Women and the Quad | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

Claudalie

Rinkside
For you.

Your taste.

Yes she's inconsistent. Like Trusova and Scherbakova are inconsistents with their quads. Because 3A/quads are difficult as hell.

Not only for me - but many professional coaches and skaters, also commentators, and the same goes for the taste.

TR and SH are more consistent with their quads but I don't know about their 3A consistency. I just emphasized the fact that the fuss around Kihira's 3A was so big that when she failed it, the program fell apart, although she skated the rest of it well. For one mistake she was placed 7th in SP...

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Not only for me - but many professional coaches and skaters, also commentators, and the same goes for the taste.
Who? I want to see at least 10 names with links that prove this opinion. Since this opinion seems so popular that you talk about it as an universal fact.

TR and SH are more consistent with their quads but I don't know about their 3A consistency.
Scherbakova who didn't land a single clean quad in international competition is more consistent with her quad than Kihira with her 3A?
Trusova who landed two clean quads in intl competition this season just once?
There is not 3A consistency since they never landed that jump.

For one mistake she was placed 7th in SP...
7th with 70 points. I don't know many skaters able to get 70 points without an entire element that worth at least 8 points.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Your taste.

Of course all opinions about programs will always be subjective, and we all have different tastes.
But I think comparing Rika's Claire de Lune and the one that Mao did, because the comparisons were inevitable (and Wilson's choreo wasn't great this season), I think Rika's falls short for me.
In general, Wilson did a pretty bad job this year for many skaters, and Claire de lune was no exception.

That's not a dig on Rika, but on David Wilson, who really messed up quite a few programs this year.
Claire de lune has so much potential to be elegant, sophisticated and light and he made a bland princess program, which is an injustice to that wonderful piece.

Claudalie

Rinkside
Who? I want to see at least 10 names with links that prove this opinion. Since this opinion seems so popular that you talk about it as an universal fact.

Scherbakova who didn't land a single clean quad in international competition is more consistent with her quad than Kihira with her 3A?
Trusova who landed two clean quads in intl competition this season just once?

7th with 70 points. I don't know many skaters able to get 70 points without an entire element that worth at least 8 points.

I am not going to collect all the names for you or start searching for the videos I watched and post links here for you to prove a point.... If you're interested, you can watch the videos from different competitions of the last season on youtube covered by different commentators from different countries and listen to what they were saying when she performed. That does not necessarily mean that's a universally accepted fact, just an opinion shared by many professionals...So it's not only my opinion - to answer your post. Your tone smacks of attack and I did not attack anybody, just shared my take on something. I am not a fan of Kihira or Trusova or Sherbakova. If all three of them jump 15 quads and 3As:) I will be happy for them....because I am a fan of figure skating and enjoy good performances.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Of course all opinions about programs will always be subjective, and we all have different tastes.
But I think comparing Rika's Claire de Lune and the one that Mao did, because the comparisons were inevitable (and Wilson's choreo wasn't great this season), I think Rika's falls short for me.
In general, Wilson did a pretty bad job this year for many skaters, and Claire de lune was no exception.

That's not a dig on Rika, but on David Wilson, who really messed up quite a few programs this year.
Claire de lune has so much potential to be elegant, sophisticated and light and he made a bland princess program, which is an injustice to that wonderful piece.

Mao's clair de lune is clearly superior IMO. Very few programs exceeded hers. Exactly, Wilson choreo wasn't great. I think that Beautiful storm was Rika's strongest program.

But, even if clair de lune wasn't the best program, her strong artistic skills made this program really looks like a real program, 3A or not. Unlike others. None of her programs was dependant of her 3A.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Your tone smacks of attack and I did not attack anybody, just shared my take on something. I am not a fan of Kihira or Trusova or Sherbakova. If all three of them jump 15 quads and 3As:) I will be happy for them....because I am a fan of figure skating and enjoy good performances.
That is not the impression that i got when i read your posts here and in another thread. But well, i can accept that i made a mistake. Glad that you're just a fan of figure skating, like me.
Personnaly i can't wait to see the battle between those 3 (and others) next season. It will be great.

Claudalie

Rinkside
That is not the impression that i got when i read your posts here and in another thread. But well, i can accept that i made a mistake. Glad that you're just a fan of figure skating, like me.
Personnaly i can't wait to see the battle between those 3 (and others) next season. It will be great.

There will be a battle, I am sure:) There are too many girls out there who may pull a dark horse and leave the favorites high and dry...who knows? :) Next season is going to be interesting.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Well, for this coming season, Rika seems to be going in the opposite direction of the sweet Claire de Lune program with what sounds like a high-energy SP from Shae-Lynn.

Hope she gains more consistency with 3A, and will be exciting to see her attempt 4S in competition.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
To make things even more interesting, Tursynbaeva already has a 4S and a 3A. She will be 20 next year, nothing to wait for, so I expect her to go for maximum difficulty. So, yes, it is going to be such an interesting and unpredictable season. Alina, Liza, Satoko, Evgenia, Kaori also have strong points, even without quads, the field will be extremely competitive.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Well, for this coming season, Rika seems to be going in the opposite direction of the sweet Claire de Lune program with what sounds like a high-energy SP from Shae-Lynn.

Hope she gains more consistency with 3A, and will be exciting to see her attempt 4S in competition.

Very very glad to know that she will do something different than Team Hamada's usual princess-like program.

To make things even more interesting, Tursynbaeva already has a 4S and a 3A. She will be 20 next year, nothing to wait for, so I expect her to go for maximum difficulty. So, yes, it is going to be such an interesting and unpredictable season. Alina, Liza, Satoko, Evgenia also have strong points, even without quads, the field will be extremely competitive.

Yes Lil Bet will have strong elements. I would like to see her be consistent with 3A and 4S. She wouldn't just fight for a medal, she would fight for gold.

Claudalie

Rinkside
To make things even more interesting, Tursynbaeva already has a 4S and a 3A. She will be 20 next year, nothing to wait for, so I expect her to go for maximum difficulty. So, yes, it is going to be such an interesting and unpredictable season. Alina, Liza, Satoko, Evgenia also have strong points, even without quads, the field will be extremely competitive.

Absolutely. We cannot disregard Tursynbaeva, can we? The girl is the first female skater landing a 4S at the worlds or any senior competition! She did pull a dark horse there snatching a silver from Medvedeva and leaving Kihira out of Medals. Since moving back to Eteri from Brian, she changed so much and improved technically by leaps. She's got both 4S and 3A and I would not be surprised if she does a combo with a quad. She is light and physically fit to pull it off. Liza 's 3A is the best I 've seen so far this season, at the WTT. No one knows what Alina will have in her sleeve either, so yes, next season will be super exciting!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I would rather like to see Lil Bet challenge Rika with 3A-3T as Rika is the one who ever did it. Or liza Tukt. But her 3A doesn't look as easy as Rika's which is praised by many professionals....

Claudalie

Rinkside
I would rather like to see Lil Bet challenge Rika with 3A-3T as Rika is the one who ever did it. Or liza Tukt. But her 3A doesn't look as easy as Rika's which is praised by many professionals....

Since I am rooting for Alina and hope she wins again, it will be interesting for me to see her challenging everyone with her skating and jumps. As far as 3As are discussed, Lisa's are the best I have seen this season - very tight and elegant. They were flawless at the worlds TT

theharleyquinn

Medalist

It's hard for me to imagine Liza getting a combination off of her 3A the way she typically lands it. We haven't seen Elizabet's 3A often enough yet, but based on it looks she has a good chance.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Ekaterina Kurakova was seen doing a 4S+3T last year. Since then she has switched from Russia to Poland, switched to TCC and will probably make her senior debut this season. Looking forward to see if she still has her Quad
https://youtu.be/TM_ov-URTCE

Claudalie

Rinkside
[QUOTEt. We haven't seen Elizabet's 3A often enough yet, but based on it looks she has a good chance.[/QUOTE]

Elizabet practicing 4S in combination with 3T + 3A are very promising. The jumps look perfectly tight with good rotating positions. She was just a little shaky on jumps at the Worlds but I believe she looks a lot stronger now in that department. I also believe she has a good chance in the upcoming season.

monochrom3

On the Ice
We haven't seen Elizabet's 3A often enough yet, but based on it looks she has a good chance.

Elizabet practicing 4S in combination with 3T + 3A are very promising. The jumps look perfectly tight with good rotating positions. She was just a little shaky on jumps at the Worlds but I believe she looks a lot stronger now in that department. I also believe she has a good chance in the upcoming season.

Just like to add that Lilibet was shown doing a 4S-3T as well. No puberty issues either since she's 20. Trusova aside, She's going to be the skater to watch in the upcoming season.
Scherbakova, if she can land her jumps should do well – they removed the second quad in her program in the latter half of the season and it definitely helped her consistency. But we'll have to see for now.
Rika, has improved with consistency in general over the past year wrt 3A, with greater success on the 3A-3T. Nevertheless the short program really showed that she still needs work considering she barely cleaned it at all the whole season. I haven't seen her do a 4S that isn't underrotated thus far, but she has the whole season to get it down so we'll see. 4S and 3A-3T is gonna be pretty high risk and high rewards for her. She has the advantage of having some experience with seniors that Trusova or Scherbakova don't, and for now, the PCS advantage, but PCS rises with tech in general and that won't hold up if there are more skaters doing harder layouts and landing them.

Consistency is always going to be an issue with the quad, or a 3A. And we should expect falls and underrotations, looking at men's alone should give everyone a pretty good idea. Having either won't necessarily guarantee a win if you can't stick it, and at the end of the day, what happens in practice is moot if you don't land it in theory. Having the quad is great for the sport, imo, it really pushes things forwards, but neither Miki Ando with her 4S nor Mao Asada with her 3A won an Olympic Gold in the end. At the end of the day, having those jumps makes you a better jumper, but not necessarily a better competitor. There's a long road ahead still.