Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 51 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

maya1985

On the Ice
I came back from Masters and I had the chance to see two splendid programs. I am too very skeptical about some reviews because I do not have the impression of having seen the same thing.
The short dance is a real jewel: lightness, humor, a pure happiness for the eyes… The second part is brilliant, they’re happy to skate and it’s contagious…
Gabriella’s dress goes perfectly.
The free dance is, for me, an other jewel not because of the music but because of the two dancers who dancing. I don’t like the music, it’s not form me. We forget the music (I will be unable to recognize it). It’s totally put in the background By Gabriella and Guillaume, by their interpretation: we forget everything, when the program ends you have the impression that he has just begin, we don’t see the difficulties, we know immediately that nothing will happen to them. They sublimate the music, they skate over.
I’m sure some changes will be made: we are in October not in March. I’m not worried for the future.
The outfits are stunning, simples
Most people in the rink was standing for an ovation… so I’m not totally crazy…:hap85:
Sorry for my poor English:palmf:but I wanted to share these moments.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
Finally a video from the Japan Open gala. They skated to Belvedere and there is a short interview (really short unfortunately) at the end.
I'm happy you feel so confident Maya about their program. Their skating is just unique whichever music they choose to skate to. I hope they won't be discourage by some background noises from people claiming they have no range and this is just same old from them. TBH I would take the so called "same old" of that sort of transcending and amazing skating over any other type of skating any day :love:

cocotaffy

Final Flight
Quite endearing, their english was not on point there Gaby who is rather good looked tired and couldn't find her words. I especially laughed at the end when she said: "I hope we won't deceive you" (well she meant disappoint obviously) Get some rest Gaby, the season is about to be the most difficult one yet I think. Lots of people are starting to say they are repeating themselves one time to many with this FD and the avant-garde promised is not there. I'm worried there will be a backlash this year after so much success so young and so quick. I feel with V/M returning people are ready to turn their back on gaby and Guillaume :( Everyone one (all the commentators) were chanting their praise but I can bet this year it will all be about V/M. Another challenge yet for them to overcome. I wish they would call a contemporary dance expert to help them channel sharper movements in their FD though. They might also need to start working with other choreographer to grow and expand even more the way they move.

Plumededragon

Medalist
Quite endearing, their english was not on point there Gaby who is rather good looked tired and couldn't find her words. I especially laughed at the end when she said: "I hope we won't deceive you" (well she meant disappoint obviously) Get some rest Gaby, the season is about to be the most difficult one yet I think. Lots of people are starting to say they are repeating themselves one time to many with this FD and the avant-garde promised is not there. I'm worried there will be a backlash this year after so much success so young and so quick. I feel with V/M returning people are ready to turn their back on gaby and Guillaume :( Everyone one (all the commentators) were chanting their praise but I can bet this year it will all be about V/M. Another challenge yet for them to overcome. I wish they would call a contemporary dance expert to help them channel sharper movements in their FD though. They might also need to start working with other choreographer to grow and expand even more the way they move.
I honestly don't care for the V/M thing. People are easy to lash out on P/C because they don't like their style and don't see their constant improvement (oh and because their fav didn't win against them, of course).
V/M (along with White during his commentary at Worlds) have praised them, and I trust them and the judges on seeing the unique beauty they create. Beside, their programs are still a work in progress, we saw that and P/C confirmed it. People should remember that programs are rarely (if never) ready and on point this early in the season, it's a constant evolution.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
Cocotaffy, have you any idea how hard it is to speak another language?
Give the girl a break, she is doing just great, they both are!

I know what it is the speak another language well enough. I've been living abroad for many years now in two different countries and I had to learn quite a difficult language to be able to live in the country I'm in now. I thought my english was rather good but I apparently still have to make some efforts because you misunderstood my point about Gaby ;) I was merely poking fun and finding it cute while also being just concerned because she did look pale and tired (but of course jetlag plus the Masters were just after this interview). I love that team so much I'll be the last one to attack them on the contrary. They brought me to skating and made me a fan.

As for your other point, I hope you're right. I really hope the tide won't change as fast as it came. But I have a tendency to think about the worst case scenario so don't mind me and my pessimistic views, I'll just ramble in my corner :biggrin:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Lots of people are starting to say they are repeating themselves one time to many with this FD and the avant-garde promised is not there. I'm worried there will be a backlash this year after so much success so young and so quick. I feel with V/M returning people are ready to turn their back on gaby and Guillaume :( Everyone one (all the commentators) were chanting their praise but I can bet this year it will all be about V/M. Another challenge yet for them to overcome. I wish they would call a contemporary dance expert to help them channel sharper movements in their FD though. They might also need to start working with other choreographer to grow and expand even more the way they move.

Well, I think their avant-garde FD could be a great masterpiece although I wish the program has more dynamic movements to pace to the experimental music (still yeah..at least in our sport). You might've seen my complaint about their SD somewhere, but I tend to raise a higher bar for my favorites, so I believe you also saw my criticism on V/T's FD as well (I like them as much as P/C). I don't think P/C repeat their previous programs, but the problem is that everyone is COPYING their styles...I would like to blame it for their Montreal staffs as they are currently taking so many ice dancers without discernible styles to their each students/clients. On the other hand, since they have been the leader so far, I expected they could change the all-pervading tread as trying with a new style. I like your idea of inviting dance experts.

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Final Flight
I agree about other teams copying P/C being detrimental to them. Coaches do have a part to play in this for sure. It does put pressure on P/C to move forward another direction but their style is so personal and even in their younger years one could sense it. I believe Romain did make a mistake in his interview pre-Masters by both stating other teams copying P/C and that being aware of it , they chose a more avant-garde approach for the FD. He shouldn't have label it and leave everyone to their own interpretation. But hey, what's done is done. They have work ahead and I hope they'll get help as I said.

You might've seen my complaint about their SD somewhere, but I tend to raise a higher bar for my favorites, so I believe you also saw my criticism on V/T's FD as well (I like them as much as P/C).
I don't remember what you said about their SD, I thought it to be rather good and it shows a different side to their skating and interpretation, light and fun. Good contrast to the FD. I also appreciate the transition, the smoothest one among all the teams right now. Their skating style is radically different in the last section where they took the advices of a lindy hop pro if I'm not mistaken and it shows, bodies bent forward, more attack in the steps far from their flowy style. What was your take on it ?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I agree about other teams copying P/C being detrimental to them. Coaches do have a part to play in this for sure. It does put pressure on P/C to move forward another direction but their style is so personal and even in their younger years one could sense it. I believe Romain did make a mistake in his interview pre-Masters by both stating other teams copying P/C and that being aware of it , they chose a more avant-garde approach for the FD. He shouldn't have label it and leave everyone to their own interpretation. But hey, what's done is done. They have work ahead and I hope they'll get help as I said.

I don't remember what you said about their SD, I thought it to be rather good and it shows a different side to their skating and interpretation, light and fun. Good contrast to the FD. I also appreciate the transition, the smoothest one among all the teams right now. Their skating style is radically different in the last section where they took the advices of a lindy hop pro if I'm not mistaken and it shows, bodies bent forward, more attack in the steps far from their flowy style. What was your take on it ?

I said I was disappointed in their SD because the program is like "we've seen it a lot". I know I have to respect their choice as a fan, but I think they gave up hip-hop because it could be a direct comparison with V/M in competition. However, given the clips of Guillaume's amazing dancing abilities shown also in hip hop, I have no doubt that they would've made it well with hip hop. Therefore, I compromised with myself that their SD could be something different, but I feel the SD is conventional. They tend to make some minor errors in their SD than FD, so the choice could be a clever move for them though. As I rewatched through their past programs since 2014-15, I felt they have improved a lot in many elements like unison, flows and edge works, but Gaby is still not on par with Guillaume. V/T's strength are in those qualities, so well, the SD requires sharp and more precise movements and rhythm just like classic ballet repertoire since everyone is so familiar with the kind of music and dance.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I honestly don't care for the V/M thing. People are easy to lash out on P/C because they don't like their style and don't see their constant improvement (oh and because their fav didn't win against them, of course).
V/M (along with White during his commentary at Worlds) have praised them, and I trust them and the judges on seeing the unique beauty they create.
People may have a higher expectation for P/C because they are the current leaders. People always want more and best of best. It can sound unfair, but they are the ones who have led the current trend after Sochi. People may be just tired of watching same things over and over from all dancing teams who are rather not diligent in finding their own identity and style. Anyway, I think P/C and V/M set up a good rivalry which could give us exciting moments in the sport.

Beside, their programs are still a work in progress, we saw that and P/C confirmed it. People should remember that programs are rarely (if never) ready and on point this early in the season, it's a constant evolution.
This is the truth that I should keep in mind.

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
on the Gabriella and Guillaume "repeating" themselves and "always doing the same mush" comments I read everywhere on youtube, honestly that is kinda funny to me I don't think their programs are similar at all but oh well. What is ironic is that the same people will praise to hell and back V/M for their new FD that is really inspired by Gabi and Guillaume style or team like Hubbell/Donohue, the Spanish, the Danish who all are heavily inspired by the French and are all doing the same "style" of program. For me it really proves the fact these people just dislike Gabriella and Guillaume themselves, not their programs. If V/M were dancing that FD, everyone would be ranting about how they are amazing, the best dancers ever blablabla
Obviously we all have our favorites but I was always extremely surprised how polarizing Gabi and Guillaume are and how disliked they are by some dance fans. I just dont get it at all.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
What is ironic is that the same people will praise to hell and back V/M for their new FD that is really inspired by Gabi and Guillaume style or team like Hubbell/Donohue, the Spanish, the Danish who all are heavily inspired by the French and are all doing the same "style" of program. For me it really proves the fact these people just dislike Gabriella and Guillaume themselves, not their programs. If V/M were dancing that FD, everyone would be ranting about how they are amazing, the best dancers ever blablabla
Obviously we all have our favorites but I was always extremely surprised how polarizing Gabi and Guillaume are and how disliked they are by some dance fans. I just dont get it at all.
Yes, that's why it will be interesting to see how the commentators are gonna react. Personally, I love Hubbell/Donohue too and I enjoy some of V/M's programs. V/M are great champions and excellent skaters whose fan base is quite big. They also endured the D/W vs V/M war of the trenches so maybe they expect P/C's fan to react the same way hence the defensive approach. Anyway, as long as the professionals and the judges are doing their jobs, I don't mind the fans. Not everyone will like P/C and that's fine (do you see what I did there trying to convince myself I don't care as if in fact I was not irritated deep deep down :angry1:) Ah, the life of a skating fan can be frustrating.

yuna13

On the Ice
"Not everyone will like P/C and that's fine (do you see what I did there trying to convince myself I don't care as if in fact I was not irritated deep deep down ) Ah, the life of a skating fan can be frustrating. " so right!!
je suis pas seule. :)

Mattieu

Medalist
I am anxious about that FD, it didn't give me goosebumps like the last 2 seasons FD :(

For those who are saying Gabriella looks weaker in this FD, please realise that she is just slower at learning new stuff, but she is more than capable and it will be fine by the GPs :)