Korea revenge in 2018? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Korea revenge in 2018?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Ah, OK. 2020 went to Tokyo, who they picked over Istanbul.

Well thank god Istanbul did not get it or it would have been 4 crazy choices in a row. Munich should clearly have gotten the 2018 games and it was a disgrace they didnt just for the sake of "diversity". They had a great presentation and campaign too.

elee63

Final Flight
At this point, it's less about what Yuna Kim wants and more about restoring S. Korea's "face". The nation feels like it got picked on by Russians during Sochi and is ashamed of the powerlessness/ineptness of the KSU.

Oh PLEASE don't explain to us what you think are the sentiments of an entire nation. They have principles too. For Pete's sake.

elee63

Final Flight
the only ones who are itching for a payback are no one else but the Yuna fans
how ironic ? not so much :rolleye:

Not even. Just the odd nationalist. Yuna fans wouldn't be Yuna fans if they wanted revenge vicariously through other skaters. They want Yuna to have a gold medal.
Most Yuna fans I know don't even know that much about figure skating itself.

elee63

Final Flight
Short answer to this thread is yes!

SK is famous for its ultra patriotism and vengeance. It happened many times before in different sports. 2018, it may not be in the figure skating, but I am sure Russia will suffer here and there.

Not if SK have no upandcoming talent, while the Russian babies flourish. Sure Koreans tend to lean toward a form of overzealous nationalism, but they won't be able to pull anything off unless the race isn't close between a few contenders.

no contenders=nothing for us to argue about

elee63

Final Flight
I am not sure there will even be an Olympics in 2018 ! South Korea was not a good choice and I am pretty sure the way the North is acting now they may try to sabotage the whole event . North Korea is the scariest place on earth right now because they just don't care .

Oh, but they do care. My friend, go do some research before you shoot your mouth like that.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Adelina was in the 2013 Worlds. She underperformed there. Had a lacklustre season that year, but the potential has always been there. The judges were absolutely willing to give her good scores if she didn't bomb like in GPF, the signs were there. I'm not defending her win in Sochi, I actually think that Yuna should have won. But it wasn't as surprising as many seemed to think. Adelina was in the perfect position because all the pressure and attention was on Julia.

Even had Sotnikova skated cleanly at the 2013 worlds the best she would have finished was 4th place, and that was with Asada and Kostner having huge errors. That would also mean of course losing to Yu Na by over 20 points. Of course she wasnt in Russia and so would get scores reflective of her actual skating ability, rather than Putin's wallet, just as she would have had the Olympics not been held in Sochi, Russia. I agree Sotnikova should have always been considered a threat but only because the Olympics were in Sochi, Russia, nothing to do with her and her so called skating whatsoever.

Anastasi14

On the Ice
A lot of people in Russia thought that Irina Slutskaya was robbed and they hoped for revenge. I'm not talking about the figure skating fans, just usual viewers, who watch figure skating once in four years. For all those years a lot of them have been disinterested who actually will win the ladies event, whoever only not an American. And popularity of Irina in Russia was not even close to popularity of Yuna in Korea.

So, I belive Korea can do something. But not so obvious like Russians did. They don't need the Korean girl to beat the Russian girl, i don't think it's possible. But they can cooperate with other Federations and push someone else, for example Gold or Edmunds, or other not-Russian girl who will be on the top, for example.

cooper

Medalist
as to the fear of the korean crowd booing any russians in pyeongchang because of what happened in sochi.. that's ridiculous.. yuna still invited russian skaters to her show this coming all that skate in May..i doubt the koreans will hold grudges at the russians at all.. i know it's heartbreaking for them but i doubt they will do anything stupid.. as for the korean skating union.. well they're a laughing stock in korea.. like what i said they are horrible in politicking...:laugh:

Jewels

On the Ice
Unless So-Youn becomes a medal contendor, I think the figure skating popularity will cease down in Korea within 4 years. And KSU won't be likely to do anything as they have said they are cautious with ISU few days ago lol. Although Sotnikova may not be forgotten, I don't think people will hold grudges against the Russia until then. We're hoping for Pyeongchang to be great for our country's sake, and I hope no one wants to ruin it by booing any athletes because of their country.

I am not sure there will even be an Olympics in 2018 ! South Korea was not a good choice and I am pretty sure the way the North is acting now they may try to sabotage the whole event . North Korea is the scariest place on earth right now because they just don't care .

Yeah and I wonder how I am living through right beneath 'the scariest place on earth'. :rofl: I doubt they will do anything that stupid(despite how stupid they are) unless they are out of their minds and wants to have war with every other country in the world :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unless So-Youn becomes a medal contendor, I think the figure skating popularity will cease down in Korea within 4 years. And KSU won't be likely to do anything as they have said they are cautious with ISU few days ago lol. Although Sotnikova may not be forgotten, I don't think people will hold grudges against the Russia until then. We're hoping for Pyeongchang to be great for our country's sake, and I hope no one wants to ruin it by booing any athletes because of their country.

Yeah and I wonder how I am living through right beneath 'the scariest place on earth'. :rofl: I doubt they will do anything that stupid(despite how stupid they are) unless they are out of their minds and wants to have war with every other country in the world :laugh:
I've been waiting for a post like this. I know a few Americans with Korean parents and they are simply great. Maybe a bit nationalistic for me but never disrectful to others and frankly I respect them for holding on to their culture with pride. As I posted earlier I may know someone skating in 2018 and Id love to go myself. I feel like it is going to be a great Olympics for all. Thank you for your post!!!

nguyenghita

On the Ice
I just can not see Korea will do anything to revenge to Russia, they simply don't have any skater for them rely on :think:

But if Yuna *somehow* comeback again, that's a totally different story :laugh:

jaylee

Medalist
Yes, and they think that Sochi is a revenge, for SLC, for Vancouver. So, i think that Korea can have their revenge too, but the different way.

A lot of people in Russia thought that Irina Slutskaya was robbed and they hoped for revenge. I'm not talking about the figure skating fans, just usual viewers, who watch figure skating once in four years. For all those years a lot of them have been disinterested who actually will win the ladies event, whoever only not an American. And popularity of Irina in Russia was not even close to popularity of Yuna in Korea.

Yes, Russia had their revenge for Plushenko's loss in Vancouver and Slutskaya's loss in Salt Lake City. I knew it myself that Adelina's win was in part payback for Irina's loss in Salt Lake City. Ironically, her win ended up being as controversial outside of Russia as Sarah Hughes's was in Russia. Ironically, both skaters had the best performance of their career fueled by the support of the home crowd and errors that weren't noticeable to the larger public (flutzing, underrotating of 3/3s).

Of course, their revenge punished a skater who had nothing to do with either of those losses, but who cares about that.

Korea is not going to get any kind of return satisfaction for Sochi, ever. Their federation simply doesn't have the power now and not within 4 years.