2014-15 Grand Prix assignments | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Grand Prix assignments

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
GAO was #19 on the ISU World Standings list, higher than Zijun Li, Joshi Helgesson, Mirai Nagasu and Nathalie Weinzierl---that's why she got 2 assignments. Samantha was #25 on the list.

Crystallize

On the Ice
GAO was #19 on the ISU World Standings list, higher than Zijun Li, Joshi Helgesson, Mirai Nagasu and Nathalie Weinzierl---that's why she got 2 assignments. Samantha was #25 on the list.

Well that would explain it, too. Thanks.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
@Karne
Machida and Ten are tougher adversaries than Max or any of the Russians though (except maybe a returning Plush for the "blow to Artur's confidence factor" :laugh:). So I wouldn't say it's a good field for Artur. That being said, Artur can potentially beat the sloppy Machida of Sochi, or an underwhelming Ten. I expect Machida and Ten to skate relatively well with their new confidence boosts and momentum, but who knows, maybe it's just more pressure. I pegged Carolina to deliver at Worlds after the momentum she got from the Olympics (while Mao was under a lot more pressure, having had a disastrous Olympics and now skating at home), and we all know how that turned out...

@Gallavich
He tweeted that? Goodness, who is he learning his Twitter habits from? Well, for all I know, it could be about something totally different (World Cup exit :laugh:), but the likely possibility is that he is not happy about no CoR. I'm kinda with Aschiutza: I can see Kovtun being passed by others once it seems like he's not the only talent left in Russia.

I'm so happy for Voronov though, getting the CoR spot.

He sent the tweet after the Russia game, but he made a point of saying "in any sports," so it makes me wonder what kind of resentments he's harboring...:popcorn:

I think Artur will likely hover around fifth place or so at SA, but if he does better than that, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

caelum

On the Ice
The GPF looks so empty with all the retirements =(

Some misc. thoughts.

Ladies,

Gracie got a nice draw. Radionova can threaten at SA, but I think Gracie can hold her off, especially because of both higher PCs (legitimately deserved) + home country support. I think the worst case scenario for her is she finishes second at both NHK and SA, which would probably be enough to get her into GPF.

Lipnitskaya seems almost guaranteed a spot.

Wagner is going to need to be on for SC. Pogo can definitely topple her, but Wagner might be able to eek out a win since Wagner will have higher PCS, much like Gracie both deservedly-so and because of North American support.

No way Sotnikova doesn't win CoR. She'll need a meltdown to lose that event.

I see a lot of potential in So Youn Park myself. She has a long way to go, but I saw something in her at WC 2014. I would have liked to see her get an easier draw, like SC, so she could have squeaked into the GPF possibly, but it seems unlikely.

Prediction for GPF:

1 - Lipnitskaya
2 - Sotnikova
3 - Radionova
4 - Gold
5 - Pogorilaya
6 - Wagner

I said I thought Gold would beat Radionova at SA, but I think her nerves will hit her at the GPF. I very much like Wagner's skating and, as a performance, I'd very much prefer to watch her over any of these others women and girls, but, technically, I just don't think she can keep up anymore. All these younger girls can throw out fully rotates 3-3, 2A + 3T no problem, whereas Wagner seems to struggle and I don't see it magically coming together for her. She could get away without a consistent 3-3 in the long, but without one in the short it puts her at a big deficit. I wish she could have come of age as a skater around the 2006 Olympics =(

For the men,

Hanyu and Fernandez have a cake-walk into the GPF. Machida and Ten seem similarly easily poised to get in. I think Yan and Mura will be the two slots. Mura will probably easily take 2nd at NHK and SC whereas Yan should at least get 2nd at CoC and 3rd at TEB. Maybe Kovtun could sneak in, but I doubt it.

GPF Predictions:
1 - Fernandez
2 - Hanyu
3 - Machida
4 - Ten
5 - Yan
6 - Mura

In principle I think Hanyu should win this, but Fernandez strikes me as a skater who can feed off a hometown crowd, something he isn't used to, and will barely hold out Hanyu who will likely make mistakes in an even more insanely exhausting backloaded program. Machida seems like the natural 3rd then Ten. I could see it going either way between Yan and Mura, but I think Yan is going to improve this season.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
To be honest i don't see why Christina Gao got 2 GP events since not only is she going back to college but she had a mediocre year last season. Samantha Cesario really had the better year and should have gotten 2 assignments.

Isnt Christina continuing in Harvard ?
that may be a distraction to her practices, I dont see much of a medal chance for her
might as well have given her slot to another American not named Caroline Zhnag

anyanka

Record Breaker
I saw them at an ice show in Korea last May. They looked great.

Wonderful. :)
They're certainly sentimental favorites, my heart broke for them when they missed the entire Olympic season.
I bet Team Moskvina is hungry for victory this year.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Uh, it's pretty apparent that Skate Canada and Skate America are pretty evenly matched in terms of difficulty. In fact, SA has 2 skaters who placed in the top 12 at Worlds last year and Skate Canada has 4.

Due to the retirement of Suzuki and the non-participation of Asada and Kostner, the seeds dipped down to the 9th skater, and the top 12 dipped down to the top 15, which included Meite and Helgesson, so the SA has two from the top 12 as well.

NOTE: SC also picked Hae Jin KIM who placed 23rd and LAST at Worlds.

IMO, Radionova and Tuktamysheva are much tougher competition than Leonova, Imai is tougher than Hongo, and Meite is tougher than Weinzierl.

BTW, I suspect when it came to the 4-6 seed round, Skate Canada didn't get first pick, because if they did they would have chosen So Youn Park instead of Wagner. They probably would have preferred Gold as well, but the top seeds sort themselves out and that wasn't going to happen.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I know. Sorry, I know it is his decision and all but c'mon. He wasn't that great last season. He did exactly what everyone predicted in Sochi & worlds.
He's 29!

I get that he can do whatever he wants but the endless Jeremy ups and downs are getting really really old.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I get that he can do whatever he wants but the endless Jeremy ups and downs are getting really really old.
Lets hope that Jason,Max and Josh beat Jeremy whenever they face him so he gets the message that his time is up. The way it's going he's going to hold out until he faces Nathen Chen. :no: Speaking of Nathan any word if he's to skate as a Senior at Nationals this season?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lets hope that Jason,Max and Josh beat Jeremy whenever they face him so he gets the message that his time is up. The way it's going he's going to hold out until he faces Nathen Chen. :no: Speaking of Nathan any word if he's to skate as a Senior at Nationals this season?

What an ugly suggestion! I hope Jeremy skates his best ever. He should retire when he is ready to do so, not when so-called skating fans who don't appreciate his talent say he should.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know. Sorry, I know it is his decision and all but c'mon. He wasn't that great last season. He did exactly what everyone predicted in Sochi & worlds.
He's 29!

Yeah, and with Aaron he helped win back 3 places for men at 2015 Worlds, something the much younger Miner, Rippon, and Dornbush were never able to do.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Yeah, and with Aaron he helped win back 3 places for men at 2015 Worlds, something the much younger Miner, Rippon, and Dornbush were never able to do.

Yes at a watered down worlds where he still fell in the SP and stumbled in his LP. By now he should have meddled at Worlds if he is as great as he seems to think he is.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Lets hope that Jason,Max and Josh beat Jeremy whenever they face him so he gets the message that his time is up.

Oh, let's not. Jeremy medaled on the GP, was National Champ, and was 5th at Worlds (skating injured) , the highest ranking US Man, and responsible for getting the US a 3rd slot.

I hope he reaches his goals of a World Medal and two quads in his Long. (highly unlikely at age 29.....but, if he wants to try, and enjoys competing- he's earned the right to go for it. )

I just hope he stays healthy.

I wish there was a series of pro competitions for skaters.

Jeremy will most likely have a high GP and a low GP. (If he decides to compete) He is competitive with the youngun's.....

No skater is perfect.

Jason needs to fix his 3A and get quads.

Max needs skating skills- he usually has the jumps..but not always.

Josh is just about perfect...if he can finally get it together.

It's gonna be a horse race this year for the us men.

One older horse shouldn't be a problem.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And when have Rippon, Miner, Dornbush, Aaron medaled at Worlds? None of them have ever finished as high as fifth or have been seeded in the GP as Abbott is this year?

Abbott DID win the GPF a few years back, as a matter of fact.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Jeremy is also a 4 time US Champ -nothing can take that away from him.

He goes after the quad.

I hope it's a fair playing field this year and Jason doesn't get 0ver-scored. (as well as over hyped and over promoted due to his connections which give him an unfair advantage)

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Oh, let's not. Jeremy medaled on the GP, was National Champ, and was 5th at Worlds (skating injured) , the highest ranking US Man, and responsible for getting the US a 3rd slot.

I hope he reaches his goals of a World Medal and two quads in his Long. (highly unlikely at age 29.....but, if he wants to try, and enjoys competing- he's earned the right to go for it. )

I just hope he stays healthy.

I wish there was a series of pro competitions for skaters.

Jeremy will most likely have a high GP and a low GP. (If he decides to compete) He is competitive with the youngun's.....

No skater is perfect.

Jason needs to fix his 3A and get quads.

Max needs skating skills- he usually has the jumps..but not always.

Josh is just about perfect...if he can finally get it together.

It's gonna be a horse race this year for the us men.

One older horse shouldn't be a problem.

No skater is perfect but some of us do not enjoy Jeremy's skating. I wish him well as a person, but I am not a fan of his skating, and look forward to a post-Jeremy era in US skating.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jeremy is also a 4 time US Champ -nothing can take that away from him.

He goes after the quad.

I hope it's a fair playing field this year and Jason doesn't get 0ver-scored. (as well as over hyped and over promoted due to his connections which give him an unfair advantage)

Please stop it with the connections thing. Jason had earned his opportunities till now. No need to put down another skater to defend your favorite.

That said I wish Jeremy luck in whatever he ends up doing.

Last edited:

centerpt1

On the Ice
Last year I believe Jason was over hyped for a guy with an iffy 3A and no quads.

He got promotional opportunities others didn't because of his parent's connections. TRUE. He did. You can't say he didn't

He had a great Jr career.

He is being groomed to be National Champ.

I hope he is judged fairly. That's all anyone can ask for.

centerpt1

On the Ice
No skater is perfect but some of us do not enjoy Jeremy's skating. I wish him well as a person, but I am not a fan of his skating, and look forward to a post-Jeremy era in US skating.

We all have our preferences. Otherwise we wouldn't be skating fans.