim, Mao, Yuzu, Zhenya, D&W, V&T, etc.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I thought Simon and Marissa skated pretty well. I was very proud of them. :yay:

They are not in the top tier yet, but hopefully with more experience they will do well. That throw was pretty impressive.

I agree. I noticed a clear improvement in that program even from Nationals. Yes the SBS jumps had issues, but everything else was greatly improved!

I agree. I noticed a clear improvement in that program even from Nationals. Yes the SBS jumps had issues, but everything else was greatly improved!

Most importantly, they went from a forgettable and sloppy looking team into having what is arguably the most interesting and well constructed SP this season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
because the Olympic hasn't officially started people, the opening will be tommorow, after team event the rink will be full by individuals with the likes of superstars
Kim, Mao, Yuzu, Zhenya, D&W, V&T, etc.

But Hanyu, Plushenko, and Volosozhar/Trankov already skated today (along with superstar Chan) ... and apparently the stands were not full.

evangeline

Record Breaker
But Hanyu, Plushenko, and Volosozhar/Trankov already skated today (along with superstar Chan) ... and apparently the stands were not full.

The stands were emptier when the earlier group of men was skating, but by the time Volosozhar/Trankov skated today, there was a respectable amount of spectators in the stands (at least, from what I can tell on-screen).

Tesla

Final Flight
C/S were great! I hope they do even better in the individual event. :)

ETA Oh, D/R were lovely. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The stands were emptier when the earlier group of men was skating, but by the time Volosozhar/Trankov skated today, there was a respectable amount of spectators in the stands (at least, from what I can tell on-screen).

Thx, evangeline. Happy to hear that your assessment is more positive than what others said. (Sorry, haven't had a chance to see anything with my own eyes yet.)

dardar1126

On the Ice
I really enjoyed that Canadian pair...such a creative and well-skated program! :yes:

(Although I didn't much care for her hair-do. :no:)

The Russian pair is so strong and powerful...those lifts and throws are HUGE! :clap: