Pairs: Side-by-side Biellmann Spin! | Golden Skate

Pairs: Side-by-side Biellmann Spin!

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
I was streaming the Junior GP Czech Skate today at work and noticed Lina Fedorova and Maxim Miroshkin of Russia do something I've never seen before -- side by side Biellmann spins!

BWLr8qT.gif

They're pretty well in sync, too, until the one-handed Biellmann. Ironically, his spins seem to be better than hers :p

Full video (at 1:41): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qADHRAxbVI

Are there any other pairs in the world that do this??

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Amazing, I don't follow pairs much so I can't tell you whether or not other pairs have done this before but wow, thanks for sharing

His Biellmann is as good as Christian Michael Martinez's

Meoima

Match Penalty
I wonder will this pair keep this spin until senior. :popcorn:

As for me, I am not fond of Biellmann by men, but well... If it's pair then It's amazing!,

francefox

Rinkside
i think later in their career, the guy will have difficulty maintaining that form considering he will be doing all the lifting be it in competition or practice still alot of stress will be put on his back

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Amazing, I don't follow pairs much so I can't tell you whether or not other pairs have done this before but wow, thanks for sharing

His Biellmann is as good as Christian Michael Martinez's

Actually, it's better IMO! He puts both hands on the blade. His back one-handed Biellmann is also lovely (even better than hers)

Thanks for this clip though... that's the best Biellmann I've ever seen a man do, right there (at least in terms of leg position/hand holds/back arch, which is what the Biellmann is all about). Good job Maxim! :agree:

Great to see a pair doing that spin, in general. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
This is incredible! Good luck to them in the future, and I hope they both stay injury-free, to maintain the spin for the maximum amount of time. (They're actually pretty in sync too, until the second part).

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hot dang! :jaw:

I'm not really a fan of Bielmanns but this is spectacular. Agree w/ CanadianSkaterGuy that this is probably the best one ever from a man -- and better than a lot of the women as well.

The move @ 0.36 (don't know what to call it, sorry) is nifty, too, and they also do a very pretty death spiral. :clap:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I second that Hot Dang!! Watched the video and GIF several times today :slink:

gmyers

Record Breaker
They have been doing this for several seasons now and I am surprised he still does it so well.

caelum

On the Ice
Yeah, that is hands down the best Biellmann a man's ever done. Just a random side note, but I wonder if more men are capable of a Biellmann, but avoid it because it's so associated with women's figure skating?

The move @ 0.36 (don't know what to call it, sorry) is nifty, too, and they also do a very pretty death spiral. :clap:

If you are curious, it's called a cantilever. It's a beautiful move when done well (the one they did was pretty decent), especially when done by singles skater, but it's fairly rare to see in competition. I suspect because it's fairly difficult to master (at least to make it look good) and this scoring system wouldn't reward it at all, except perhaps through a minor PCS bump.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Their final spin was interesting too. I've never seen a spin where the guy does a one handed beilman while the girl is spinning around his foot.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I was streaming the Junior GP Czech Skate today at work and noticed Lina Fedorova and Maxim Miroshkin of Russia do something I've never seen before -- side by side Biellmann spins!

BWLr8qT.gif

They're pretty well in sync, too, until the one-handed Biellmann. Ironically, his spins seem to be better than hers :p

Full video (at 1:41): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qADHRAxbVI

Are there any other pairs in the world that do this??

Holy moly that is GOLD! (And I mean that literally!)