Only one JGP for Nathan Chen? | Golden Skate

Only one JGP for Nathan Chen?

longjiajia811

Rinkside
He is gonna compete in the last one JGP in Croatia , I suppose two assignments for every skater conventionally ? How could he make it to the JGPF ,then?:rolleye:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Chen has been injured. It is probably impossible for him to qualify for the JGPF

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Chen has been injured. It is probably impossible for him to qualify for the JGPF

It would be kind of interesting if someone qualified for the JGPF with only one JGP event. Not 100% impossible, but just very very unlikely.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Kwan did it one year...I think she subbed at Skate American and won...she declined the GPF though...if I remember correctly...regular Grand prix though not junior...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't think it's not impossible for Chen to qualify for JGPF. Kwan did it one year, as has been mentioned. Plushenko also did it in the 04-05 season (won his only GP, went to final, and won said final). Granted, that took a WD from Johnny Weir to happen, but it's possible.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I don't think it's not impossible for Chen to qualify for JGPF. Kwan did it one year, as has been mentioned. Plushenko also did it in the 04-05 season (won his only GP, went to final, and won said final). Granted, that took a WD from Johnny Weir to happen, but it's possible.

While not impossible EVER, I just checked and at this point it IS impossible since total points is main qualifier. There's already 7 different skaters with 16+ points, which means that Nathan, even with 15 points for a win, couldn't mathematically be in the top 6.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
While not impossible EVER, I just checked and at this point it IS impossible since total points is main qualifier. There's already 7 different skaters with 16+ points, which means that Nathan, even with 15 points for a win, couldn't mathematically be in the top 6.
It's possible... if somebody withdraws (I'm not wishing that on anyone. Just saying it's possible).

burntBREAD

Medalist
There's still two or three JGPs left, so there's probably going to be even more than 7 skaters with 16+ points.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
It's possible... if somebody withdraws (I'm not wishing that on anyone. Just saying it's possible).

We also have to consider there's only 5 of 7 events completed, and a substantial amount of skaters that could still get more than 15 points, pushing Nathan even farther down (assuming he'd win!)

Definitely would not wish that mass withdrawal on anyone. From the rules, it seems like the procedure is to just go down the list. The first three skaters are effectively on standby, but if that list got exhausted prior to the deadline, it's not the end.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
We also have to consider there's only 5 of 7 events completed, and a substantial amount of skaters that could still get more than 15 points, pushing Nathan even farther down (assuming he'd win!)

Definitely would not wish that mass withdrawal on anyone. From the rules, it seems like the procedure is to just go down the list. The first three skaters are effectively on standby, but if that list got exhausted prior to the deadline, it's not the end.
I'm just saying it's possible in theory. ;) Of course it's not very probable.

Icey

Record Breaker
And although Kwan qualified, she chose not to compete in the final, I believe. Curious as to who took her place that year.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He is gonna compete in the last one JGP in Croatia , I suppose two assignments for every skater conventionally ? How could he make it to the JGPF ,then?:rolleye:

Oh please, it's not some big conspiracy from the USFSA. It's called injury, and I'd rather see him take his time and come back slowly than being rushed back. Hopefully the USFSA learned their mistake from rushing Shotaro back.