Alena Leonova fights back | Golden Skate

Alena Leonova fights back

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alena Leonova once spearheaded the wave of talented Russian girls when she won the World Junior title in 2009, and was the first Russian lady in eight years to do so.

More

Violetti

On the Ice
Thank you. So nice to read this. I usually like her skating a lot. She has a personality and it is fun to see what kind of performances she has. I also like her attitude, not to give up because of young talented skaters.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Great drive and determination. :clap: I can't believe she actually went for 3F-3T without trying it in practice...

Layfan

Record Breaker
Thanks for the article! Nice to read what is going on with her. Very skeptical about the 3F-3T but I suppose she feels she has to go for it if she is to be a medal contender. I thought the Charlie Chaplin program looked really good on her and she performed it so well. She clearly loves it. I kind of wish the footwork were a bit more exciting or original to match with her cool performance. But it's so nice to see a lady skater doing this kind of thing. The tango is not a tango, sorry. Frankly I think few lady skaters have the sort of aura to pull of a good tango but it doesn't help that there is little tango in her choreo. It's just a basic COP program to tango music. But still, she is one of the few lady skaters out there with true personality. I'm pleased she is sticking around.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really like the fire and hope she will continue to grow. THe Charlie Chaplin routine is wonderful. Not so sure about her tango. She might be okay doing a comedic version. Very few ladies have the intensity - maybe Katarina Witt in her hey day and of course Bestemiova, Krylova and Klimova all had that exotic, diva like attitude. Sorry Davis and Virtue just don't cut it. She needs the 3F 3T sadly but I like the attack.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I've never been a fan of her "theatrical" skating, but I really admire those skaters who don't give up during the bad periods and just keep fighting despite having the chance to retire with some good achievements and despite the possiblity of being surpassed by new challengers. She was able to go through a "Phoenix-style" couple of years: from being World Silver Medalist to placing twice off the podium at Nationals, but coming back even stronger than before this year, with some good chances of GP medals; and, I really really love her Charlie Chaplin SP!! Good luck Alena :yes:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have always loved her fire and determination. Maybe a little cheesy during her Pirate SP a couple of seasons ago. However, my non skating dance students thought she was awesome. I have tons of respect for skaters who go through difficult times and come out on the other side.

Like Carolina K. She never seemed bitter during the down times and the best part, like Carolina, She never quit.:clap:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Consistency might be the name of the game for her. She looks up to Slutskaya (also a redhead Russian skater) and perhaps she's got some of her determination, too.

Let's not forget though that the competition for just three spots for Russian ladies is tough every year, and getting more and more difficult. This year alone we've got Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, and Radionova fighting for spots. Plus Tuk is on a mighty comeback of her own. Add to Leonova the following names: Serafima, Pogo, possibly Proklova. So Alena has her work cut out for her and insane competition. If she can remain consistently good and if the others falter, she could be back on top of the pile. Remember that around 04-06 the Japanese had Fumie, then Miki and Mao came on the scene, plus Yukari too, but it was Shizuka amongst the three who was first to claim a world title and the only one still to win Olympics, so you never know what will happen.

Good luck Alena!! :) And thanks for the post!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Consistency might be the name of the game for her. She looks up to Slutskaya (also a redhead Russian skater) and perhaps she's got some of her determination, too.

Let's not forget though that the competition for just three spots for Russian ladies is tough every year, and getting more and more difficult. This year alone we've got Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, and Radionova fighting for spots. Plus Tuk is on a mighty comeback of her own. Add to Leonova the following names: Serafima, Pogo, possibly Proklova. So Alena has her work cut out for her and insane competition. If she can remain consistently good and if the others falter, she could be back on top of the pile. Remember that around 04-06 the Japanese had Fumie, then Miki and Mao came on the scene, plus Yukari too, but it was Shizuka amongst the three who was first to claim a world title and the only one still to win Olympics, so you never know what will happen.

Good luck Alena!! :) And thanks for the post!

I sometimes forget what a tough road she has ahead of her. It's almost scary to imagine how difficult it will be for any Russian skater hoping to make the World Team. Alena could land six triples, perform with her usual fire, and still not make the team. All the more reason for me to respect her.

It may sound sappy but, I like all the Russian girls for different reasons. Now, with Russia being so deep, I'm going to have to figure out a way to deal with one of my favorites not making the team.....

Except Sotnikova !!! If she doesn't make the World Team, I will literally cry. :cry:

anyanka

Record Breaker
I sometimes forget what a tough road she has ahead of her. It's almost scary to imagine how difficult it will be for any Russian skater hoping to make the World Team. Alena could land six triples, perform with her usual fire, and still not make the team. All the more reason for me respect her.

It may sound sappy but, I like all the Russian girls for different reasons. Now, with Russia being so deep, I'm going to have to figure out a way to deal with one of my favorites not making the team.....

Except Sotnikova !!! If she doesn't make the World Team, I will literally cry. :cry:

I wonder what will happen if Leonova decides to skate for another country, providing that the federation releases her and she secures funding? Not that she needs to, but it might be a smart move if she wants to bypass national competition and get to another Olympics. I was thinking - purely speculation only!! - that she could compete for Canada like Lyubov is now in pairs with Dylan Moscovitch, since Kate O is out for awhile on injury and the country might be looking for a great consistent competitive skater. Would Leonova perhaps be courted by other countries with deep pockets to skate for them? It might improve her chances to make another Olympics.*

*Again, this is purely speculative and I am not suggesting she defect or gain a second passport unless she actually wants to!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I wonder what will happen if Leonova decides to skate for another country, providing that the federation releases her and she secures funding? Not that she needs to, but it might be a smart move if she wants to bypass national competition and get to another Olympics. I was thinking - purely speculation only!! - that she could compete for Canada like Lyubov is now in pairs with Dylan Moscovitch, since Kate O is out for awhile on injury and the country might be looking for a great consistent competitive skater. Would Leonova perhaps be courted by other countries with deep pockets to skate for them? It might improve her chances to make another Olympics.*

*Again, this is purely speculative and I am not suggesting she defect or gain a second passport unless she actually wants to!

I personally will fully support such her decision because FS means a lot to her and she wants to be able to give it all. Just going to B-level competitions is not enough. And getting past the 3 only hurdle is unlikely - other Russians are stronger: next year Sakhanovich will join and then others. And I am all for letting the best to compete at the Worlds. Take for example 100 m men - it is hard to imagine the more prestigious individual sport event in principle. At the latest Worlds in Moscow there were 4 Jamaikans in the final and "the worst" of them Nickel Ashmeade was fifth with 9.98. In track-n-field they saw no issue that 4 participants out 8 in the main event were from one country because they are just the best. The "tragedy" will be if Alena is a patriot and does not want to change the flag.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
I was thinking - purely speculation only!! - that she could compete for Canada like Lyubov is now in pairs with Dylan Moscovitch, since Kate O is out for awhile on injury and the country might be looking for a great consistent competitive skater. Would Leonova perhaps be courted by other countries with deep pockets to skate for them? It might improve her chances to make another Olympics.*

It is quite an idea but in Canada she would not probably receive more support than she does now, on the contrary - much less. She isn't now in best paid group, but I think she has more or less the same support as Liza Tuktamysheva and just look at Liza's shape now! The most favourable for Leonova way would be Russia being involved both in the Europeans and in the 4CC. The alternative may be the country less engaged in figure skating, I mean, less known but still providing some suport in order to have a decent skater. I think for example about Israel, Georgia, Azerbaijan or Poland.*

*of course, still pure speculations

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Might be a bit of an issue, given that she's very proudly Russian - even won a World silver for Russia - but it would be a good move for her to move to somewhere like Canada where she'd get a lot of support and have a wayyyy better shot at another Olympics - or even Worlds.

It's a supremely difficult road for her though once Sakhanovich/Medvedeva/etc. move up... the Russian women's field is insanely deep and if I were Leonova/Gosviani/etc. I would seriously consider competing for another country.

It might come as a "betrayal" if she goes to another country to have a much better shot at Worlds, but anyone with half a brain should understand.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Might be a bit of an issue, given that she's very proudly Russian - even won a World silver for Russia - but it would be a good move for her to move to somewhere like Canada where she'd get a lot of support and have a wayyyy better shot at another Olympics - or even Worlds.

Canada seems to be a great choice but if it really is so, then why we have so little foreign skaters representing Canada? Lubov and some of the American only. Balde was born in Russia, but his family moved to Canada when he was 2 years old. Wouldn't be a better decision to choose a country more eager to pay her, with slight competition and looking for any good skater? A country like this would probably be extremely happy of 2012 World runner-up.

MalAssada

Medalist
I think it's a nice thing to be discussed/speculated not only for Leonova, but for everyone, since I'm curious about notions of patriotism when it comes to figure skating. I'm new at this, but I always thought of figure skating as a sport one plays alone. The Team Event was a nice change - I enjoyed watching the whole team cheering for their teammates in the K&C.

Anyway, here's my question: When it comes to the underdogs of big countries, what keeps them there, when they may have bigger chances when skating for other federations? I could come up with a few points (Federation $$$ support, home country, feeling of bigger achievement when being the top skater among such a deep field, need of sitting out for 2 years) but the competition itself makes results even harder to achieve.

Final question: Is it worth the risk?

PS: Sorry for stealing the thread, I hope Leonova has a great season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Canada seems to be a great choice but if it really is so, then why we have so little foreign skaters representing Canada? Lubov and some of the American only. Balde was born in Russia, but his family moved to Canada when he was 2 years old. Wouldn't be a better decision to choose a country more eager to pay her, with slight competition and looking for any good skater? A country like this would probably be extremely happy of 2012 World runner-up.

I agree. I'm not sure how easy or how long it takes to become a citizen in different countries but, she could certainly become National Champion in several countries. I would guess that countries with strong federations like Russia, would also have strong skaters, so it may be difficult for her financially.

I would guess that Finland has a strong federation but, she'd have to be on her game to win in Finland. Are there countries with strong federations that don't already have a strong female skater representing them ?

It's certainly worth looking into as the Russian Team is not only deep, they're also quite young.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think it's a nice thing to be discussed/speculated not only for Leonova, but for everyone, since I'm curious about notions of patriotism when it comes to figure skating. I'm new at this, but I always thought of figure skating as a sport one plays alone. The Team Event was a nice change - I enjoyed watching the whole team cheering for their teammates in the K&C.

Anyway, here's my question: When it comes to the underdogs of big countries, what keeps them there, when they may have bigger chances when skating for other federations? I could come up with a few points (Federation $$$ support, home country, feeling of bigger achievement when being the top skater among such a deep field, need of sitting out for 2 years) but the competition itself makes results even harder to achieve.

Final question: Is it worth the risk?

PS: Sorry for stealing the thread, I hope Leonova has a great season.

Not at all for "stealing"! I brought it up as speculation only. But there have been a lot of changes in the last few years and it's not entirely a new phenomenon. This goes way back to when Anissina competed for France and became its most decorated ice dancer. The Duchesnays technically could have stayed with Canada but opted to also compete for France as well. Yuko Kavaguti has to give up her native Japanese passport just to compete in the Olympics. Isabella Tobias is switching countries now I believe (Ilia Tkachenko as well?). Even Volosozhar switched from Ukraine to Russia and it got her and Trankov a pair of gold medals. If we want a more direct example of a single lady changing nationalities, Polina Shelepen switching to Israel from Russia comes to mind. And Mervyn Tran won a world bronze in pairs for Japan in 2012, but not even that was enough to get him citizenship for the Olympics and he and Narumi had to split up.

It's certainly a worthy question, so perhaps we can start this as another topic? And if a country allows dual citizenship, it might be worth exploring. And I'm not at all advocating for Alena to switch countries, but putting it out there as another option.

Here's hoping Alena enjoys herself this year and does well. :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Well, Canada is still a competitive nation in pairs and ice dance, so it doesn't make sense to come here for those disciplines unless you come from a country that's way more competitive (i.e. pairs in Russia, hence Lubov making the move).

In men's skating there isn't really any country other than Japan with a hugely deep field, so it doesn't make sense to move (although some male skaters have left Canada, e.g. Denis Margalik/Fedor Andreev) to better your chances elsewhere.

Ladies is the obvious discipline for Russian/US skaters to move to Canada (Japanese skaters lose citizenship). With Osmond struggling, and not a lot of huge competition from Chartrand/Daleman at this point, a well-established skater like Leonova could actually flourish here compared to fighting a sea of Russian youngsters. I highly doubt Leonova will move though, as Russian has always been her country of success, and she would probably get flack for defecting even if everyone knows it would better her chances.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree. I'm not sure how easy or how long it takes to become a citizen in different countries but, she could certainly become National Champion in several countries. I would guess that countries with strong federations like Russia, would also have strong skaters, so it may be difficult for her financially.

I would guess that Finland has a strong federation but, she'd have to be on her game to win in Finland. Are there countries with strong federations that don't already have a strong female skater representing them ?

It's certainly worth looking into as the Russian Team is not only deep, they're also quite young.

Not at all. She would easily take the Finnish title, unless Korpi has a big comeback.

And yes, her biggest problem is that the Russian field is deep and young... like there's so much talent that they're having to spread themselves thinly across Junior/Senior. The top 10 Russians can all land 3-3 and the majority can land 3Z+3T or 3F+3T. The fact that Leonova even made it to Euros and continues to be a factor is impressive in itself.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not at all. She would easily take the Finnish title, unless Korpi has a big comeback.

And yes, her biggest problem is that the Russian field is deep and young... like there's so much talent that they're having to spread themselves thinly across Junior/Senior. The top 10 Russians can all land 3-3 and the majority can land 3Z+3T or 3F+3T. The fact that Leonova even made it to Euros and continues to be a factor is impressive in itself.

Does Finland have two spots just in case Korpi does make a strong return ? Korpi is a big star and I can imagine her fed holding her up even if she were outskated by Alena. I'd just really hate to see someone like Alena not make the Podium at Nationals. However, in Russia, she really is a long shot.