2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Going last is the best draw for Mao in terms of scoring. If she skates early and makes mistakes, she'd most likely be thrown down the leader board like in the Team Event.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This field is pretty deep and very competitive. Everyone did something this year and everyone has something to prove in Sochi! I think mistakes from anyone will not be overlooked. Even being in the judges favor won't be enough. You have to give a reason for them to score you well no matter how much they want to.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wonder if it is possible to keep yourself from knowing the scores of those before you. Probably not, because at least the scores/place of the skater before you is announced when you are on the ice.

It would take enormous focus and pure tunnel vision I would think. Covering your ears and shouting la la la la la would help but I can't imagine anyone making themselves look so ridiculous ;p

When skaters still are backstage -- i.e., when their turn to skate is not immediately imminent -- I do not think it is uncommon for them to cover their ears for this purpose. I have seen video.

But I do not know whether skaters attempt this method when they are the very next to skate and about to take the ice.

mhu714

On the Ice
I'm pretty sure that in the old days everyone's slot was a from a draw bec I have a strong memory of Kwan skating in the first group (at worlds not Olys). I don't remember it ending up a factor so will be interested to see if Kim ends up getting screwed for being in the 3rd to last group.

mhu714

On the Ice
I'm now 12 pages in so can't remember who actually predicted Gold 11th and Ashley 17th but want to ask: are you on drugs? Some of what I'm about to say will not be popular but it is MHO: If Julia wins gold that'll be a travesty (and sad to say it could happen). She's 15, looks like she's 12 and just does not have the overall maturity to be getting PCS marks in the 70s. Yeah, she's stupendous for her age, has the kind of mental toughness I wish the US girls had and can twist herself into a pretzel which is quite impressive but really now. She's practically expressionless, has edge issues, and she really just needs to mature a little more. I also might be the one person here who does not love Carolina and am sick of her inflated PCS marks. If she skates like she did in the team event OK, but I've seen too many technically pedestrian skates over the past several years. I love Kim and if she does her job it should be no contest. I also love Asada and will be rooting for her but think she may be a little too anxious. I of course want the US ladies to do well but am afraid Ashley is now an afterthought w/the judges (but 17th? No way) and Gracie will not get the PCS of the others mentioned so cannot medal. Akiko is a dark horse if she does 2 clean programs. Sotnikova? She rarely skated her LP's this season w/o several mistakes so don't think she's a medal threat. My prediction: Gold: Kim Silver: Julia Bronze: Asada

millie

Medalist
I'm pretty sure that in the old days everyone's slot was a from a draw bec I have a strong memory of Kwan skating in the first group (at worlds not Olys). I don't remember it ending up a factor so will be interested to see if Kim ends up getting screwed for being in the 3rd to last group.

If you think Kim is going to be screwed, what do you think is going to happen to Osmond skating 2nd in the 2nd. Group. Who decides who skates in what order?

prettykeys

Medalist
Well, at least, if just before Caro skates, Michael Huth tells her "this is only for your own good" and then punches her in the face, we'll know why! ;) JK
Dark humour. :biggrin:

I personally am nervous for Carolina and Mao. Unlucky draws, in my opinion. The Russian crowd will go wild for their stars, no matter what--I hope they can put that aside and do their best.

Carolina does have the chance for a favourable comparison against the young Julia, with her lofty pristine jumps, speed, and overall presence. Mao will have to skate a lights-out SP because Adelina has quite a bit of star power of her own, along with huge jumps that might make Mao look a little small.

Ashley is going to have a tough go as well, in that final group flanked by all these stars.

YuNa, Kanako, Gracie have great spots.

mhu714

On the Ice
If you think Kim is going to be screwed, what do you think is going to happen to Osmond skating 2nd in the 2nd. Group. Who decides who skates in what order?

I didn't say Kim will be screwed just that I'll be interested to see what happens. You can't really compare her to Osmond, who isn't expected to get great marks regardless of when she skates.

zamboni step

Final Flight
The way I see it, it's not a good jump technique. And the judges should be taking -1 off whatever GOE they establish for cheats less than 1/4.

But I guess at these OWG, there's also Lipnitskaia's quite small jumps and unclear take-off edges to pick at. ;)

There's also her borderline 3Lz, that thing is pretty close. I don't get why only Mao is being slammed for this when honestly almost every jump is like that in a 3-3 unless you're Elizaveta Tuktamisheva.

ivy

On the Ice

The skaters are grouped based on their current ISU ranking, then within those groups there is a random draw

badknees

Medalist
Well, after watching the free dance......................... the audience reactions to anyone besides the russian skaters was deplorable. I have no idea how to do this but the word needs to get out in Sochi that the ladies figure skating competition needs to be packed out as much as possible with non-russians. This is so unfair to all the non-russian skaters and so against the meaning and spirit of the word Olympics. Anyone with contacts in Sochi? Please get this word out. This russian audience needs to realize how selfish they are acting.

Krislite

Medalist
Well, after watching the free dance......................... the audience reactions to anyone besides the russian skaters was deplorable. I have no idea how to do this but the word needs to get out in Sochi that the ladies figure skating competition needs to be packed out as much as possible with non-russians. This is so unfair to all the non-russian skaters and so against the meaning and spirit of the word Olympics. Anyone with contacts in Sochi? Please get this word out. This russian audience needs to realize how selfish they are acting.

The tickets were sold in advance very long ago. There isn't anything anyone can do at this point. Yulia and Adelina will get 99% of all the cheers and ovations even if they don't podium.

badknees

Medalist
Hhmmm.......perhaps all the non-russians in the audience need to bring in boomboxes with taped audience cheers and make it super loud for all skaters!

miki88

Medalist
There's also her borderline 3Lz, that thing is pretty close. I don't get why only Mao is being slammed for this when honestly almost every jump is like that in a 3-3 unless you're Elizaveta Tuktamisheva.

Seriously. I think if judges want to be that harsh, we will see the issue pop up in far more skaters than expected. Besides, she has much more to offer besides the jumps.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Well, maybe they need to move the Olympics back to Greece cause I remember this happening in every country where it has been held. Russians are no different. Of course they are going to cheer for their countrymen. Just like Canada did for the Canadians and U.S. did for our skaters. I heard a big cheer for Davis and White. Did you ever think NBC is muting the crowd? No need to continually be snarky about Russian crowds. I guess it is the fad of the day to belittle the Russians but I have traveled there often and have always been treated with respect.

badknees

Medalist
I'm not attempting to belittle Russians. But I do believe these crowds at this olympics in figure skating are not cheering nicely and with enthusiasm for all skaters. I have never experienced in 35 years of watching figure skating on TV, half of the audience geting up and leaving because the only skater from their country pulled out. That is just basic rude concert etiquette. That being said, I am a musician and used to polite concert behavior and this is a sport. So, I guess you could compare it to the fans leaving a baseball game when their team has no chance of winning. Although I don't think the fans of the Denver Broncos in the latest American superbowl got up and left. They stayed and supported.

I guess I feel that this is the Olympics and it's about bringing all countries together in a celebration of the best performances in sport. It simply does not look like these audiences at this olympics for figure skating care about any of the athletes except the russian athletes. That to me is very disheartening for all the other athletes.

desertskates

Medalist
My opinion continues to change as we get closer and closer. I do think it will be Yuna and Yulia at the top barring any spectacular implosions, but something tells me for bronze through 5 or 6 we're in for surprises. There's no reason anyone should buy into my gut feelings, except that I'm good at predicting the gender of friends' babies, lol. :laugh: