Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Off topic, but a U.S. skater without a GP assignment (e.g., someone like Jordan Moeller, but not Mirai) could get two Senior B assignments, right?
Max Aaron was assigned to SLC and Coupe de Nice in 2012.

Or this year, with three as the max. for the Challenger series, do you think USFS even might go that high for someone like Jordan?

Max had only one year in the 2010-2011 JGP, where he made the JGPF, finishing 4th. He won the 2011 US Junior championship and finished 5th at 2011 JW. But at that point, he had aged out of junior competition and didn't have enough competition experience to get a GP invitation or host pick. USFS sent him to Nebelhorn 2011 where he placed 5th.

In his first year competing as a Senior at US Nationals 2012, Max was 8th. He still did not get 2012-2013 GP assignments, so USFS sent him to two B events in the fall of 2012, and he finished 1st at the US Classic and 2nd at the Cup of Nice.

Jordan Moeller doesn't quite have the same record as Max Aaron. He, too, has aged out of juniors, but he did not come close to medalling in his two JGP events, so no JGPF, and he was 9th at JW. He won silver at Junior Nationals 2014. Note that Max did not get two B events until after he had finished top 10 at the US SENIOR Championships.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Really excited to see her again! I suspect we will see a whole different, much more maturer Mirai. A whole different team, wow Rippon full time choreographer. I am not sure if I like her choice of programs though, Madam Butterfly is all sort of cliche (She has already done Memoir of a Geisha...why repeat another victim, just don't do Miss Saigon next year, otherwise I am seriously giving back my Mirai fanship. Urgh...!)

I was looking on YouTube for her performances from that competition where she debuted her programs (Madame Butterfly and the other) but I can't find them. Doesn't anyone have a link?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That competition webcast was available to those who paid a fee to see it live or on demand. Posting videos from that webcast on Youtube or other sites is a violation of copyright laws. Those sites had to take the videos down to avoid prosecution.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Really excited to see her again! I suspect we will see a whole different, much more maturer Mirai. A whole different team, wow Rippon full time choreographer. I am not sure if I like her choice of programs though, Madam Butterfly is all sort of cliche (She has already done Memoir of a Geisha...why repeat another victim, just don't do Miss Saigon next year, otherwise I am seriously giving back my Mirai fanship. Urgh...!)
Mirai's Madam Butterfly has already debuted a month ago, her Madam Butterfly music is a difficult one to interpret (with lots of depth compare to her MoG), her Madam Butterfly choreo is very good, especially the second half start from her step sequence/vocal. highly recommend. and her performance already has a lot depth now, a new Mirai. She earned a very high PCS at that comp, although she had some mistakes in jumps. I think you will like it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai's FS earned 117 at Broadmoor compared to Polina's 135 at Glacier Falls. Mirai's 'very high' PCS was 62.56, which isn't all that high, considering it came from US judges (Gracie got 68.30 for her FS at US Nationals, 69.57 at Sochi and 66.69 at Worlds).

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
Well, If Tom Z is her coach, then I hope he has a plan to get her back to the podium at nationals and then a respectable showing @ 4cc or worlds. She's almost there.
She just needs a liitle more personality in her long programs and a triple salchow. She's got great programs this year so thats a start.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Well, If Tom Z is her coach, then I hope he has a plan to get her back to the podium at nationals and then a respectable showing @ 4cc or worlds. She's almost there. She just needs a liitle more personality in her long programs and a triple salchow. She's got great programs this year so thats a start.

It had been confirmed by Tom that he is coaching her. I watched the Broadmoore videos and noticed some technique re-working, especially on the flip. Her jumps look higher and her conditioning looked the best I've seen in a while. She didn't look at all winded and her Madame Butterfly choreography is much more difficult than her bond program. For a Summer comp it was pretty impressive and she hadn't been working with Tom long.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max had only one year in the 2010-2011 JGP, where he made the JGPF, finishing 4th. He won the 2011 US Junior championship and finished 5th at 2011 JW. But at that point, he had aged out of junior competition and didn't have enough competition experience to get a GP invitation or host pick. USFS sent him to Nebelhorn 2011 where he placed 5th.

In his first year competing as a Senior at US Nationals 2012, Max was 8th. He still did not get 2012-2013 GP assignments, so USFS sent him to two B events in the fall of 2012, and he finished 1st at the US Classic and 2nd at the Cup of Nice.

Jordan Moeller doesn't quite have the same record as Max Aaron. He, too, has aged out of juniors, but he did not come close to medalling in his two JGP events, so no JGPF, and he was 9th at JW. He won silver at Junior Nationals 2014. Note that Max did not get two B events until after he had finished top 10 at the US SENIOR Championships.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, chuckm. :)
I'm glad that Jordan received the assignment to SLC ... my fingers are crossed for another for him.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
she rotates too slow. nice attempt, though. better than her old attempt years ago

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
It's from 3 months ago so I wonder if it has improved in that time. She posted herself doing a 2A 3T and it looked great. Rotated ect. Tom seems to be working out so far.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think it would be kinder to call that an over-rotated 2A rather than a 3A attempt.

She even lands forward. It's not even close.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Looks underrotated to me but then again I am no expert, I'm happy to see her working hard though, I have high hopes for her

she rotates too slow. nice attempt, though. better than her old attempt years ago

It's from 3 months ago so I wonder if it has improved in that time. She posted herself doing a 2A 3T and it looked great. Rotated ect. Tom seems to be working out so far.

I think it would be kinder to call that an over-rotated 2A rather than a 3A attempt.

Thx for your posts. I too am no expert, and the truth is that I hesitated :think: before posting the link here b/c I wondered about the rotation.

Decided that Tom Z must have wanted the vid to be out there for people like us to see (in a positive light, hopefully), or else he would not have tweeted it.

Anyway, I trust that Mirai has continued to work on the jump and to make progress in the three months since the video was recorded. :)

icellist

On the Ice
A double axel is 2.5 revolutions. Triple axel is 3.5 revolution but 3.25 for credit. Mirai's look likes 3 revolutions. Only 2.5 revs before it counts! lol

silverlake22

Record Breaker

It's halfway between a 2a and a 3a if she's landing forward, but given the callers these days, yeah it would get a <<. Technically, though, if she can rotate the axel a hair over 3 revolutions, she SHOULD be getting credit for a 3a<, which is still worth a lot of points. But it seems like these days, jumps 1/4 cheated get < and more than 1/4 cheated get <<, even though jumps that get 3/4 of the way around are supposed to get full credit. Meh. Good landing though.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's halfway between a 2a and a 3a if she's landing forward, but given the callers these days, yeah it would get a <<. Technically, though, if she can rotate the axel a hair over 3 revolutions, she SHOULD be getting credit for a 3a<, which is still worth a lot of points. But it seems like these days, jumps 1/4 cheated get < and more than 1/4 cheated get <<, even though jumps that get 3/4 of the way around are supposed to get full credit. Meh. Good landing though.

Um, no, you're being ridiculous. This is 3A<< clear as day (forward landing is a dead giveaway) and some tech panels might (fairly) not even call it 3A, but consider it a messy 2A.